Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Dreading today :(

(4 Posts)
CollyWombles Thu 22-Feb-18 08:40:11

Long story short, I'm a manager of a small business and today I have to tell a colleague that I've worked with for nearly two years and am very fond of, that he is being laid off due to a serious downturn in trade.

My boss made the decision and I agree that it's necessary, it doesn't make it any easier though.

He is young and like a little brother almost, I have a soft spot for him as generally people find him a bit loud and overbearing but he is actually very gentle and work will feel very strange without him.

I know this unfortunately goes hand in hand with my job, It's just we are a small team and one of them is going. I will of course give him a glowing reference and should trade pick up enough to need someone again, should he want to, he could come back.

Not sure what I'm looking for in posting this, I suppose I feel guilty. Like kicking a friend sad

MammaTJ Thu 22-Feb-18 08:47:15

That does sound tough! Poor you, poor him!

I have no useful advice, just wanted to let you know I understand how hard this will be.

CollyWombles Thu 22-Feb-18 08:49:08

Thank you, I appreciate that. Obviously overall it's far worse for him. My boss was going to do it but I told him I would. So it's my own doing, but I know my colleague will find it easier coming from me if that makes any sense and he will know that it is unavoidable.

JsOtherHalf Thu 22-Feb-18 19:41:28

How did it go?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now