Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

How do you tolerate a manager you don’t respect?

(15 Posts)
Cerrocoandblack Wed 21-Feb-18 21:27:49

‘Cause mines a bloody idiot blush

I’ve had great managers in the past, male and female. I started a new job around 6 months ago, very female heavy, my manager was one of us and was promoted 2 years ago. But she doesn’t seem to have made the transition from one of us to management.

For example: the first day I started working there I got home and she’d sent me a friend request. Ok bit weird but whatever. And then the posts started coming....she shares and sends and tags me in utter shit. You know those hoax stories about Romanian people kidnapping children and shaving their heads in the toilets at Tesco...yup tagged me in that as I have DC. She shares missing children posts which are 3 years old and from the US and a quick google shows they were found the next day. Chain mail posts, wha colour is your bra for breast cancer crap. ALL of it. I lose a little bit of respect for her every time.

She is completely unable to disipline anyone as she wants to be mates. One of the admin girls sent out a letter littered with mistakes “we was not sure” “in that case it would be a know”...and she did nothing. She was completely unable to pull her up on it.

Today she hit me over the head with a ring binder. I wish I was joking! It was in a jokey way as she walked past but I was just like what the actual fuck?! Who does that? I’m a grown woman with 3DC ffs.

Oh god I’m going to have to leave my job aren’t I hmm

Cerrocoandblack Wed 21-Feb-18 21:42:47

Tiny bump

00100001 Wed 21-Feb-18 21:49:17

Just spend your days athennd company resources looking for a new job

Muchtoomuchtodo Wed 21-Feb-18 21:50:09

You're going to have to bring it up in supervision and see how it goes.

Efrig Wed 21-Feb-18 21:51:01

I left my last job due to losing all respect for my manager. I actually grew to despise her due to her weakness and weasely ways.

Only you know how much you can put up with. Can you change your settings so you don’t have to see the garbage she sends you?

iklboo Wed 21-Feb-18 21:51:52

Nicked from another thread but tell get to FOCUS.

Which stands for:

Fuck Off Cos Ur Stupid grin

iklboo Wed 21-Feb-18 21:52:08

Tell her

RadioDorothy Wed 21-Feb-18 21:52:35

I've been a manager a few times and loathed it, I was pretty shit...but even I wasn't as shit as that! Grit your teeth and a) find another job or b) go for hers.

annandale Wed 21-Feb-18 21:55:00

Yeah, get another job. You won't be the only one going and tbuy sounds like the organisation is doomed.

Cerrocoandblack Wed 21-Feb-18 21:59:09

NHS....we just keep rolling on wink

I can’t hide her posts, she very earnestly asks me if I’ve seen them the next day because you can never be too careful. I had to bite my lip so I didn’t shout “SNOPES YOU BLOOODY IDIOT”

VioletCharlotte Wed 21-Feb-18 22:01:16

I started a new job 6 weeks ago (also NHS) and have a manager who is quite similar, in that's she wants to be best mates with all the team and doesn't pick up on all the stuff they're not doing well.

I'm looking for another job.

Cerrocoandblack Wed 21-Feb-18 22:07:33

Violet, is really embarrassing isn’t it? You don’t want to be the person telling tales all day but also the standard of work coming out of the department is shocking!

Muchtoomuchtodo Wed 21-Feb-18 22:09:27

Just unfriend her and if she asks say that you found her posts quite unnerving.

You're going to have to be honest if there's any chance of things changing no matter how horrible it feels to have the conversation. I can empathise - I'm in a similar situation and counting the days until my first supervision session with my new boss.

Cerrocoandblack Wed 21-Feb-18 22:22:22

I’ve never had supervision?!

Muchtoomuchtodo Thu 22-Feb-18 21:07:42

Really? What dept do you work in?

I'm a Physio and have supervision with my band 7 monthly and I supervise more junior staff more frequently than that.

Perhaps you could look into the policy where you work and ask?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now