Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

what's the daughter equivalent of "mansplaining"?

(60 Posts)
Balcanoona Wed 21-Feb-18 19:41:45

so my two DDs (10 and 12) have been carefully -patronizing- explaining to me that don't you know that such and such a jumper is what you wear to school discos and no we don't wear that for hockey practice anymore I need a word to sum up this unwarranted advice wink

UpstartCrow Wed 21-Feb-18 19:49:33

Tweenagers probably have their own word but are far too cool to share it with old people.

PyongyangKipperbang Wed 21-Feb-18 19:50:20

I dont know but I have the same problem.

Teensplaining?

MycatsaPirate Wed 21-Feb-18 19:50:27

Talk back to them in slang. Say 'OH. EM.GEEE! Really??' That's so OBVS!!

Then while they are incredulous/on the floor crying with laughter, slap the back of their heads and tell them to get a grip and walk away.

Bloody smart arse kids thinking they know it all! I hate this stage! grin

RickOShay Wed 21-Feb-18 19:50:46

pitysplaining grin
dd does this, drives me potty

RickOShay Wed 21-Feb-18 19:51:55

grin mycat

PyongyangKipperbang Wed 21-Feb-18 19:53:12

I said to DD the other day, when she pissed me off with her attitude "How did you do it?! How do you know absolutely everything aged 16 when I am 44 and clearly know nothing?!" angry

Judashascomeintosomemoney Wed 21-Feb-18 19:53:15

Oh I was going to say Tweensplaining, but Pyongyang beat me to it. grin

Judashascomeintosomemoney Wed 21-Feb-18 19:54:22

I used to get Tweensplained at every day. Now I get Teensplained at everyday. I look forward to getting millenialsplained at sometime in the near future.

Balcanoona Wed 21-Feb-18 19:58:58

Actually wise is probably MILsplaining

Balcanoona Wed 21-Feb-18 19:59:21

Wise - meant worst

PyongyangKipperbang Wed 21-Feb-18 20:03:23

There is a light at the end of the tunnel!

DD is now 20 and used to be the queen of teensplaining. I knew NOTHING about ANYTHING. I didnt understand anything, I had no experience of anything, I had no fashion sense, was useless and mean and selfish and you name it......

She is at Uni and a delight! She tells me about what she is doing but in a nice way, Little Miss Patronising is nowhere to be seen. She has actually thanked me a couple of times for things she deeply resented at the time, she had the good grace to laugh at the sulks she had when I made her cook or do laundry. She says she is glad I did when she looks a some of her housemates who havent got a clue.

DS is 27 and although he wasnt patronising, he was a moody git and he is a delight to be around now too.

Keep at it, it gets better I promise!

BertieBotts Wed 21-Feb-18 20:06:41

grin tweensplaining, love it! DS has started already.

HoarseMackerel Wed 21-Feb-18 20:20:17

DD is now 20 and used to be the queen of teensplaining. I knew NOTHING about ANYTHING. I didnt understand anything, I had no experience of anything, I had no fashion sense, was useless and mean and selfish and you name it......

This! My 17 yo really thinks I can't do anything or I don't know anything at all (conveniently forgetting that I've managed to bring her and her brother up on my own and I've got a job and I can drive and everything!)
sad

SpinningBob Wed 21-Feb-18 20:43:10

My 2 year old explained to me today how to properly brush my teeth, as apparantly they are not properly brushed until you have a wee chew on the brushhmmgrin Seems like I have lots more to look forward to.

Balcanoona Wed 21-Feb-18 22:43:46

?totsplaining?

BasiliskStare Wed 21-Feb-18 22:58:54

Sorry , not daughters but perhaps applicable

Mark Twain

“When I was a boy of 14, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be 21, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years.”

DisgraceToTheYChromosome Wed 21-Feb-18 23:31:24

Getting a fair bit of newmumsplaining from DD, but as she has produced the Stupor Mundi I'm cutting her slack.

She did make me chuckle though when she asked me if the terrible fear for DGS would ever stop. "No dear, you just fear different things. Oh, and when you become a grandparent, it intensifies".

DeathStare Thu 22-Feb-18 13:01:55

My teenager tried to explain to me who Boy George is last night in a completely patronising "you'll have never heard of him" kind of way

AlmaCogansFrockFan Thu 22-Feb-18 13:25:48

Basilisk you beat me to it - all down the page I was thinking Mark Twain and his comment - at least he had the grace (and the wit) to admit the fault of his teenage self!

Devastatedupset Thu 22-Feb-18 13:39:57

I’ve never heard the Mark Twain quote .... I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THAT!!

As pp’s have said ... they do get better as they get older.

spinning ... that is so lovely, made me smile a lot.

ThumbWitchesAbroad Thu 22-Feb-18 13:47:43

I "love" tweensplaining - I have one who does it! He's 10.
But I also have a 5yo, who has been 'splaining to me since he was 4 (and possibly before) - what would we call that? Childsplaining? Knowitallsplaining? grin
Except in his case I think he just likes to showcase his knowledge (and sometime lack thereof) so he probably doesn't mean to childsplain, whereas the 10yo definitely does hmm

BeyondThePage Thu 22-Feb-18 13:48:30

Politics is our new ground... Apparently "under Labour" things would be better, with magical unicorns and rainbows and fluff no mum, not under Labour like Tony Blair... under proper labour...

Ohhhhhhh.... the Labour like we old-timers ACTUALLY lived under in the 70s then...

Gwynfluff Thu 22-Feb-18 13:48:42

My 12 year old announced in the New Year that she hadn’t heard us shouting her for tea as she’d been Netflix binging on this show called ‘Friends’. Announced in a tone of voice implying we’d never have heard of it or ever understand why it was so addictive to watch...

iklboo Thu 22-Feb-18 13:55:16

DS gets The Look. He knows he's getting The Look even if I'm behind him grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: