Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Have I just done something really stupid?

(23 Posts)
Passthepiriton Wed 21-Feb-18 17:35:06

I have a smoothie maker, it’s new and I bought some Aldi Cacao powder to chuck in. I made a nice fruit smoothie and am now itching like mad and feel a bit unusual. Here’s the thing. I’m allergic to pulses. Is cacao a pulse? It smelled and looked like bro chocolate!blush

LuxuryMilk Wed 21-Feb-18 17:36:26

Oh I don’t know! I suppose it maybe is?
How allergic are you?

LuxuryMilk Wed 21-Feb-18 17:39:22

I don’t think it is, I think it’s a bean.

Passthepiriton Wed 21-Feb-18 17:40:21

Isn’t a bean a pulse? I’m allergic enough to feel quite rough right now! sad

Mamimawr Wed 21-Feb-18 17:42:02

Do you have anyone with you?

BrieAndChilli Wed 21-Feb-18 17:44:24

Do you eat chocolate??

LunarGirl Wed 21-Feb-18 17:44:33

Have you got an epi pen or antihistamine?

Passthepiriton Wed 21-Feb-18 17:46:19

I eat loads of chocolate but only stuff with sunflower lecithin in. Soy lecithin sets me off. Husband due home shortly, and troubling antihistamine.

ElenaBothari Wed 21-Feb-18 17:46:24

It’s a pulse. Do you have anybody with you? Do you need to use an epi pen?

Eyre89 Wed 21-Feb-18 17:48:48

It says pulses include beans lentils and peas online

nythbran2 Wed 21-Feb-18 17:54:57

Cacao is not a legume (pea,bean,pulse family). It's Theobroma cacao - the seeds are called cocoa beans, the same way coffee seeds are called coffee beans, but they are not related to legume beans.

Passthepiriton Wed 21-Feb-18 17:59:04

I wonder what has caused this then? I had a shitty “mug shot” at lunch.

Passthepiriton Wed 21-Feb-18 18:00:53

Just looked at the ingredients and there’s nothing obvious. Even the inside of my ears are itchy.

Passthepiriton Wed 21-Feb-18 18:02:18

Ahhhhhh. I had a handful of mini eggs at school and they apparently have maize in them. Bollocks.

Lindy2 Wed 21-Feb-18 18:02:27

How allergic are you usually? Itchy and uncomfortable or struggling to breathe allergic? It is pissible to develop new allergies at any time.

Lindy2 Wed 21-Feb-18 18:02:52

Possible! blush

Riverside2 Wed 21-Feb-18 18:03:31

okay, if we don't know for sure what it is, then I'd take whatever action you take when you are sure you are having an allergic reaction, just in case.

hope you're okay.

londonflotsam Wed 21-Feb-18 18:06:07

Just wanted to add, if you're feeling unusual compared to a normal reaction to pulses (I don't know much about allergies) that if you have bought pure raw cacao powder I find it very strong -- I used to make hot chocolate with it and stopped because it was giving me what felt like very intense caffeine jitters.

Passthepiriton Wed 21-Feb-18 18:06:42

I’ve not had a full on anaphylactic shock thing for 20 years and this thing with maize and pulses and stuff has only come on in the last year. I have lots of other allergies too, mostly chemicals but thought I was mostly ok with food, especially chocolate related!

diodati Wed 21-Feb-18 18:08:12

I'm also allergic to pulses, or legumes, such as peanuts, peas, chickpeas and lentils. I'm also allergic to soybeans. They probably added one of these veg proteins in the powder. Cacao is chocolate, I'm pretty sure! Do you have anaphylaxis? If so, you need your epipen!

Reallycantbebothered Wed 21-Feb-18 18:21:12

What else did you put in smoothie, could it be any of the other ingredients?....what are your usual symptoms if allergic, to be on safe side it might be take whatever medication you take to counteract such a reaction- make sure epipen is close at hand if it worsens

Passthepiriton Wed 21-Feb-18 20:22:28

Feeling a lot better but still spacey after lots of antihistamine. Going to be very careful over the next few days, I seem to be very reactive.

diodati Thu 22-Feb-18 07:09:26

Check the ingredients on the packet! Hope you're okay, OP.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now