Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

What shall I cook for my very trad inlaws?

(63 Posts)
Growingboys Wed 21-Feb-18 15:09:10

Inlaws coming over on Saturday and I need to cook something for dinner everyone (including children) will like. Preferably something easy, and even something I could cook on Friday night so most of the work is done.

However FIL is very traditional and does not like 'foreign' food. I once made him (a delicious) lasagne and though he ate it, I could see him slightly horrified. Not in a racist way at all - they're not like that and are lovely - but they are old and used to traditional English cooking.

Any suggestions? I was thinking maybe chicken pie but am feeling a bit tired and hungover and hoped the wisdom of Mumsnet could help me...

Mymouthgetsmeintrouble Wed 21-Feb-18 15:12:01

Gammon , new potatoes , veg and parsley sauce or sausage and mash

EffingJeffer Wed 21-Feb-18 15:14:26

Cottage pie? Can be made the day before, stored in the fridge and then bunged in the oven on Saturday. Very traditional but easy and a hearty meal.

martellandginger Wed 21-Feb-18 15:14:40

Roast chicken, pie and mash, sausage and mash, gammon egg and chips, lamb casserole. Just look at a weatherspoons menu and take out the foreign food. 😂

HollyBayTree Wed 21-Feb-18 15:16:06

Just do a roast dinner. It doesnt require any attention, just bung it in the oven

gingercat02 Wed 21-Feb-18 15:16:23

Cottage/Shepherds pie
Roast dinner
Beef stew
Fish pie
Sausages and mash
With veg of your choosing. All cook ahead apart from the roast?

mumzuki Wed 21-Feb-18 15:18:09

Gammon, definitely. Cauliflower cheese and new potatoes with it.

OhCalamity Wed 21-Feb-18 15:23:08

Roast dinner.

Do all the prep on Friday evening then just bung it in the oven on the day.

Aprilshowerswontbelong Wed 21-Feb-18 15:24:42

Egg + chips.
Very British!!

MyBrilliantDisguise Wed 21-Feb-18 15:26:37

Do a big Gratin Dauphinois the night before - I use grated cheese as well as cream. Cook it for an hour the night before, then heat it again the next day until you can put a sharp knife easily through it.

Then on the day itself roast a chicken (the GD can go in the oven with it) and serve it with carrots and green beans (or whatever vegetables they'll eat.)

DullAndOld Wed 21-Feb-18 15:27:09

Prawn Cocktail

Chicken Supremes/Kievs with new potatoes and veg

Black Forest Gateau

VandelayIndustries Wed 21-Feb-18 15:28:18

Cottage pie is a good idea.

Salmon and new potatoes?

HeyMicky Wed 21-Feb-18 15:29:37

Beef bourguignon - not that foreign. It's my MIL's favourite "smart" dish.

Do it in the slow cooker, serve with boiled new potatoes and green beans.

DarthArts Wed 21-Feb-18 15:32:04

It sounds like a pfaff but it's not - Nigellas ham cooked in coke. Most of the time you're just ignoring it...actual hands on effort is minimal.

Just plonk a joint of gammon in a pot and cover it with full fat coke. Bung in 10 peppercorns and a an onion cut in half (don't need to peel it).

Simmer for 2.5/3 hours on the hob (or put in oven with a lid on).

Remove and drain. Save the liquid. Trim off the skin leaving a layer of fat. All this can be done the day before then put in fridge.

Red cabbage - shred and cook in the liquid from the ham. Again do the day before.

When you want to eat, drizzle the ham with black treacle. Put in a medium oven for an hour and a half to set the glaze and warm through (treacle is easier to apply if you warm it first btw).

Re-heat the cabbage on the hob.

Serve also with mash or new potatoes (if the kids don't like red cabbage I just open a tin of sweet corn for them).

Tastes wonderful. You can also vary by using cherry coke and making the glaze from cherry jam. Again has to be full fat coke.

Word of warning - don't say it's cooked in coke to PIL. Just say treacle glazed or cherry glazed ham.

Ham left over is great in sandwich's, omelettes etc

MrsLettuce Wed 21-Feb-18 15:32:46

Fish pie. Dead easy, v traditional and fine to make in advance. Serve with peas.

Tinned peaches and evap cream for afters.

katmarie Wed 21-Feb-18 15:33:46

some ideas:

Beef stew done in the slow cooker.
Steak and baked potatoes
fish pie (make in advance and pop into the oven)
toad in the hole with mash
a chunky soup of some sort (again, you can makeit in advance)

AdaColeman Wed 21-Feb-18 15:34:14

Another vote for a roast dinner, chicken would probably be the favourite. Do all the prep the night before, keep it simple, Gratin Potatoes are a good idea.
Fruit crumble for pudding, again can be prepared in advance.

DullAndOld Wed 21-Feb-18 15:34:40

talking of the luscious Nigella, what about her trifle for 'afters' as you can make it the night before, and if you put enough sherry in it, the in laws will fall asleep in the afternoon.
sorry about the mail link. I just used ready made custard from Lidl.

crackerjacket Wed 21-Feb-18 15:40:01

Chicken casserole. Make it the day before re-heat in oven with some jacket spuds if needed.

Chicken casserole :

6 chicken fillets, sliced horizontally
2 onions - diced
3/4 carrots - diced
Small turnip - diced
Chicken stock - pint and a half-ish
Garlic, if you think FIL can handle it

Fry onion, carrot, turnip in oil on a low heat for ten mins. Dust chicken in seasoned flour. Remove veg from pan. Add splash more oil. Fry chicken until golden on both sides, do this in batches. Remove chicken from pan. De-glaze pan with a splash of water, scrape bits off. Return chicken and veg to pan. Add chicken stock - it should just cover the meat and veg. Bake for an hour and a half. You could add bacon and mushrooms to this if you fancied.

Serve with JP'S or mash, and greens.

crackerjacket Wed 21-Feb-18 15:43:40

And if you really want a mention in the will stick a jam sponge in the oven too.

NoStraightEdges Wed 21-Feb-18 15:44:55

What about a sausage and cider casserole? Make it the day before and reheat on the day. You could even make the mash the day before and reheat that in the oven too.

ShowMeTheElf Wed 21-Feb-18 15:45:08

Slow cooked brisket:it makes it's own gravy so you can just take it out and slice over mash and veg.

Passthecake30 Wed 21-Feb-18 15:46:53

Roast chicken, steak and chips, gammon mash and peas

Pretty much my go - to's with the inlaws

Wincarnis Wed 21-Feb-18 15:47:37

Lancashire Hot Pot
Stew & Dumplings
Toad in the Hole
And as you’ve got the oven on, fruit crumble or sponge for pudding

MichaelBendfaster Wed 21-Feb-18 15:48:09

I'd do cottage or shepherd's pie, with a couple of veg sides – maybe green beans and carrots, depending on what people like. Steamed or microwaved green beans with some butter, and I'd probably roast the carrots in the oven alongside the pie.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now