Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

My baby will NOT stop crying...

(70 Posts)
Tootsings Wed 21-Feb-18 14:04:16

He's 3 months old.

Won't stop crying. Never before has he done this.

He woke up today and hasn't stopped since. I'm not exaggerating. He's only stopped for a few seconds max at separate intervals, when he's so exhausted from the crying that he briefly drifts off out of exhaustion.

I don't know what to do for him sad he has never been like this before! He's always a perfect, quiet little thing.

My boobs are squirting milk everywhere and I can't express because I can't leave him. I left him for 10 minutes to have a shower and came back to meltdown of the absolute highest order.

Holding him isn't helping. I never let him cry anyway but it's making no difference with me holding him. Although I'm doing it anyway because it breaks my heart to see him scream

What could it be?

Tootsings Wed 21-Feb-18 14:06:10

Oh sorry, forgot to add why I started the thread blush

My boobs are quitting everywhere because he hasn't fed since he woke up. He's refusing! Attacks me and scratches me when I try to latch him

Never her a single issue before

Makingworkwork Wed 21-Feb-18 14:07:20

I think he needs to be seen by a GP.

user1471459936 Wed 21-Feb-18 14:07:57

Teething? Calpol?

Madlizzy Wed 21-Feb-18 14:07:59

He sounds like he's out of sorts. Might be worth a trip to the GP. Have a look in his mouth just to check if he's got thrush, as that will stop him feeding and make him miserable. Definitely get him checked out though.

Tootsings Wed 21-Feb-18 14:08:26

Making I see, I will try and get an appointment but I'm fooling myself as they're always bloody out of them by 9.30am

SunnySeaShell Wed 21-Feb-18 14:08:44

Yes if this is really unusual behaviour then I'd agree a call to the GP is necessary. Hope you get sorted soon.

ohbitchplease Wed 21-Feb-18 14:09:07

Yeah, I'd take him to the GP just be sure. As per pp, have you tried Calpol?

FenellaMaxwellsPony Wed 21-Feb-18 14:09:47

First things first - check the baby’s fingers and toes, and genitals to make sure he hasn’t got a hair tourniquet.

Then I think you need to see the GP.

QueenOfGaviscon Wed 21-Feb-18 14:09:47

Strip both of you down and go skin to skin. My DD used to do this.

Tootsings Wed 21-Feb-18 14:09:47

Madizzy I've had a look in his mouth as suggested and I thrush that I can see of

SunnySeaShell Wed 21-Feb-18 14:09:58

Our GP is usually much better for children and babies than it is for adults where you're lucky if you ever get an appointment at all. Call and explain and hopefully they will help.

foxyfemke Wed 21-Feb-18 14:10:23

It's so hard when they can't tell you what's wrong. So first, have a hug.

Second, it could be something that makes swallowing painful, which might explain the refusal to feed. Could be a sore throat, an ear infection. Could be he's in pain. If it continues, I'd phone your GP surgery.

Tootsings Wed 21-Feb-18 14:11:10

Queen he usually loves a bit of skin to skin but is having none of it sad

I know it isn't possible since he's only 3 months but it's as if he's attacking me when I try skin contact or giving him breast.

QuiteLikely5 Wed 21-Feb-18 14:14:22

Go straight to the surgery. Tell the receptionist what you told us

I’m certain a gp will have a quick look

Young babies can dehydrate quickly

Tootsings Wed 21-Feb-18 14:16:35

Quite forgot to add, he hasn't had any calpol because I was thinking that's just for temperatures?

Tootsings Wed 21-Feb-18 14:17:17

Also, if I go there and they won't see him, what's my next step?

I feel like I will be laughed out the place for asking a GP to see a baby that is crying hmmblush

stinksworth Wed 21-Feb-18 14:27:41

Ask for an emergency appointment. GPs are really good about seeing babies and little ones asap and it's best to get things checked out.

Makingworkwork Wed 21-Feb-18 14:29:33

My GP always fits my toddler in and when she was a tiny baby they used to ring me if they had a cancellation for earlier in the day or say to ring back if she got worse.

ohbitchplease Wed 21-Feb-18 14:30:19

Yes, get an emergency appointment. They will see him and you will NOT be laughed at. Not being able to get liquids into a small baby is serious.

Madlizzy Wed 21-Feb-18 14:36:34

Don't be afraid to give him a bit of Calpol. It's very effective for pain relief in small babies.

Wetwashing00 Wed 21-Feb-18 14:38:36

I’m sure they won’t refuse a crying baby in the surgery, take him in so they can hear it too.
My son did this once from 4pm...pushing me away, not feeding just screaming. I eventually got to A&E at 11.30pm and he stopped the minute I got through the doors and started beaming at everyone. I just turned around and walked out. He was coming up to 4 months at the time

notsureifimbeingur Wed 21-Feb-18 14:39:20

My little girl went through something similar. I was told it could be a nursing/feeding strike- for whatever reason. For example I might have sneezed once whilst she was feeding and gave her a fright, and then she associated that ‘fright’ with feeding and cried every time since. It took a few days to get her out of it, but just constant attempts, distraction worked, almost get her to feed without realising she is feeding. I find it helps if you can try a different position/bottle teat/different person to feed her, to trick them into thinking it’s a different thing you are doing, and not actually feeding! And before they realise what’s happening they are quite happily feeding away, and you’ve broken the cycle of crying.

Don’t know if this will help or I’m maybe waffling, but remember ‘it’s a phase’ and will pass. Best wishes.

crackerjacket Wed 21-Feb-18 14:41:23

Take him to the GP, just go, even without an appointment

He could have a urine infection. DD had one at the same age

Isadora2007 Wed 21-Feb-18 14:42:51

Have you anyone else you can ask to come and be with you? Sometimes babies can pick up on your stress and so someone else holding him could check this theory and help calm you down too maybe? If he hasn’t fed in so long then that is a matter for the GP so give them a call. I hope he is okay.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now