Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Is coconut oil good or bad for you?

(15 Posts)
Mrstumbletap Wed 21-Feb-18 13:22:31

So a few recipes I have been looking at say to use coconut oil.

I have never used it so did a simple Google search and there are articles saying it's good for you, raises good cholesterol etc. But loads of articles saying it's a lie, it's full of saturated fat.

So what do you all think? Do you use it? Do you think it's good for you?

ShowMeTheElf Wed 21-Feb-18 13:27:36

not recommended by most nutrition guidance Good for moisturiser/scrubs etc though.

DGRossetti Wed 21-Feb-18 13:53:58

Everything will taste of coconut ...

tobee Wed 21-Feb-18 14:00:40

It's quite complicated and, like a lot of these things, different people say different things. For eg some say it raises good cholesterol.

Rumpledfaceskin Wed 21-Feb-18 14:00:43

No idea really but I use it for curries because it’s yummy. I’d use it for taste only rather than health benefits but I know people who guzzle the stuff and they do look very healthy with nice skin and hair. I think in moderation it can’t do any harm, I thought there was less hype about saturated fats now?

DGRossetti Wed 21-Feb-18 14:03:14

If anyone has heard of "drawing" for teeth, it's what I use it for ... takes a while but (since new year) seems to be working.

Tried it once to fry an egg ... hence I know it'll make anything taste of coconut.

tobee Wed 21-Feb-18 14:03:45

Sorry posted too soon. As you say, some say it raises good cholesterol . But others say it's too high in saturated fat. I tend to think these things good in fads and fashions and you could make a case either way. You have to take a very long view.

DianaPrincessOfThemyscira Wed 21-Feb-18 14:07:54

It’s just oil. Any oil is fine so long as you aren’t drinking it.

You can get flavourless coconut oil although not sure I’d try it with an egg!

SpringHen Wed 21-Feb-18 14:10:57

It has a higher smoking point than olive oil which makes it better for cooking.

Uncooked olive oil is healthy but it changes to unhealthy (like all oils) when cooked. The point at which oils change vary.

gingercat02 Wed 21-Feb-18 14:28:56

This is a really good article from a research charity

Birdbath99 Wed 21-Feb-18 14:34:20

Its fab for my skin!

kmc1111 Wed 21-Feb-18 14:35:30

Not the incredible miracle superfood some claim, but it’s generally good for you. It is mostly saturated fat, but there’s nothing wrong with that providing you eat normal amounts of it.

A lot of respected organisations are still peddling the very outdated ‘fat is bad, low-fat is good’ line, so they’ll be against coconut oil and lots of other fatty foods.

lljkk Wed 21-Feb-18 14:44:28

I would use lard or butter so don't really have problem with (saturated-fat full) coconut oil for cooking.

I hear crazy health claims for coconut oil that don't sound properly proven. And it costs more than butter or lard. So not sure why I'd choose it over butter.

Mrstumbletap Thu 22-Feb-18 19:20:54

Thanks all. It seems to be one of those things where we will probably know more in twenty years the long term benefits or effects.

specialsubject Thu 22-Feb-18 19:41:34

Strong flavoured stuff for curry.

BTW oil pulling is babble. And possibly dangerous babble, can cause pneumonia from inhaling it. Look up the science based medicine site.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now