Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

How much do you spend on food shopping?

(138 Posts)
Elabear Wed 21-Feb-18 09:18:24

I have no idea what a realistic budget is for food shopping for the week. We are a family of 4, 2 adults 2dc.

We shop at Tesco and Aldi, it seems like we are constantly spending money on food.

How much do you spend and how do you do your shopping, weekly or monthly etc?

I'm trying to be more organised confused

Hippadippadation Wed 21-Feb-18 10:11:07

I try to stick to £100 a week, for 2 adults and 2 young DC (3 & 6 years old). I do my main shop at LIDL and then top up at ASDA. I can spend between £30-£50 at LIDL, but it's ASDA that's my downfall and it usually ends up between £110-£120 all in. I pick up all kinds of offers & nice things! I could easily get it under £100 a week if I tried. But I like the nice things, haha.

DancesWithOtters Wed 21-Feb-18 10:13:17

We get Tesco deliveries. £40-45 a week for 2 adults. But I do loads of batch cooking and freezing.

Justonedayatatime11 Wed 21-Feb-18 10:13:56

2 adults, 1 4 year old and 5 cats. Normally around £80 a week but then with top ups for milk, bread etc. So probably £90.

strawberrysparkle Wed 21-Feb-18 10:14:16

We spent £40 - £50 a week for two adults and a cat.

MaidenMotherCrone Wed 21-Feb-18 10:16:37

£150pw for 4 adults.

PollyPerky Wed 21-Feb-18 10:21:44

we hover around the £80 mark for two adults, and all cleaning products, like laundry stuff, loo rolls, cotton wool , etc. It's hard to be precise as some weeks I spend hardly anything and run the freezer down then do a big shop the next week.

I don't buy any cakes, biscuits, puddings or ready meals but do like quality ingredients when I buy fish, free range chicken, meat etc. I use Ocado and have a delivery saver and top up from Waitrose.

PollyPerky Wed 21-Feb-18 10:24:33

The way I look at it is , I spend around £5 -£6 on our one mail meal each evening (salmon, fish, chicken, etc) so that around £40 a week. On top of that we eat a lot of fruit, veg, yoghurt, eggs, and then there is laundry liquid, loo rolls, and household stuff.

DancesWithOtters Wed 21-Feb-18 10:25:34

Ah, cat food isn't included in our Tesco shop, we get all that delivered in bulk from Amazon about every 6 months. That would add on a few quid to ours.

Do people spending more buy treats like branded chocolate and fizzy drinks? We probably buy 1 pack of value biscuits a week and some sparkling water, but we don't really buy snacks. Do buy wine though.

Every week I buy 1kg of mince or chicken or something and so a huge batch of bolognese/chilli/lasagne/shepherds pie, and box it up for the freezer, so we usually have 4-6 portions worth of different meals in the freezer. Then if we have a roast chicken or something on sunday that becomes leftovers for a pie or a curry for Monday.

I recommend batch cooking and a slow cooker to everyone in the world. It's changed my life.

InDubiousBattle Wed 21-Feb-18 10:25:56

£100-120 a week, that's for two adults and two dc (2 and 4). We shop at Aldi and Asda. That includes some fresh flowers most weeks, maybe a bottle of wine a week, cleaning stuff and nappies for one dc.

HamishBamish Wed 21-Feb-18 10:27:13

We usually spend around £60 per week for 2 adults and 2 children, but that doesn't include lunches. We shop mostly at Sainsbury's.

MrsDc7 Wed 21-Feb-18 10:27:41

Same here... two adults and three kids and feel like I spend ridiculous money on food. It's probably around £140 a week blush

MissCalamity Wed 21-Feb-18 10:30:08

2 Adults, 2 children around about £100. Shop between Morrisons/Tesco/Asda, sometimes Aldi but I always have to top up with the things I can't get at Aldi.

A good week is £70!

Aprilshowerswontbelong Wed 21-Feb-18 10:30:15

Minus pets around £150 for 2 adults +6 dc. Aldi +Asda.

Eolian Wed 21-Feb-18 10:30:51

Between £80 and £95 per week for two adults and two pre-teen dc. I shop mostly at Aldi and get a few bits at Booths.

Halebeke425 Wed 21-Feb-18 10:32:25

We shop at morrisons, one big shop a fortnight and I usually pick up fresh stuff to top up in the week while doing school run. Family of two adults two DC one baby and one cat. Overall it works out to roughly 85ish a week on average.

InDubiousBattle Wed 21-Feb-18 10:32:45

Dances I do buy some fizzy drinks for me and dp. I actually really like AldisMoser Roth chocolate but don't buy loads. I wish we had room for a second or much larger freezer!

PinkHeart5914 Wed 21-Feb-18 10:33:08

£150-£170 a week there is Me, Dh, 2 toddlers and 1 new born so the shopping bill does include nappies but no formula as I breastfeed. Also includes any toiletries, cleaning products, toilet roll, washing powder as and when needed but obviously don’t need these every week.

We do buy an awful lot of fresh fruit and veg though and i do think that bumps the price up, plus 2 bottles of good wine a week.

PerfectlySymmetricalButtocks Wed 21-Feb-18 10:35:17

I spend on average £20 a day.

PersonA Wed 21-Feb-18 10:35:29

£100 per week for 2 adults (at the moment)

Which I’ve just realised is rather a lot.

user1499786242 Wed 21-Feb-18 10:35:52

£70 a week Tesco delivery!
For 2 adults and one 2 year old
Pregnant so I know when the baby arrives that will go up to about £90 with nappies, wipes and potentially formula!
And then when they start weaning and eating god knows what it will be!
The rising prices are scary! We used to spend £50 a week! We don't even have that many treats x

SundaysFunday Wed 21-Feb-18 10:36:59

£120 per week (2 adults, 2 teens)
I meal plan and batch cook.

Quiddichcup Wed 21-Feb-18 10:37:28

Probably about 60 a week in Aldi. One adult and 1 teenager. This includes all food for the day. Breakfast, lunches, snacks and dinners. And all cleaning products/ loo roll etc.

Not toilteries.

I often think people that quote low prices forget they do a top up shop or two or eat out or get takeaway or even eat at their parents a few times a week.

WhyteKnyght Wed 21-Feb-18 10:39:29

Probably around £100 a week on average for 2 adults. More when the DSC are here, and quite a bit more when we have guests. That includes all household items, all wine/beer, and most of our toiletries. We buy mostly supermarket own brand with a few exceptions, but most of the food is organic so that brings the total up a fair bit. Rarely do a top-up shop. We shop at Ocado, or occasionally Waitrose.

I take packed lunches to work. DH annoys me by not bothering and then buying lunch or a snack at work, which I think is a total waste of money.

Jenala Wed 21-Feb-18 10:39:37

So, so much. About £120 a week for two adults, a 2 year old and a baby. That includes nappies for both and cleaning products 3rd but still it's ridiculous.

We don't buy meat or alcohol. We don't buy treats. We cook everything from scratch. We do eat fish two or three times a week but still it feels an enormous amount of money. I never bought branded stuff but have recently switched to economy versions of some items in an attempt to cut down.

DH is quite slight and has a physical job so eats a lot though, and he's very healthy so no cheap bread and ham sandwiches unfortunately. Weekdays he gets through 20 eggs, 5 tins of tuna, several heads of broccoli, 1-2kg sweet potatoes, loads of mayo, cheese and butter, 4 or 5 lettuces, a couple of big bags of nuts etc, plus dinners, so he's probably the reason. Feel like I'm constantly shopping.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now