Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

I can’t get my 2 year old to take his antibiotics

(31 Posts)
Summerdays2014 Tue 20-Feb-18 13:09:28

I have a 2 year old son and he has an infected toe. Got antibiotics but I can not get him to take them. I have tried... spoon, syringe, cup, diluting in water, masking taste with houmous, chocolate sauce, yoghurt, offering chocolate buttons, stickers, star chart, new car. I’ve tried pretending it’s calpol, vitamins, cough medicine each of which he happily takes. I’ve tried doing it in front of the tv, in the bath, me, my partner and MIL giving it to him, explaining why he has to have it, holding him down, giving it to his trains/teddy bears, watching dr brown bear on pepper pig. I’ve phoned the doctors and the pharmacist and both said that they can’t change change the medicine. I have no idea what to do now. He clamps his mouth shut or spits it out if we force it in. He screams, cries, runs away, bangs his head on the floor and it then takes him ages and ages to calm him down. I am meant to do this 4 times a day for a week. Does anyone have an advice?

Thanks in advance.

user1471459936 Tue 20-Feb-18 13:12:30

I think you can run under their chin to make them swallow. I've done that with my child when taking calpol.

user1471459936 Tue 20-Feb-18 13:12:44

Ugh. Rub not run.

sleepyhead Tue 20-Feb-18 13:13:46

Yes, use a syringe and stroke their chin/throat to encourage a swallow reflex.

It works on cats and recalcitrant toddlers..

Summerdays2014 Tue 20-Feb-18 13:20:06

Thanks both I’ll try the chin tip.

Pseudousername Tue 20-Feb-18 13:24:39

Does he still have milk at bedtime or in the morning? You could try mixing it in there if so?

RNBrie Tue 20-Feb-18 13:25:13

What is it?! My dd was prescribed an antibiotic once that was so vile if I could get her to swallow it she wretched it back up again. I tried it too and it was awful. I took her back to the hospital and they gave us another one to try that was much better.

Pseudousername Tue 20-Feb-18 13:25:15

Oh - and if you blow in their face quickly that also encourages a swallow!

Glassofredandapackofcrisps Tue 20-Feb-18 13:26:46

Yes blowing in the face only thing that works for my daughter too!

Summerdays2014 Tue 20-Feb-18 13:30:16

He still has a cup of night time milk so I’ll try that, thanks. Also the face blowing thing!

It’s flucloxacillin. It’s meant to be pineapple flavour! I feel for him because it’s not the nicest taste...

I’ve phoned the doctors and asked for an alternative and was told there was no other option which is unhelpful. How will he get better if he won’t take it?!?

RNBrie Tue 20-Feb-18 13:35:26

Is it bright pink?! I think that's the same one we had. My dd was a total trooper and would really try and keep it down but it was a disaster.

There are other broad spectrum antibiotics and i agree if they can't keep it down it won't help. Have you got a walk in centre you could try?

Summerdays2014 Tue 20-Feb-18 13:38:01

Yes bright pink! We do have a walk in centre so that’s a good idea, thanks.

fabulous01 Tue 20-Feb-18 13:38:06

Mine had abs once which were vile but essential

I had to use force, and aim for side of cheek and I accept it was harsh but it was needed.

If side of mouth they have to swallow.

It was either that or potentially get a lot worse. It took a few weeks before the child accepted anything from a syringe but the difference was seen in days so I knew it was the greater good ...

Greyland Tue 20-Feb-18 13:41:02

My 2 years old has adenoid and get recurrent throat infections. It's a complete nightmare to get him to take the antibiotics. He gets so distressed. We have tried all the tricks and nothing works. He even spits them out. You have all my sympathies. I hope your little one recovers quickly!

memoryfoammattresstopper Tue 20-Feb-18 13:41:19

Things I've tried and tested this week

Stick it in a 20ml syringe. Looks less and easier to hold

Choices: you take this nicely or I will make you take it. Don't faff around with teddies and the like

Catwrapping. Take a large bath towel, lie them on it, fold one arms across their chest and tightly wrap the towel over the arm. Repeat with the other arm and drip it in slowly while they are yelling.

Summerdays2014 Tue 20-Feb-18 13:45:05

Fabulous, I totally accept that he has to have it and I will have to use force! I just can’t get him to swallow it! Some good suggestions on here, thank you.

Greylands, it’s awful isn’t it. Thankfully it’s the first lot he’s ever had to take, can’t imsgine the stress of doing it regularly.

IkaBaar Tue 20-Feb-18 13:45:15

Flucloxacillin tastes awful! Dd had it for infected eczema. She seemed to accept it after a few days, so there might be hope.

The throat/chin stroking does work with toddlers and dogs!!

BlackeyedSusan Tue 20-Feb-18 13:45:42

yep sometimes they have no idea that kids will just not take the bloody things.

pink medicine diluted with neat ribena, and two spoons of sugar to mask the taste just a little bit.

best dr we had for medicine taking issues said he had to put dispersible paracetamol in cola to disguise it for his kids.

BlackeyedSusan Tue 20-Feb-18 13:47:03

yep, also recognise the towel wrapping, sitting astride them and clamping their arms to their sides...

simbobs Tue 20-Feb-18 13:50:48

I could have written this, and I wish we had had Mumsnet at the time. I failed with everything I tried. I even went to the pharmacy to ask if they could swap it for suppositories! DD never had her full dose but would have a little spread on slices of apple. I took her back to the Dr who even threatened to send her to hospital to take the meds intravenously. DD thought that sounded fine.... Luckily she survived.

Summerdays2014 Tue 20-Feb-18 13:51:52

I’ll try towel wrapping tonigh - thank you. I don’t know why they have to make it taste so bad! They must know that children won’t like it!
I just hope that this doesn’t scar him for life, I fell so awful forcing him and his distress is just awful to watch.

Greyland Tue 20-Feb-18 13:56:02

It's awful! Yes to the towel wrapping, sitting astride them etc.
It's the piercing cries which is awful to hear but they soon forget. My son forgets in a few seconds, I just start distracting him with a toy, a snack etc. or just resort to watching something on youtube. It's just getting it in his mouth and to swallow it that's the problem.

treeofhearts Tue 20-Feb-18 13:57:49

Have you tried using the syringe to squirt it right to the back of his tongue? Then the swallow reflex should kick in and he won't taste it much as there aren't as many taste buds.

If he was older I'd say inject it into a bit of bread and tell him to swallow it whole but being so young he might choke.

Adoodoobydoo Tue 20-Feb-18 14:01:24

My dd is the same with any medicine, even calpol. Usually it takes two of us. One to pin her down, the other to try and quickly get it into her mouth, if she screams in between clamping her jaw shut.

I've done it alone, using my legs to keep her down. Sorry that sounds so awful.

We had a brief period where she discovered she was such a clever girl that she could administer her medicine all by herself and was very happy to do that, but sadly that didn't last long.

Horrible, horrible, horrible.

ParadiseLaundry Tue 20-Feb-18 14:03:31

I had this with DS the same age as yours last month, chicken pox on his hands were infectedWe really could just do nothing to get him to take it and he pretty much stopped eating as he was so suspicious as to what was in it. We couldn't even mix it with anything as he could detect it in everything. Even the one that tastes nicer, the cherry one, has an awful after taste and is obvious when mixed with food. I refused to force him (as I can remember a very traumatic incident when I was about the same age which resulted in a decades long battle with ememephobia) but to be fair we weren't expected too. In the end the Dr said to just get as much in him as we could, bath it a few times a day and use fucidin on the affected areas and that seemed to do the trick. We managed to get some in him by squiring it in his mouth when he was play fighting and laughing with DH and squirting some into those creamy Quality Street sweets (presumably because he couldn't taste it on the outside it went straight down!)

Could you also ask for some Fucidin to be prescribed to maybe pick up a bit of the slack from what's going in?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now