Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Toddler seems very short!

(8 Posts)
HappyHipppy Tue 20-Feb-18 10:45:44

My DD is a chubby little thing but I’ve noticed for quite a while now that we never ever meet a baby her age who is shorter than her. I measured her height (couldn’t do length as she’s too strong willed to get her to lie flat and still for more than a nanosecond) and she’s measuring 72cm. She’s 21 months old. It seems rather short. DH & I are both normal height as is DD1. Is this anything I should be concerned about do you think? Grateful for any advice.

HappyHipppy Tue 20-Feb-18 11:09:04

?

Drinaballerina Tue 20-Feb-18 11:12:58

What does your red book say? Dd2 is 22 months and 79 cm, She is just very petite. There will always be outliers on the curves, so it isn't necessarily anything to worry about but since you are maybe chat to your hv to put your mind at rest?

user1471459936 Tue 20-Feb-18 11:13:25

I've just looked in the red book. That puts her off the bottom of the growth chart. Might be worth chatting to your health visitor.

MotherforkingShirtballs Tue 20-Feb-18 11:16:04

From a quick glance at DD's red book the average height for a girl of that age is around 82-85cm but the whole issue with averages and centiles is that there will always be children at the outside edges of the top and bottom centiles.

For what it's worth, my DD is 12mo and only 68cm which is roughly 2nd centile and no one has concerns about it.

MotherforkingShirtballs Tue 20-Feb-18 11:20:35

It has a note on the chart saying that height is slightly less than length (due to gravity maybe?) and they don't measure height until age 2 because of this so at 21mo they'd still measure length which will be slightly longer than 72cm.

HappyHipppy Tue 20-Feb-18 12:07:06

Thanks all. I’ve not seen the health visitor in a really long time so might pop along to the next clinic and ask. I’m sure it’s nothing, maybe she’s just due a growth spurt. Thanks for the info & advice ☺️

user1471530109 Tue 20-Feb-18 12:14:27

My dd has always been below the 0.4th centile. Way below. But she has always been massively underweight. She was prem and now under an endo.
I do however know lots of little children that have never had Dr intervention. I'm not entirely convinced my dd would have had it if she hadn't been so premature. I would mention it to HV but I wouldn't worry.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: