Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

If you have a 10yr old DD could you tell me what they enjoy doing?

(14 Posts)
Orlandsundry Tue 20-Feb-18 10:42:46

My DD is an only child, and going through a complete obsession with
-- ipad/youtube music videos
-- Abba
_ Hairstyles
_ Being fashionable
--Skulking in her room

I had thought that I had a few more years of her being a fun child before this moody teen thang kicked in.

I'm thinking about getting a dog to give us all a reason to leave the house. She doesn't really have any hobbies as we both work full time and goes to after school club. She does go to Brownies but is about to go up to Guides.

What do your DD's like doing? Give me some hope!

SersioulycanitgetWORSE Tue 20-Feb-18 10:55:56

Reading loads, computer games - animal jam, stuff like that, u tube. she loves visiting musuems ( london ones not boring local ones) at the weekend walks in woods, climbing trees...her scooter, cofee shops, hot choclates...she does brownies and drama club and we go out most sundays...

implantsandaDyson Tue 20-Feb-18 11:01:02

She likes going to the cinema, reading, drawing, watching YouTube, listening to music, organising playlists, going out on her bike, seeing her friends, watching tv series on Netflix and gossiping with her 12 year old sister. Sort of the same things I enjoyed doing at 10 minus the technology advances, although I used to sit with the radio on and make mix tapes which is the same thing. She doesn't do any outside clubs/ activities.

TabbyTigger Tue 20-Feb-18 11:13:36

Mine are slightly older but “Abba” as an interest made me laugh.

Does she have any siblings? At 10 my DDs and all their friends got really into practising gymnastics in the garden. Everyone desperately wanted to do the perfect cartwheel or walk the furthest on their hands...

Hairstyles could be made quite fun - you could get her one of those dolls where you can braid and style the hair yourself.

Mine are keen readers, but they also watched a lot of tv/films at that age. If she’s at after school club every night it sounds like she spends quite a lot of time out of the house anyway. What about a Saturday drama or music school? (Thinking about the Abba enthusiasm!)

Orlandsundry Tue 20-Feb-18 11:27:15

DD is an 'only' which I feel guilty about (of course!) so I often wonder if what she does is typical. Sounds like it is thankfully - thanks everyone!
Not much reading goes on though, but she does write lots of stories so I don't feel too bad about that.
Thanks everyone!

Bloddy abba!

MunchMunch Tue 20-Feb-18 13:09:04

My dd loves gymnastics and cheerleading (she's in squads), at Home, if she's not practicing gym and cheer she likes doing musicallys, watching YouTube, doing make up/nails, making up dances, meeting friends, going on the trampoline.

My dn is the same age and an only child who likes similar to dd apart from the sports.

MrsJonesAndMe Tue 20-Feb-18 13:13:49

DD shuts herself away in her room as much as I'd let her...either reading, watching Minecraft Videos on YouTube or still playing with Lego/Sylvanians.

Out of the house, she does swimming and drama. She goes to see friends or have friends over. Happy to go for a walk/hot choc at the weekends.

Between that and homework/school, that fills every spare moment! The current craze at their school are "squishies"

AveEldon Tue 20-Feb-18 13:25:03

Mine likes going on the trampoline, swimming, playing PS4/Nintendo games

My children were obsessed with watching youtube but I deleted the app and the safari browser from their ipads 4 months ago - lots of moaning initially but all fine now

phoenix1973 Tue 20-Feb-18 13:30:47

My dd is 11. Shes 12 in Sept.
Since last summer holidays, she mainly likes shutting herself in her room playing on roblox or singing on the voice app. She is happiest with her mates.
Her mates have mobile phones so have just started facetiming her on my ipad. At 830 on a school night. When i remove all tech from her room at 800. Goes down well, does that.
She slams, huffs, stomps, eye rolls with expertise.
I expected this in high school. I wasnt ready in primary school. I miss my girl.

Minestheoneinthegreen Tue 20-Feb-18 13:47:33

Mine's a year older but is also an ABBA obsessive. She watches Mamma Mia a lot.
Additionally we watch films, play games, she reads or Minecrafts. She likes me to take her out on her bike or go swimming. She is getting into cooking so enjoys that. Not the clearing up sadly.

eatpuddingdrinkwine Tue 20-Feb-18 14:00:48

Mine is currently obsessed with making endless amounts of slime thus the kitchen is covered in slime and all ingredients to make slime.

SadieHH Tue 20-Feb-18 14:03:30

Brownies, Irish dancing, watching her iPad, making Funimate videos, FaceTiming her friends, reading, drawing and crafts and writing stories. She’s not big on the great outdoors, she’s much happier doing her own thing at home. She can strop for England but she isn’t yet hiding away in her room all the time so we’re halfway there.

VanGoghsLeftEar Tue 20-Feb-18 14:12:32

My dd is similar age to *@phoenix1973*'s.

She likes:

Cats and many other animals besides
Rock music
Nintendo Switch
Her tablet games
Marvel Cinematic Universe
Harry Potter
Bob's Burgers (especially Louise)
Reading comics and graphic novels
Gothic novels and mysteries too.
Not being girly.
Adventure time (especially Marceline the Vampire)
Lemony Snicket and Stranger Things
Writing
Lego (still!)
Card and board games

A lot of this occurs in her bombsite of a room. I am trying to get her out of the house and see her mates but it's proving challenging. She has no interest in sport, save going to football games as a spectator with her Dad and Grandad. She'll go for a walk for exercise, or use her scooter.

Orlandsundry Wed 21-Feb-18 11:16:55

Are you also experiencing quite alarming mood swings as well? Asking for a friend obviously...

I look at DD sometimes and wonder whether she is getting taller in front of my eyes, so lanky! There is also a lot of doing nails, and talk of 'belly' tops. Makes me want to whisk her off to a Hebredian island for the next few years. I don't feel I'm ready for this <screams>.

I do love her madly of course, but it's all happened quicker than I had expected.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: