Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

What instances of childhood injustice are you still annoyed about decade(s) later?

(338 Posts)
CircleofWillis Tue 20-Feb-18 02:49:32

Inspired by another thread. When I was four or five my family and my uncle’s family went to a funfair together.
All the children were given balloons. It was my first ever helium balloon and I was completely besotted with it. My cousin who is 3 months younger than me caught her balloon on a tree branch on the way home and it burst. She was inconsolable. When we got home I remember walking up the stairs holding the string of my balloon only to have it snatched out of my hand by my aunt.
She gave it to my cousin saying to me - you can share with your cousin. She’s younger than you.
Five minutes later they walked through the door to go home talking my balloon with them.
Even today when I recount the story my parents refuse to believe me and claim my balloon must have popped too.
40 years later I still feel the pain of the helpless rage I experienced then as my red balloon bobbed away never to be seen again.
Anyone else?

GetOutOfMYGarden Tue 20-Feb-18 02:55:36

I got detention for telling a teacher that she was wrong. She was wrong. Dolphins do have lungs, Mrs Holden angry

Cavender Tue 20-Feb-18 03:34:01

I was asked to step aside for other children, step down from coveted responsibilities and give up things several times in our church as a child because my family were seen as nice people who wouldn’t make a fuss.

I was asked to do these things with the best intentions and I understand why these decisions were made but it still amounts to the nice kid being repeatedly disadvantaged because someone else (adults or children) weren’t behaving very well.

Looking back I feel like my parents should have protested on my behalf. I would absolutely never say so to them of course, they were trying to do the right thing.

My children are also very well behaved and wouldn’t make a fuss but I try very hard to make sure they aren’t ever put in the same position.

NinaMarieP Tue 20-Feb-18 03:52:22

I had to wait until I was 14 to get my own TV. Absolutely no younger was acceptable.

My little sister got her own TV less than a year later, aged 11, because it was free apart from needing a new CRT thingy.

Even now my parents can't understand why that made me mad. It wasn't 'we can't afford a TV for X years and by then you will be 14' it was definitely that I wasn't allowed one until 14.

Why they couldn't have kept the free one and given it to her a few years later I don't know. Still feel hard done by now, sixteen years later 😂

Sittingintheshade Tue 20-Feb-18 03:57:21

Had to wait till I was 12 to finally get my ears pierced. My mum took me and my sister to get them done on the same day - I was 12. She was 9. 😡 still rankles!

PeaPodPopper Tue 20-Feb-18 04:02:38

In Primary school I drew a picture of a horse with a very detailed background, which took me simply ages. One of the lads in the class - Peter - who was a very lazy arse, waited till I left my desk for something, and swapped my work with his.
Teacher was amazed at 'his' work and held it up to show the class. On recognising it I hit the roof - I was a somewhat outspoken child - and tried to claim it back. I was thus told off for A) sour grapes as 'if I had applied myself I could have maybe created something similar', and B) for being so rude (I wasn't - in my head - just so upset and mortified at not being believed).

Peter, I bet you're an even bigger lazy arse now.

I also now sign ALL my work!

Circle you have my absolute sympathy and understanding, it really rankles doesn't it.

Cavender Tue 20-Feb-18 04:06:31

Pea I’d have sat back down at my desk and drawn a replica and asked Peter if he could do the same.

TheButterflyOfTheStorms Tue 20-Feb-18 04:08:40

My mum and dad said that they would take us to America if we (DBro and I) saved spending money. My DBro sat on his arse all year, I worked in crappy minimum wage jobs for months. We were still at school so it was all my weekends. They then said it wouldn't be fair to take me and not him. Years later they paid for a flight for me to go on my own. I still haven't forgotten the feeling of all those months of shitty work for nothing.

Grrrrr.

PeaPodPopper Tue 20-Feb-18 04:33:35

Cavender - that would have been a sensible thing to do, but at 7 years old and smarting from the injustice of it all, I wasn't in the right frame of mind to do such a thing.

Kuriusoranj Tue 20-Feb-18 04:47:40

February of my 3rd year junior school. I wasn't allowed to be a milk monitor because I'd already been one that term. I hadn't though, and as I pointed out, I'd been a monitor that year ( I meant school year) but not that term. There was loud derisive laughter and the teacher said "There's only been one term this year, so there you are". She meant calendar year of course, but I couldn't make her understand and they all just laughed at me. 38 years on and I'm still fuming.

Cavender Tue 20-Feb-18 04:52:56

Hindsight is 20:20 Pea. smile

Similarly at 10 years old it never occurred to me that a short, public tantrum (or even a judiciously timed public tear or two) would have meant that it would have been much more difficult for adults to give my choir solo, my Santa present etc to someone else.

SweetheartNeckline Tue 20-Feb-18 05:46:33

I was sent out of class for smirking at a teacher. I remember how upset I was, shouting "I'm not smirking it's just my face!"

CapnHaddock Tue 20-Feb-18 05:52:53

A new boy joined our class and asked me if the spelling tests were hard. I replied "no, they're really easy" because I'm good at spelling. The teacher overheard me and said that no one likes a boastful show off.

angry

Tika77 Tue 20-Feb-18 06:19:24

The meal after I had my tonsils taken out as a 4 year old. There was some horrible soup I really hatrd and the nurses told me I had to eat it all if I wanted my dessert. (Which was a delicious smelling chocolate sauce covered something.)
With great disgust I ate all the soup. And it all came back up as it was.
They never let me eat my dessert because I was sick.
I was so dissappointed. I ate ALL the bloody soup, didn’t I?...

BuzzLightyearsHoneyBun Tue 20-Feb-18 06:20:56

The pony club camp dressage competition- I knew the test and had been preparing even before camp as I was very competitive.

At the end of the test (only camper not to have it read out) the instructor/judge turned to my mum and told her I had done the wrong test.

I was devestated, I had done the test I was given. I remember crying in the stable.

But then the next canper came in and did the same test as me, instructor/judge realised she was the one in the wrong and had her marking sheets changed and carried on.

Except they wouldn’t let me do my test again or change my marks, so I came last. Still stings, especially as my lovely old pony tried really hard for me and we had done a very nice test.

expatmatt78 Tue 20-Feb-18 06:26:45

My older sister always "jokes" that she fought for everything and I just got it! She's probably right tbh! She was also made to take me out with her friends all the time !
As payback however I was living in a flat with a great flat mate but as my parents owned the flat, when my sisters relationship broke up I had to kick flatmate out so sister could move in! I understood it completely but was a bit shit!
I try really really hard to catch myself saying to my older DC "oh just let him have it" just for peace and quiet as I remind myself how unfair that just seem! I do think older DC make a lot of concessions for younger siblings (and I'm saying that as the baby of the family!)

Drinaballerina Tue 20-Feb-18 06:35:11

Our headmaster wouldn't let our school choir audition for Joseph (with Jason Donovan), gutted we was!

x2boys Tue 20-Feb-18 06:42:58

On a trip to London with Guides ,we had been on and off the tubes all day visiting various famous places, and my Guider was talking to me on one tube about all the places we had been ,I was trying to tell her we were coming up to our station. And needed to get ready to get off ,but she wasent listening and everyone else got off apart from me and her and we missed our station .we had to get off at the next station and get another tube back , this was 1985 so long before mobile phones etc she blamed meangry

RefuseTheLies Tue 20-Feb-18 06:57:03

My mum told me that someone had seen me run across the road rather than wait for the green man. I think I was about 8 at the time.

I was outraged as I’d never run across a road in my life, and I couldn’t understand why an adult would lie to my mum to get me in to trouble.

WilburIsSomePig Tue 20-Feb-18 07:03:55

My Primary 3 teacher screaming at me and calling me stupid because I was struggling with my 6 times table. I just couldn't get it. She made me cry every day for a week about it and I still resent her for that. Only stopped when my, normally very quiet, mum went to the school and sorted her out. 44 years later I still hate that teacher.

OutComeTheWolves Tue 20-Feb-18 07:11:18

When I was in year 3, I sat next to one of my good friends who was Asian. God knows why but we gave each other the nicknames brownie and whitey. One day the teacher overheard us & I got absolutely bollocked while he didn't.

Obviously in hindsight I can totally see the issue & why the teacher was right to put a stop to it. But she didn't explain it to me at all at the time. I just remember getting shouted at in front of the whole class (& I never got into trouble)) and trying to explain that it was ok, it was just our nicknames & he had one for me too blush.

I also swear I once won the sack race and didn't get a prize.

Sarahh2014 Tue 20-Feb-18 07:23:59

We were in York for a family outing and I found 5 pounds on the ground (noone near but us) my mum and dad let me buy some sweets with it but I know I didn't get a fivers worth as that would have been loads back then and still mention that they must have pocketed the change😂 I'm 37

Rylanmakesmyheartsmile Tue 20-Feb-18 07:29:26

When I was in p7 I fell badly during PE and hurt my wrist. Teacher declared that "it was fine" and not to make a fuss over nothing. (I was most certainly not making a fuss and would not have been a child to do so - I hated any kind of attention at all). It wasn't reported to my parents but I obviously told my mum when I got home as I couldn't use it at all. She called the school the next day to ask for the teacher's version of what happened (she was a teacher herself who occasionally taught at my school so knew all the staff well) and the teacher continued to play it down and said it was fine. My mum listened to the teacher rather than me and I had to continue as normal for the rest of the week. (It happened on a Monday) Eventually on the Thursday at swimming club my coach insisted there really was something wrong with it and told my mum to take me to casualty. Next day I went to school in a cast because my wrist was broken. The teacher's response? "Well it didn't turn blue or anything so I couldn't have known." Mrs Wilson I am still pissed off about that nearly 30 years later - you were a bully who just patronised kids and this was just one example of it.

Also at primary school but younger (I think maybe around p3) we had to write our Christmas news in the first week back in Jan and I wrote about how a drunk driver had crashed a car outside my Granda's house on Christmas Day while we were eating Christmas dinner, and the car had started smoking and the fire brigade had to come to get it to stop. I was told not to write lies and the teacher made me re-do the work without any "tall tales". Except of course it was all true!

Fluffyears Tue 20-Feb-18 07:30:12

Our teacher left the classroom in primary 6 and people started to carry on. The deputy head can’t and screamed at us and we started working again. Behind me was the board we were using for the work we were doing so o turned round to read it and she screeched ‘I should have known you’d be turning round for a carry on before my back was turned’ and she physically dragged me from my seat and threw me into a chair outside the class. I was usually a goody two shoes so no ide why she said ‘I should have known....’ it annoys me today as I WAS JUST TURNING TO SEE THE BOARD!

SallyOMalley Tue 20-Feb-18 07:32:05

I was thirteen, incredibly shy and wouldn't say boo to a goose. In an English lesson, one of the other girls hid my exercise book and wouldn't give it back. I was desperately trying to retrieve it before the lesson started and was terrified that the rather bad tempered teacher would arrive while this was going on. Well, he did. I was shouted at and given detention (the only time ever!). I was so upset, and still remember how I felt trying to hold back the tears and feelings so incredibly mortified.

Reading this back, I sound so pathetic! It was a big thing to the 13 yo me. 35 years on, I can happily report I'm not backwards in coming forwards .... But this incident still makes me cross!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: