Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Question about paying for the tube please

(32 Posts)
DorothyL Mon 19-Feb-18 22:35:20

Going to London tomorrow. I know I can use my contactless card, but I'll have ds with me. Will I have to buy him aticket separately? He's 11.

peachypetite Mon 19-Feb-18 22:37:20

Of course you will. He's not going to travel for free?

SunnySeaShell Mon 19-Feb-18 22:39:53

Yikes peachy! A useful link though. OP you might be best to just ask when you're there what the most practical way of going about it is?

Bumping for you anyway

westridingpauperlunaticasylum Mon 19-Feb-18 22:42:03

So is it possible to pay with a contactless Bank card at the barrier? I lost my Oyster card a few weeks ago was a little tired and emotional after a splendid night out. I haven't used it for about 4 years it was in the same wallet as my rail card.

EmpressOfJurisfiction Mon 19-Feb-18 22:43:18

Yes to contactless bank card. You can only pay for yourself though, and make sure you use the same one to touch in & out.

TheBrilloPad Mon 19-Feb-18 22:44:44

Are you sure he’s 11? 10 year olds can travel for free with an adult without a kids oyster or anything.... whistles innocently

titchy Mon 19-Feb-18 22:46:43

Yeah you've got his age muddled - he's still 10 remember....

Once he is 11 though he'd need a zip oyster (I think you can get tourist ones) which gives him half price fare. Contextless always charges at the adult rate.

Orlandsundry Mon 19-Feb-18 22:47:14

Brillo grin

NancyDonahue Mon 19-Feb-18 22:48:00

He will pay half. You can pre pay on a kids visitor oyster. You buy them at the ticket machine.

theredjellybean Mon 19-Feb-18 22:49:40

I always thought it was under 12 travel free so used to tap and go through big gate taking child through with me. Never once got questioned by staff standing there

I got Oyster cards for mine last week - £5 for the card which we'll use again later in the year, then got a TFL member of staff to make it a young persons visitor card. We loaded it up with £10 each which lasted them for the 3 days we were there. I thought it was great value but will depend on whether or not you'll use the Oyster card again, I guess.

DorothyL Mon 19-Feb-18 22:50:52

He is very small for his age winkgrin
Thanks all!

Spectre8 Mon 19-Feb-18 23:45:21

Fare evaders are the reason why ticket prices increase and yes it might just be one child now but it all adds up if everyone starts doing it - pay what you owe.

hmmwhatatodo Tue 20-Feb-18 00:04:49

He’s 10 you say? I wouldn’t worry about it then. Just go through the wide barriers in the stations.

AlexanderHamilton Tue 20-Feb-18 00:07:29

We are also off to London tomorrow!

You will either need to buy a child day Travelcard or get an Oyster card when you arrive & ask for the young visitors discount to be put onto it.

EmpressOfJurisfiction Tue 20-Feb-18 06:20:22

Fare evaders are the reason why ticket prices increase

And you're going to be a bit stuck if a ticket inspector comes round & wants proof he's 10 - not to mention having to explain to him that you're cheating the system?

myusernamewastaken Tue 20-Feb-18 07:00:58

Ffs ignore the do gooders on here this country we pay through the nose for one is going to ask you for your sons passport to prove his age..

Fruitcocktail6 Tue 20-Feb-18 07:06:27

Never seen a ticket inspector on a tube and I've lived in London my whole life

AlexanderHamilton Tue 20-Feb-18 07:09:19

The ticket inspector at the gates blatantly told me to take Dd through for free when she was 12!

ClaudiaWankleman Tue 20-Feb-18 07:13:43

And you're going to be a bit stuck if a ticket inspector comes round & wants proof he's 10 I've never seen a ticket inspector in London. The police usually hang around the station entrance to put off barrier jumpers.

Fare evaders are the reason why ticket prices increase I think we all know the reason fares are sky high (although they haven't increased for a while...) and it's not an 11 year old boy.

SquirmOfEels Tue 20-Feb-18 07:14:07

London DC can get their Zip Oyster from a month's before their 11th birthday. Yes, once 11 then child fare applies on Tube.

Which you get by either buying a one day child travel card, or getting an Oyster and having it set for child fares (you might need a Tube ticket office to do that). You can't get a Zip card over the counter (it's a photo card)

Whether visitors bilk the fare is entirely a question for their own conscience and sense of integrity.

EmpressOfJurisfiction Tue 20-Feb-18 22:06:20

I've had my ticket checked in tubes a couple of times recently.

And yes, it's up to the op to decide what she & her DS are comfortable with.

Spectre8 Fri 23-Feb-18 18:11:51

The fare increases are because TfL are funded through fares - no goverment funding anymore so yes it is important people pay their fares. To be fair the fares aren't that extortionate given that you get a train practicall every 2 mins on all lines. Victoria Line runs every 1.5 min now and you can get across London very quickly and new trains are being introdcued across many of the lines.

You can call me a do-ooder I couldn't care less but I pay my way and wouldn't wnat to cheat any system no matter what I personally think. I am single person paying shed loads on council tax do i think its fair I pay the same as a family of 4 for the same services when I definately use less? No I don't but I still pay what I owe.

As a previous poster said its up to you to decide what type of person you want to be.

listsandbudgets Fri 23-Feb-18 18:58:28

Londoners are lucky. In most parts of the country, public transport is a lot worse and child fare kicks in at 5 years old. It all adds up - perhaps they should consider lowering the age to 5 like the rest of the country to help put a lid on fare rises for everyone else sad

Spectre8 Fri 23-Feb-18 19:13:51

Actually from new budget year all VED paid by Londoners will not be spent on London roads but instead on roads outside of London thats £500m of Londoner's money being spent outside the capital - so whilst our roads will not get virtually no maintenance the rest of the country will benefit - maybe us Londoners aren't so luky after all

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now