Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

What fascinates you

(80 Posts)
Awwlookatmybabyspider Mon 19-Feb-18 22:21:52

I've always been fascinated and obsessed with time.
The way we all have different time zones. So whos right.
Little Diamede and Big Diamede 2 Islands
30 minutes away from each other with a 24 hour time difference.
There will be children being born at this very moment all over the world. However although they're born stimutaniosly. Many will have different bithdays and birth times.due to different time zones.
Cleopatra was born closer in time to snap chat than she was to the construction of
The Pyramids.
1 billion seconds is 31.7 years.
a trillion seconds is 31, 000+.
1 million hours is 114 years. So very few people live for 1,000,000 hours.
However it doesn't even seem that long.

HildaZelda Mon 19-Feb-18 22:40:21

Serial killers. Since I was a child.

hmmwhatatodo Mon 19-Feb-18 22:58:13

Groups like the Amish and other more extreme religious groups who tend to be in America for some reason.

LookImAHooman Mon 19-Feb-18 23:27:21

Planes and brains.

Devonishome1 Mon 19-Feb-18 23:28:40

The world,creation and how we are formed so intricately. Completely fascinates me!

StorminaBcup Mon 19-Feb-18 23:33:09

Space. But I can’t think about it too much without freaking myself out. The fact that we are all clinging to a small planet spinning around in a solar system, in a galaxy of which there are thousands...makes my head hurt.

Have you read Harrison’s Watch, OP?

Brokenbiscuit Mon 19-Feb-18 23:36:10

Language. Where words come from, how languages evolve over time, how different languages are related. I'd love to have studied linguistics!

I also love learning new languages.

Awwlookatmybabyspider Tue 20-Feb-18 01:40:21

Wow. These are all amazing.
No Storm. I've not read Harrisons watch.
I will do though. Anything to do with time I'll be glued.
Also it's not unusual for people to have bonds with their time piece.
At the exact moment Derek Bentley was hanged the clock in his livingroom stopped
and never worked again.. Apparently this isn't so unusual.

brizzledrizzle Tue 20-Feb-18 01:47:50

The origins of language

Awwlookatmybabyspider Tue 20-Feb-18 01:49:22

Also another fascinating thing that happens every day Is life. I mean from sperm and a tiny egg there is a person with a brain, heart, blood, bones, hair, teeth ect ect and Those who have been blessed with a daughter or daughters Its even more fascinating, as she is born with all her eggs so in effect her children.
If you think about it with mothers daughters grandmothers great grandmothers ect and so forth. It's like a Russian doll.

jacobsgirl Tue 20-Feb-18 02:04:13

Accents

StorminaBcup Tue 20-Feb-18 05:01:12

It’s a great read babyspider, I think it’s still on display at the Greenwich museum. Have a read up on mitochondrial eve too.

AstridWhite Tue 20-Feb-18 05:17:38

The human race in general. Cultural habits and attitudes, social class, body language, nature v.nurture.

Mental illness and neurological conditions such as ASD and ADHD fascinate me. Psychology, what makes a criminal, what makes a psychopath, the effects of sibling order, parenting styles, etc. What gives one person high self esteem and another low. All that stuff is endlessly fascinating.

I'm also fascinated by the changing physical features and colouring of all the races and nationalities on earth. You can start at one point anywhere on the planet and work your way around it in any direction, plotting the gradual change to a different look or a different skin tone.

It's like a rainbow, each physical characteristic linked in some way to the next, working through a wide spectrum to end up back where it started. I love looking at someone of an obviously different racial heritage to me and trying to guess where they are from, genetically speaking. (I realise they might be born and bred in Croydon, before anyone points that out.)
It might be their features or their clothes or their body language, their habits or a combination of all those things.

I think I missed my calling as an anthropologist or sociologist.

Aebj Tue 20-Feb-18 05:32:52

Wow some great answers and mine now sounds silly 😂
I’ve been watching the Winter Olympics . The luge and skeleton have blown my mind. 100km/ph on a tin tray with nothing but Lycia and a helmet to protect you. Awesome work but why?

AstridWhite Tue 20-Feb-18 05:39:35

Space. But I can’t think about it too much without freaking myself out.

Me neither. It's terrifying. shock

Buildalegohouse Tue 20-Feb-18 06:23:19

Body language. The way that even tiny mannerisms and responses can give away when we are telling lies, are uncomfortable etc.

Genetics. I have 7 week old non identical twins and it blows my mind to look at their differences and similarities and think about the randomness of their creation.

Nature vs nurture and twins in general fascinate me now I have them.

GreenRut Tue 20-Feb-18 06:52:06

Time, like you op. If I'm ever abroad and ring my DM she is always flabbergasted by the fact it's not the same time where I am, and I act nonchalant, but inside I feel the same grin

Language and its evolution, too. Mother Tongue by Bill Bryson is a great read about this topic.

General social history, the mundane. How people lived, just like what did they eat for breakfast? What did they do all day?

Prehistoric man. I read a book called Homosapiens recently and it was the first time I was able to put first man into proper context. Highly recommended!

DollyLlama Tue 20-Feb-18 07:45:36

Serial killers, natural / man made disasters and generally what makes people tick.

brizzledrizzle Tue 20-Feb-18 08:12:49

@buildalegohouse genetics fascinate me too as I see my dc doing facial expressions and mannerisms of two different relatives who they have ever met .

TeachesOfPeaches Tue 20-Feb-18 08:14:31

The facts almost everyone has two eyes, a nose, a mouth, two eyebrows etc but every face is unique.

Peachyking000 Tue 20-Feb-18 08:17:29

The hive mind

If Marilyn Monroe was still alive she’d be the same age as the queen

Of all the people who have ever reached the age of 70, half of them are currently alive (I’m not 100% sure this is true but was recently quoted it at a medical lecture)

StayAChild Tue 20-Feb-18 08:40:46

OP I just looked at those islands. It is indeed fascinating. Especially the fact that ice can make a bridge between them so in effect you could walk from one to the other.

I'm fascinated by child development. Working in school early years for many years I was constantly amazed at the amount of information young children can take in and use, like little sponges. Also, their very individual personalities and the impact on the way a group gels.

During developmental observations of older children's reading styles, I was blown away by how after 5 years in school, their 4/5 year old early characteristics remained exactly the same at 9 or 10, albeit more mature. I was so surprised by how I could tune back into them (therefore predict what they might do/say in a reading task) within a few seconds.

Awwlookatmybabyspider Tue 20-Feb-18 09:07:29

OMG. Peaches my dd says the same thing.

You could sail to and from them, Stay.

StayAChild Tue 20-Feb-18 09:23:00

The islands are sometimes know as Tomorrow Island and Yesterday Isle. I'd honestly never heard of them. blush

www.amusingplanet.com/2014/02/diomede-islands-two-islands-split-by-us.html

Awwlookatmybabyspider Tue 20-Feb-18 09:27:08

I hadn't until this thing called something like borders you won't believe exist on my youtube recommendations. Mind you i suppose all places have got to stop and start somewhere, I guess.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: