Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

MET Parking Charge after eating at McDonald's!

(10 Posts)
SeaWitchly Mon 19-Feb-18 22:04:41

Does anyone have any advice on whether we should just pay up or possibly appeal further?

We parked at a McDonald's near the airport for a meal with family as they were flying home to their home country. Spent a reasonable sum of money in there between 6 people. We were chatting and stayed for icecream and coffee after main meals too.

Anyway a couple of weeks later we received a parking charge from MET Parking Services. Apparently we had over stayed at the McDonald's parking lot... letter said there was a 60 minute limit and that this was clearly stated on the signage in the parking lot. We had entered the parking lot at night and genuinely never even saw there were signs with this information confused

We sent an appeal to MET and they have dismissed it, again merely stating that the restrictions regarding parking are clearly defined on the signs in the parking lot and therefore we must pay up.

I wonder has anyone else here either successfully challenged a parking charge with this company or just ignored the payment demand with no further repurcussions... We will pay this charge if necessary but just wondering if there may be some way round it as it seems a bit steep for legimately parking at McDonald's as a paying customer! I have already spoken to someone in McDonald's head office and the manager of the store we ate at and both said it had nowt to do with them and we need to take it up with MET angry

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Mon 19-Feb-18 22:08:35

There’s a letter template on MoneySavingExpert anout this sort of thing. My dh used it when he parked in a car park with bad signage and didn’t realise and got fined. He went back and took photos as evidence of the lack of signage and they had to concede that he was right and cancelled the fine. Worth a go if you think you are in the right.

happinessischocolate Mon 19-Feb-18 22:09:10

There's a Facebook group called " fight your private parking invoice" which give advice on these tickets all the time

LapdanceShoeshine Mon 19-Feb-18 22:11:28

I'm surprised McDonalds were so dismissive when there were 6 of you & you spent a lot. Have you got the receipt (or a card statement?)

Suggest some strongly-worded complaints on facebook and/or twitter!

I don't know MET but it's always worth trying to challenge unreasonable charges. Have a look at this MET thread on pepipoo:

people on there are always really helpful with wording etc.

You'll need to appeal via POPLA

SeaWitchly Mon 19-Feb-18 22:16:34

Thank you Adorabelle and happiness

I have just asked to join the facebook group so will wait to see how that pans out.

Will also have a look on MoneySavingExpert, thanks.

TheHobbitMum Mon 19-Feb-18 22:20:58

If we get customers come into our Aldi store with a parking ticket (2hrs free, then chargeable) while they've shopped with us we can get them cancelled. Have you asked the Mcdonald store if they can do the same?

SeaWitchly Mon 19-Feb-18 22:21:26

Yes Lapdance, well it was a lot by McDonald's standards - about £40 all up.
We do have the credit card statement clearly stating purchases at McDonald's on the day in question. McDonald's manager suggested we present this to MET but I suspect he knew that it would get us nowhere angry

LapdanceShoeshine Mon 19-Feb-18 22:31:49

I would be very angry

This guy had the same as you with MET at McDs at Gatwick last year. Thread includes all the letters he sent.

SeaWitchly Mon 19-Feb-18 22:39:54

Thank you Lapdance, that pepipoo thread is amazing!
The effort that the guy has gone to in researching the legal bumf around parking charges and successful appeals!

SeaWitchly Mon 19-Feb-18 22:42:50

I think I will appeal via POPLA and copy relevant info from the pepidoo thread.

Thanks again smile

But really, bloody McDonald's have been extremely unhelpful and I am not going to eat at one of their restaurants again any time soon [no matter how much the kids pester for a Happy Meal angry]

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now