Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Is there such thing as a Aspartame allergy testing?

(31 Posts)
Sillysausage123 Mon 19-Feb-18 21:38:45

Hi does anyone know if there is a Aspartame allergy/intolerance test that can be done?
Think my son has a intolerance as he has headaches but trying to find out what causes them but finding it hard to narrow down as aspartame is nearly in everything and things you wouldn't have thought so have tried cutting out but then find he has had some form of it by mistake

splendide Mon 19-Feb-18 22:04:32

Aspartame is really not in everything. What’s he eating it in by mistake?

dementedpixie Mon 19-Feb-18 22:06:58

What does he have that contains it?

Sillysausage123 Mon 19-Feb-18 22:07:19

I mistakenly gave him Fanta not diet Fanta just the ordinary Fanta and it was in that. I thought it was only in diet drinks but it's in tango as well.
It's in prawn cocktail walkers and I would never have guessed that and also some cooking sauces

Sillysausage123 Mon 19-Feb-18 22:09:29

Yoghurt is another one

dementedpixie Mon 19-Feb-18 22:11:28

Walkers prawn cocktail has sucralose not aspartame

FairiesVsPixies Mon 19-Feb-18 22:13:54

I definitely get headaches when I have aspartame. If it's in any food it should be clearly labelled, so you can easily cut it out.

DomesticAnarchist Mon 19-Feb-18 22:16:33

I've never heard of it in cooking sauces. Please can you tell me which ones you've found it in - I work with people with PKU. We need to know.

UrgentScurryfunge Mon 19-Feb-18 22:26:36

I get headaches from aspartame too. Sucralose tastes like soap. The poorly labelled dietification of foods is incredibly annoying.

Morrisons have recently sneakily subsituted some of the sugar content of some own brand drinks. The High Juice is now yet another stealth diet drink contaminated by sweetner.

I've given up. It's now original Ribena only or pure fruit juice which stupidly are now making me drink more sugar than I was drinking well diluted high juice. If I want a low sugar drink, I know where my tap is. hmm I don't need a headache/ soap/ hours of lingering aftertaste. If I did want any of those effects, I'd choose to buy diet shit angry

ScandiGirl10 Mon 19-Feb-18 22:30:17

I get terrible headaches when drinking cheap/own brand squashes, seem to be ok with Robinson’s.

welshmist Mon 19-Feb-18 22:33:01

Vile stuff upsets the balance of my gut.

TheLastMermaid Mon 19-Feb-18 22:33:28

I won't go near the stuff and don't find it that difficult. Mostly, avoid sugar-free. Sorry I can't answer your question OP, but even without a test result, I'd do all I could to avoid it for me and the DCs. Good luck.

madeyemoodysmum Mon 19-Feb-18 22:35:37

This is really pissing me off. What about our right to choose.
My local theatre is only stocking sweetener drinks now and I'm so mad about it. I sent them a snotty message.
I'd rather have sugar occasionally than drink this crap.

Passthecake30 Mon 19-Feb-18 22:36:04

I get migraines with aspartine.

Some low cal sauces contain it (uncle bens sweet and sour?), some crisps, original sprite, own brand lemonade, diet drinks. I drink 7up (with orange juice or Rocks) if I need something like that.
It's not that hard to cut out.

gluteustothemaximus Mon 19-Feb-18 22:40:33

I get migraines with aspartame too. The kind that make you feel your head is going to explode.

Easy to avoid. Just don’t have fizzy drinks or squash. Most drinks have it now <sigh> even the non diet ones.

Watch out for yoghurts too. Otherwise I find it easy to avoid.

If he goes to any kids club, and they have a squash break - it’ll be the shit squash with sweeteners.

Passthecake30 Mon 19-Feb-18 22:45:00

Ice pops might also be worth checking. I know lemonade lollies from the ice cream vans contain it.

SistersOfPercy Mon 19-Feb-18 23:15:43

I get mostly severe stomach cramps but can get migraine as well. I read everything. Didn't stop me being caught out by new lucozade a while ago though, and now my irn bru has been taken away too ☹️

Haven't yet found a chewing gum I can eat, and lemonade is harder to find as well. My gp prescribed me some tablets a few years ago and they were killing my stomach....the coating had aspartame in it. Had to go back for an alternative.

Sillysausage123 Mon 19-Feb-18 23:18:15

For all those who say they have headaches with aspartame how long does the headaches last?

SistersOfPercy Mon 19-Feb-18 23:29:54

Silly, the worst for me was also fanta, they changed the recipe about eight years ago and I didn't realise. I drank 3/4 of a bottle, managed to drive home then slept until the following day so from about 6pm.

Mostly I catch it soon enough and don't ingest as much but still a good hour or two. Usually though it's the cramps rather than a headache.

Passthecake30 Tue 20-Feb-18 07:17:08

I haven't had a aspartine migraine for years as I've avoided it... but they used to last a good 5-6 hours and need migralieve to ease them.

Passthecake30 Tue 20-Feb-18 07:18:50

PS caprisun full sugar is my go-to box drink for the family as there's no aspartame. Thought I'd save you hunting for options smile

gluteustothemaximus Tue 20-Feb-18 17:10:05

I had an episode of migraine off kfc Fanta - didn’t know it had it in. Got it within half hour of drinking, was very sick for hours after.

Another episode was offered tango round a friends house and again onset within half hour then migraine lasted 5 hours or so. It was agony.

7up was my last treat drink - now they’ve stuck stevia in it. A ‘natural’ sweetener. But I don’t care. I just want sugar.

Waitrose is the only lemonade without sweeteners now.

DomesticAnarchist Wed 21-Feb-18 09:19:44

Did I miss the list of cooking sauces with aspartame in? I really do need to know them.

As for drinks, there's a ton of squashes/juices made with sugar still. Usually the high juice ones.

I've never come across yoghurts with aspartame in them (but then yoghurt is something people with PKU rarely look for).

Lots of fizzy drinks have now moved over to aspartame, thanks to the sugar tax. Notably lucozade and irn bru. But there's still own brand lemonade and cola out there made with sugar.

SistersOfPercy Wed 21-Feb-18 11:08:32

Lidl used to do a knock off irn bru that was identical and much much cheaper. Had a look in there last week and was thrilled to find they still sold it, less so to see they have also now added aspartame.

SomethingOnce Wed 21-Feb-18 11:14:46

7up was my last treat drink - now they’ve stuck stevia in it. A ‘natural’ sweetener. But I don’t care. I just want sugar.

Me too. Stevia has an unpleasant aftertaste (not as bad as other sweeteners but bad enough).

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: