Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

What age to get rid of soft toys?

(57 Posts)
TheGirlOnTheLanding Mon 19-Feb-18 14:53:28

I think I was about to go to secondary when my parents insisted I got rid of (or at least put away) my teddy bear. I remember being quite distressed about it at the time so thought I'd prefer to let DC make the decision, assuming that at some point they'd be embarrassed when friends came over and would put the cuddly toys away for fear of being thought babyish. But so far (13 and 11!) they haven't, and have been very upset when I suggest it I blame Toy Story. I don't mind if they keep one or two favourites but both have a large tub full and several others on their beds, which takes up space and is frankly a PITA when changing sheets, so I'd be delighted if they went to the attic or got passed on to younger children. So, what's the norm? And do you have any tips for gentle encouragement?

SneakyGremlins Mon 19-Feb-18 14:54:52

I still have mine blush

MirandaWest Mon 19-Feb-18 14:57:21

My two are 14 and 12. Both have a small amount of toys on their beds but the major amount went in the past year or so. There are a lot of them in the attic though grin

TheGirlOnTheLanding Mon 19-Feb-18 14:57:39

What, on display in your room @SneakyGremlins?

TheGirlOnTheLanding Mon 19-Feb-18 14:58:19

So who made the decision on retiring them to the attic @MirandaWest? You or DC?

thepatchworkcat Mon 19-Feb-18 14:59:18

Never! Unless they want to. I had mine all through my teens and now some are up in my DS’ room/in the attic. We reduced down the collection but kept special ones. Don’t force them, they’d be so sad!

SneakyGremlins Mon 19-Feb-18 14:59:38

They sleep in my bed with me grin

admittedly I only have two

Catinthebath Mon 19-Feb-18 14:59:39

My 15 yo still has his favourite soft toy stashed in his bed smile

elQuintoConyo Mon 19-Feb-18 14:59:59

I still have about 6 of mine. Military father meant loads of them were chucked in our million moves. It makes me so so sad.

DS is 6yo and can keep them as long as he likes as they are his possessions.

A friend's mum burnt them in a bonfire in the garden when she was 11. I feel there is a middle ground!

AvoidingDM Mon 19-Feb-18 15:00:01

Are your children girls or boys? I was hoping the answer is about age 10.

I'm dying for my DC7 to out grow them there is about 30 that MUST be on / in the bed. Box isn't good enough for them apparently. Don't pass them onto younger children without asking parents first because it drives me nuts that others seem to do the "I'm too big for this you can have it" and that's another one that I need to deal with.

SleepingInNewYork Mon 19-Feb-18 15:01:50

Surely that is up to the child to decide if/when they want to get rid of them and not the parents?!

Lemonicelolly1 Mon 19-Feb-18 15:02:31

SneakyGremlins I still have my bear too & it still sleeps in my bed!

Petalbird Mon 19-Feb-18 15:03:00

There is over 100 displayed/on settees/ in our bed (my dp puts up with them as the step kids love them too). Never too old for soft toys smile

MirandaWest Mon 19-Feb-18 15:04:20

I’m not quite sure how it happened. Will ask DD when she’s back from school as she’s more likely to remember than I am blushgrin.

Special animals are definitely still there though smile

ArcheryAnnie Mon 19-Feb-18 15:07:18

Mine can keep his until he's an adult and leaves home, if he wants to. I still remember a friend at my own primary school, back in the Jurassic era, begging me to buy her favourites which her awful mum had donated to the school fair. (That's what I used my school fair spending money on, and kept them for her at mine!) She was so upset, and I remember it so vividly, and it must have been forty years ago.

TheGirlOnTheLanding Mon 19-Feb-18 15:08:34

Both girls @AvoidingDM

@SleepingInNewYork did you read my OP? I said I'd left it as their decision!

@MirandaWest thanks - I'd be interested to know!

Aragog Mon 19-Feb-18 15:10:02

Dd is 15 and still has some in her bed, some on a shelf and some on her hair. Others are at the top of her wardrobe out of the way.

Aragog Mon 19-Feb-18 15:10:14

Hair = chair!

ViceAdmiralAmilynHoldo Mon 19-Feb-18 15:16:50

My 15 year old DS still has a bed full! I bought shelves for above his bed but they don't stay there. Long may it last I say - soft toys don't get pregnant if you cuddle them without planning wink.
We've had a few weed-outs over the years. I did this by putting less popular ones in toy boxes to see if they were ever looked for. They weren't, of course, so I was able to rediscover the extra animals some time later and move them on to pastures new.

Wh0KnowsWhereTheT1meG0es Mon 19-Feb-18 15:19:01

14yo still has one in bed, a few on shelves and more in underbed storage. 12yo is in a bottom bunk and has at least 50 in a hammock hanging under the top bunk and at least 20 more loose in the bed, she buys new ones frequently. I just pull the sheets from under them and push them back under to help her change the bed, it doesn't take long. If I do want to get them all off the bed (there are usually dolls, books, notebooks, torches etc in there too) I shove them all into a couple of blue Ikea bags. I still have some of mine in my room too.

DPotter Mon 19-Feb-18 15:20:27

I'm 57 and still have a bear and several other of my soft toys - kept either by my DD or in a cupboard.
Why would you want to throw or give them away? sorry not sure I even understand the question. I think it was cruel of your parents to make you get rid of your soft toys, really cruel and bullying.

TenGinBottles Mon 19-Feb-18 15:21:04

I have most of mine. I sorted them when DD was born. The ones I couldn't imagine her playing with were given away, my favourites are safe in my wardrobe and the rest I gave to DD.

Luckingfovely Mon 19-Feb-18 15:23:32

@SleepingInNewYork did you read my OP? I said I'd left it as their decision!

But then why are you asking here? As a pp said - they are the children's possessions. It is not up to you. Leave them alone and stop harassing them and making them upset about it.

SleepingInNewYork Mon 19-Feb-18 15:28:20

@TheGirlOnTheLanding

Yes, I did read your OP and that is why I commented. Why are you asking how to encourage getting rid of them if you aren’t trying to make the decision for them?

LilithTheKitty Mon 19-Feb-18 15:28:32

I'd say when they choose to themselves. If it's just changing bedding that is bugging you then you could have them do that themselves? Or at least move the toys out of the way and put them back after you've done the changing.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: