Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Feeling topsy turvy about learning to drive

(6 Posts)
LittleBearinaBigWorld Mon 19-Feb-18 14:36:49

Hello! I hope that this is in the right place.

I absolutely must learn to drive. I live with my partner pretty much in the city centre, he gets the bus to work and I just left a job working in the city centre, so commuting has never been a major issue. When I start my new job I'll get the train or the bus.

Aside from that, though, not being able to drive is so limiting. I wish we could just drive somewhere and go for a really lovely walk, but at the moment anywhere we go needs to be accessible by train ir bus, which can be really quite limiting.

I just don't understand how I'm meant to afford a car and insurance and lessons and fuel and EVERYTHING, and I really hoped someone could give me some suggestions for things to look for or types of car to look for, I haven't the foggiest when it comes to that kind of thing.

I've no idea whether you're meant to get a car or insurance first?

My family aren't in a position to help me financially and I couldn't ask them to.

MayFayner Mon 19-Feb-18 14:48:18

First of all, book some lessons and use the instructor's car, and pass your driving test.

You can save up and buy a small second hand car, or you can get a loan from the bank to buy one. If you want to get a new car then the garages that sell them provide finance deals which are a hire-purchase type of arrangement.

Cars with a smaller engine, e.g. 1 litre engines, are cheaper to buy and more economical to run. They are also cheaper to insure. They tend to be smaller cars (think VW Polo or Toyota Yaris).

You need to have all the details for your car before you get insurance. Usually you will get a car insurance quote for the make and model of car you're getting, and then on the day you take possession of the car your insurance policy will start. You can pay your insurance annually in a lump sum or monthly. If you're doing it monthly it will usually be more expensive overall.

Good luck! smile

Thatsnotmybody Mon 19-Feb-18 14:49:10

Does your partner drive, would he give you lessons? If not, no point getting a car until youve passed your test. So first thing, get your provisional licence and a driving instructor, and sorry about the rest later on when you've got an idea of how long you'll likely need to learn. Good luck!

Thatsnotmybody Mon 19-Feb-18 14:50:11

Also if your city has a good car share scheme you might be better off renting one for days out rather than buying.

LittleBearinaBigWorld Mon 19-Feb-18 15:03:24

Thank you all, that's very useful. My partner doesn't drive either.

I think the thing that confuses me the most is buying a car and getting insurance, but maybe I'll just have to cross that bridge when I come to it...

Thatsnotmybody Mon 19-Feb-18 18:43:37

Definitely, focus on getting your licence first! For what it's worth when you do come round buy a car usually what happens is you choose the car, pay a deposit, sort out insurance that evening and then pick it up the next day. You can get an idea of what insurance groups different types of cars are first though (Eg on parkers website) so you have an idea how much it might be.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: