Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

How much do you pay for water rates?

(45 Posts)
EffingJeffer Mon 19-Feb-18 10:24:33

We're a small family of 3. Several months ago we moved to a small 2 bed flat from a 3 bed townhouse to save money for a mortgage deposit. Just got our first water bill for the flat and it's nearly £400!

I wash dishes once a day, put one laundry wash on a day, we each have one bath or shower a day. DH and DS are out at work / school during the day.

It's a far higher bill than the ones we ever received when we lived in the townhouse. I contacted the water company and they say our water usage is consistent so there can't be any leaks.

How much on average do you pay for water?

Afreshcuppateaplease Mon 19-Feb-18 10:25:52

Is that for the year?

We currently pay 6.50 a week but going up to about 7.50 in april

HRTpatch Mon 19-Feb-18 10:29:21

We are on a water meter. 3 people, daily showers, Dishwasher, washing machine on about 10 times a week.
We pay about £20 a month

carriewintermeadow Mon 19-Feb-18 10:32:20

I'm on water rates, 2 bed terrace, me and dd and pay £8 a fortnight. I would ring and ask for a breakdown of the bill.

BarbaraofSevillle Mon 19-Feb-18 10:33:17

Is it metered or still on the rates system? Where in the country are you?

We pay about £33 a month (so not much less than £400 pa) on unmetered rates, for a 2 bed semi, but we're on an assessed charge because our house is unsuitable for a meter (pipes shared with multiple properties and nowhere inside for a meter to go). It would apparently be less on a meter. We're in Yorkshire.

But it sounds like you're on a meter - our water company website has a calculator where you can estimate your metered cost from how many baths etc you have - perhaps yours has the same so you can see if the cost is about right.

The website will probably have water saving tips, such as adding special devices in the toilet cysten. Baths probably use a lot of water, as can showers if they are power showers. Washing up by hand probably uses more water than a dishwasher.

gobbin Mon 19-Feb-18 10:37:02

Think yourself lucky. We pay £74.60.
A month.
Welsh Water grabbing bastards.
Various reasons why we don’t want a water meter.

MadisonAvenue Mon 19-Feb-18 10:37:09

We're on a meter, three people mostly but four during university holidays. Washing machine used perhaps four times weekly, dishwasher once per day and daily showers. Our bills (we're billed twice per year) for the last 12 months totalled £415 which I always think seems a lot as we don't use excessive amounts of water and are very conscious, since buying a house with a meter, of how much we use.

Afreshcuppateaplease Mon 19-Feb-18 10:38:37

We arent on a metre

5 bed house. Family of 6

I think we would pay alot more on a metre

Afreshcuppateaplease Mon 19-Feb-18 10:38:48

User5trillion Mon 19-Feb-18 10:38:54

We are now in a water meter and its just been adjusted to £66 a month. Previously it was £109 based on rateable value but no I dont live in a mansion but I do live in the area with the most expensive charges.

PurplePotatoes Mon 19-Feb-18 10:41:33

That does sound a lot - we're a family of 4 in a 3 bed detached. Baths / showers every day plus 1 - 2 machine washes per day.
We pay £28 per month on a meter so £336 a year. That was quite a big increase from the year before as well, due to me being on maternity leave and washing a lot I think .

I would definitely get it checked again. My mum lives in a flat and she's had such trouble with bills - wrong flat, billing her for the whole block etc etc could it be a mistake like that?

reetgood Mon 19-Feb-18 10:42:29

We’re on a meter, because for some reason our small 3 bed semi was assessed as having a rateable value of £50/month? With 2 adult occupants it made no sense, so we went to a meter and now pay £30 a month. We run the washing machine a lot.

TheBitterBoy Mon 19-Feb-18 10:46:09

Regardless of whether you are on a meter or not, the basic rate (rateable value or cost per cubic meter) varies depending upon where you are in the country. Bills in the south west for example are much higher because the water authorities there are responsible for miles of coastline with a smaller relative population.

If you are on a meter you can do your own checks - make sure you have all water off, and then check the meter to see if it is moving. Worth checking your loo, as a tiny constant leak into the bowl can add up to a huge amount of water usage.

x2boys Mon 19-Feb-18 11:18:28

£40/month not on a meter united utilities .

Yoksha Mon 19-Feb-18 11:34:13

NW. Lancashire. Just short of £700 p/a. 2 of us in house. Dreading the council tax now.

treaclesoda Mon 19-Feb-18 11:35:29

Nothing as it's included in our rates bill.

I think it should probably be billed separately though.

mustbemad17 Mon 19-Feb-18 11:36:19

Two bed flat here, only me & DD currently - can't be metered because we have two stopcocks. I was assessed & now pay £50 a month; one bath daily, washing up, washing machine on once. Drives me nuts because my friend lives in a three bed with 5 of them & pays £34 a month on a meter!!

Notthenameiwant Mon 19-Feb-18 11:40:01

In the south west on a meter so roughly £45 a month.

Beetlejizz Mon 19-Feb-18 11:40:19

About to go up from £49 a month to £51, the buggers. We've only an average sized house and 4 people, but whenever I've done one of those meter vs non-meter calculators it's always come out as about £50 a month estimated either way. Which surprises me as I don't think we wash up, bathe, wash clothes or flush the bog to an unusual extent, but apparently that's what it'd be. Someone is usually at home in our house though, so I suppose that makes us use a bit more.

NailedOn50 Mon 19-Feb-18 11:44:34

Two bed end terrace, £42 a month which is a disgrace. Because of this I am not miserly with my water usage!!

Onesmallstepforaman Mon 19-Feb-18 11:47:22

£48 a quarter. Metered, small bungalow, one occupant

Kikashi Mon 19-Feb-18 12:08:14

We pay Southern Water on a meter. We pay £109 ddr per month for a 3 bed with a loft conversion( 4th bed) Victorian terrace. There are 6 of us but apparently our water usage is a 1/3rd less than similar houses/family size in the area.We had someone to do an audit to see how we could economise but they couldn't really suggest much as we have low flush toilets, water bubblers, efficient dishwasher, don't water the garden etc. We really try to be mindful due to the cost.

My neighbour luckily still has a water rate bill of £800 a year. So much cheaper and she is so wasteful of water (especially in her garden).

The couple we bought the house from had the water meter installed but lied on the solicitors forms that there was a rated bill. Our water costs more per year than the gas and electricity bills combined. Not much we can do - interesting that water seems to be so much cheaper in other parts of the country.

BuggerOffAndGoodDayToYou Mon 19-Feb-18 12:35:40

Instead of the cost you need to be comparing your actual usage. With prices varying so much around the country comparing actual bills is meaningless.

EffingJeffer Wed 21-Feb-18 10:16:54

Thanks guys

I'm in the South East. Billed every 6 months for water. We used to get two bills from two different companies, one for water usage and another for water drainage. But recently the two different companies decided to bill customers under one bill (incidentally, this new billing system is called 'One Bill'). Im convinced something has gone wrong with this One Bill system.

Last month, out of the blue, they also sent us a red final demand letter for a property we haven't lived at for over 5 yrs. There had been no other prior letters to this final demand, we've always changed our address with the water companies when we've moved so they've always known where we are, and the final demand said they'd had an audit and realised they'd undercharged us when we lived at this previous address (so their fault) but then made threats in the letter saying a debt recovery company would be called if we didn't pay immediately. So we paid it, but I was super pissed off at the tone of this letter considering it was a mistake they made 5 yrs ago.

I'll ask them for a breakdown of my usage.

AnarchyKitty Wed 21-Feb-18 10:23:42

Nothing. I'm in Scotland so it's included in our Council Tax. I'm also on a farm so I don't pay sewage as we have a private septic tank that gets emptied every three years for free . My water bills in England were horrendous. I'm so grateful I don't have them anymore.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now