Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Shipping Alcohol abroad

(9 Posts)
Byebyebicycle Mon 19-Feb-18 09:55:34

Hello was wondering if any knowledgeable mumsnetter could help me. I want to ship a 70cl bottle of whiskey to Korea to thank a friend, but can’t make heads or tails of the information I’ve got via google about shipping alcohols! So much conflicting information. Has anyone done this? How? Thankyou

Kpo58 Mon 19-Feb-18 10:11:40

From the Royal Mail website:

Alcoholic beverages and liquids containing more than 24% but not more than 70% alcohol by volume (ABV) (e.g. gin, rum, vodka, whisky)

International - Not allowed in the mail

wowfudge Mon 19-Feb-18 10:18:05

Can you find a Korean business you can order online from to deliver locally instead?

Byebyebicycle Mon 19-Feb-18 10:23:51

Thanks for the replies,
@Kpo58 so do you know if this is the guidelines for all postal services or are there private couriers who can do it

@wowfudge unfortunately the whiskey I want to send her is a local small batch from my English hometown that she tried when she was over here and loved.

wowfudge Mon 19-Feb-18 10:26:59

In that case, I suggest contacting a courier firm such as DHL, UPS, FedEx, etc and getting their advice. You are likely to have to complete export documentation and pay import duty. It could become a very expensive thank you.

Nonotmenori Mon 19-Feb-18 10:31:40

Don't do it. It's a nightmare. Last year I sent a normal sized Thai whisky to Ireland. No one would let me send it as it's alcohol. In the end I ended up having to fib to DHL saying it's a bottle of wine and paying nearly £90 to send a £20 bottle to Ireland from London. Never ever again.

Nonotmenori Mon 19-Feb-18 10:34:58

Sorry meant to say none will take it unless you fib and say it's bottle of wine. But be prepared to pay over £100 just send it. I'll never do that one again.

BarbaraofSevillle Mon 19-Feb-18 10:40:33

Assuming I have picked the correct Korea, Master of Malt will deliver for about £20 or so if they sell the whiskey in question (or try other similar online businesses).

I would be wary that there could be import restrictions or taxes too, although I have no idea whether there is or not, but you wouldn't want her to pay to receive her present.

BlueChampagne Mon 19-Feb-18 12:08:18

If sending by courier (which will be extortionate), you will also have to comply with packaging instructions. I haven't shipped booze abroad for a while but last time it had to be packaged to withstand a 6' drop. Barbara's suggestion sounds like the way ahead.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: