Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Stealth nose job

(154 Posts)
NellMangel Sun 18-Feb-18 23:48:07

My nose is big and witch-like. Ever since I was a teenager I've been self conscious about it, never wear hair up as it feels too exposed, brace myself for comments when going past groups of drunk blokes etc

I'm 41. I regularly look online at nose job pictures and think it's time to bite the bullet. My son is 3 so I am thinking I could do it before I have to explain it all. Also it would be nice to spend my forties feeling attractive for the first time in my life.

My family will totally disapprove. My mum always goes on about how stupid it is to risk your life over vanity etc. She's attractive and I don't think understands how it affects me.

I wonder if I should just get booked in without telling people. Actually I would have to tell one person as I guess I'd need childcare support (I'm a single mum)

Should I do it on the quiet?
Will I be causing issues for my son - eg if he inherits my nose?

MyBrilliantDisguise Sun 18-Feb-18 23:50:00

I would get it done and save up in case my son had the same!

I'd probably say I was in hospital for something else, or ask a friend to mind my child. Your mum sounds as though she hasn't got a clue.

EnidButton Sun 18-Feb-18 23:54:28

If you have the money and your health is fine then go for it. It is your body.

Regarding your son, you can cross that bridge if you ever come to it. The same nose will look different on a different face and body. He may suit it and more importantly, he may like it. This is about you and how you feel about your body.

NellMangel Sun 18-Feb-18 23:58:18

She's lovely but bit odd when it comes to my appearance. She's never told me I look good, I went out for first time in ages the other week, got dressed up, she looked me up and down and was obvs struggling to find something nice to say so opted for "is that navy or black". You know when you just need a confidence boost and would accept a white lie?! Same thing if I've just got back from the hairdresser, stares at hair, usually doesn't acknowledge, sometimes says "are you happy with it?" Gah.

MrsElvis Sun 18-Feb-18 23:58:56

Do it. Or you could try filler / Botox combo if you want to see how you'd look with a nose job

Rtmhwales Sun 18-Feb-18 23:59:53

I did it! Didn’t tell a soul, didn’t see anyone until it was all healed up, and then I dyed my hair before seeing people - they automatically noticed the new hair color and assumed that’s what looked different about me. That was in 2010! grin

Rtmhwales Mon 19-Feb-18 00:00:54

By the way, it was the best thing I’ve done for my self confidence. I wish I’d done it sooner.

MsMims Mon 19-Feb-18 00:02:12

Genius wales grin

Another vote to go for it if it will make you happy OP.

NellMangel Mon 19-Feb-18 00:06:42

I'd need a boatload of filler if the idea is for my face to catch up with my nose, but thanks for the idea MrsElvis! smile

NellMangel Mon 19-Feb-18 00:10:42

Great Wales, I've read similar on the many forums I've trawled. I can't imagine people not realising cos it's like concord from the side. I think "fuck me that's big" every time some bastard photos me from the side.

MrsElvis Mon 19-Feb-18 00:12:41

Oh no I mean filler to hide any bumps in. Ode and Botox to lift tip if that's the problem? Liquid nosejob it's sometimes called. A close relative has it, I go with her sometimes it's fascinating

iceycage Mon 19-Feb-18 00:15:08

Out of interest how much does it cost ?
I'm not overly conscious of mine and it's not something giving id prioritise right now financially but I'd definitely be interested in the future !!

I definitely say go for it I'm sure it'll do miracles for your confidence. Also your Mum sounds just like mine. Compliments are few and far between! As a teenager when I was going through my "heavier " years I often would get " ... are you sure you want to wear that dress? It's a little tight. " etc etc. Tact is not a strong point grin

NellMangel Mon 19-Feb-18 00:15:51

Haha I see, thanks Mrs. No I think only a reduction would suffice.

MrsElvis Mon 19-Feb-18 00:16:10

Just grabbed these examples

FlopsyMcDoodle Mon 19-Feb-18 00:16:46

I’m considering the exact same thing at the moment! I bloody hate my nose, always have, I can afford it and there’s no reason really not to go for it. I think my dm would make a fuss just because she’d see it as a waste of money. If I just present it as a fait accompli I think she’d be fine about it though.

NellMangel Mon 19-Feb-18 00:17:24

icey I've not had consultation but the price on the Nuffield website is about £5.5k.

MrsElvis Mon 19-Feb-18 00:17:31

To be honest I've pointed out to my relative for every 10 times she gets nose filler, she could have saved for a Nose job. But it's a quick way to see how you'd look. Absolutely get the surgery on the quiet

NailedOn50 Mon 19-Feb-18 00:19:10

Life is short - bloody go for it. I absolutely would if i had the money (same issue!)

unicorncow Mon 19-Feb-18 00:19:25

Is it bad enough to go to dr for a referral to have the surgery on the nhs? Someone I know had it done and she was over the moon with the results!

Thisimmortalcurl Mon 19-Feb-18 00:20:47

I would go for it. I got my teeth straightened a few years ago and it’s one of the best things I have ever done. They didn’t need to be perfect I just didn’t want to think about them and be always smiling with my mouth shut.
I have always fancied getting my boobs done but am not brave enough.

tectonicplates Mon 19-Feb-18 00:21:28

If you have it done it'll be with a general anaesthetic, so you'll need to have someone there with you for 24 hours after you go home. So even if you don't tell your family beforehand, you'll still have to enlist a trusted friend to look after you. It's a serious operation. A friend had it done and she had to sleep upright for a few nights, had to side-hug people and had to generally be extremely careful for a week. What will you do about child care?

NellMangel Mon 19-Feb-18 00:22:34

I go through spells when I think "pull yourself together" and about all the big problems in the world that make mine ridiculous and the good things that money could do...

But it mostly affects my confidence, and all of the world's problems still exist regardless of my nose size. If I thought like that about anything else I'd give up my car and exist on basic rations. I'm rambling. I just want a nose job, must stop overthinking.

Crashbangwhatausername Mon 19-Feb-18 00:26:31

Just do it, I want to believe we should be happy with what god gave us but life is too short to feel self conscious and if it affects you I say go for it

CoolCarrie Mon 19-Feb-18 00:27:33

Go for it! I certainly would do the same if I had the money. I hate my nose, always have.

NellMangel Mon 19-Feb-18 00:27:33

I could possibly ask brother or my best friend to stay with DS. My brother has same nose and understands how it knocks confidence. I think it fits ok on a man's face but he could take it as an insult.

My friend will think I should just be happy as I am but I think if I insisted on doing it she would stay over.

Just talking about my overnight in hospital really. I could keep ds at home while recovering so wouldn't need help with nursery run etc.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: