Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Kate Middleton wearing green to BAFTAS?

(153 Posts)
strawberrysparkle Sun 18-Feb-18 22:02:55

What do people recon to her wearing green and not going with the black dress code?

CoolCarrie Sun 18-Feb-18 22:04:20

She can wear what she wants. Why should she jump on the bandwagon?

ineedamoreadultieradult Sun 18-Feb-18 22:04:25

It's not a dress code it is a protest statement and the royals aren't supposed to support things like that. I think she went as close to black as she could get away with.

WilburIsSomePig Sun 18-Feb-18 22:04:39

I reckon she's wearing what she wants. Wearing black does not address the problem.

Frazzled2207 Sun 18-Feb-18 22:04:56

I don't think she's allowed to show support or otherwise for any kind of protest, but has done the right thing showing up in a muted colour rather than bright red or something equally bright

Mrsfloss Sun 18-Feb-18 22:05:18

It’s against royal protocol to wear black so she couldn’t really win

strawberrysparkle Sun 18-Feb-18 22:05:25

I agree anyone can wear what they want, I just wondered what others opinion on it would be as could see some people taking offence by it.

WipsGlitter Sun 18-Feb-18 22:05:34

I think it's perfectly ok. But then again I think the wear black thing is a bit trite (as is bringing an activist with you).

She looks lovely.

Fosterdog123 Sun 18-Feb-18 22:06:02

Well it can't be because she wasn't aware, which means it's deliberate.
Either 'the firm' have told her she can't, in which case, stick up for yourself woman or she didn't want to, in which case, she's gone down in my estimation, which will no doubt put a dampener on her week when she hears.

Jiaoqa Sun 18-Feb-18 22:06:15

It wasn’t a formal dress code and royals are suppose to be neutral and not support protest type things.

twinone Sun 18-Feb-18 22:06:23

Black dresses are not the done thing for royals unless in mourning.
Plus it is against protocol to support a protest, they should remain neutral.

ineedamoreadultieradult Sun 18-Feb-18 22:06:48

You can't take offence to someone choosing not to join in a mass virtue signalling. Well you can but it would be pretty stupid.

IWannaSeeHowItEnds Sun 18-Feb-18 22:06:56

Wearing black would be seen as making a political statement, which the royals don't do. She is nothing if not conformist.

Crispbutty Sun 18-Feb-18 22:07:38

I thought she looked absolutely stunning in the photos from this evening.

MrsJayy Sun 18-Feb-18 22:07:55

Royals are not meant to protest are they? and it isn't a dress code it is a symbolic protest.

strawberrysparkle Sun 18-Feb-18 22:07:58

Ah I didn't realise the royals don't wear black - makes sense!

KnockMeDown Sun 18-Feb-18 22:08:34

I think she looks stunning!

Sarsparella Sun 18-Feb-18 22:08:48

Within the first lines of the story you’ve posted it explains exactly why, it’s royal protocol not to make a political statement, so there’s not really any discussion to have - nobody will ‘take offence’ because they’ll know why, and so do we so I don’t think anyone’s going to kick off about it

OutyMcOutface Sun 18-Feb-18 22:08:54

Because she, like all self respecting women, would say anything she has to say with her words rather than a frock. The whole black dress thing just plays into the stupidbimbo stereotype brilliantly-I would imagine she doesn't fancy joining in.

RoseWhiteTips Sun 18-Feb-18 22:09:09

Why should she do what they do?

Ollivander84 Sun 18-Feb-18 22:09:11

Crisp - me too, gorgeous dress and really suits her

CapnCabinet Sun 18-Feb-18 22:09:49

She's quite entitled to wear what she wants - and not be judged for it.

I imagine she was in a fairly difficult position with regards to protocol and has chosen well: a dress which is a very muted dark green.

Anybody criticising needs to think very carefully about why they feel outraged at somebody not virtue signalling.

strawberrysparkle Sun 18-Feb-18 22:10:19

I haven't taken offence by it, I just wondered if it was something that people would frown upon however the power of Mumsnet has educated me on the reasons why it's been done!

Ivebeenaroundtheblock Sun 18-Feb-18 22:11:30

of course she was aware, of course she can't show political preference.
she looks lovely btw the small black band is very classy, love the bump.
but op why are you surprised? the fact that she really couldn't wear black and the political statement behind the request has been in the media for over a month??

WollstonecraftSpawn Sun 18-Feb-18 22:12:23

What? Why post stuff when you don't know what you are talking about?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now