Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Dp seriously sunburnt. What to do?

(554 Posts)
Salycinnamon11 Sun 18-Feb-18 21:56:56

Dp is seriously burnt from a sunbed (I know, I told him not to go on) hmm

His whole body is bright red with tiny white spots inside, he's got a very high temperature and cannot sit still. He is in agony, we've been together 10 years and this is the first time I've seen him cry from pain.

I've been to 2 pharmacies local to me who both said there is nothing they can do and to go to the hospital if it's that bad. I can't get to any other pharmacy because I don't drive and he is in no fit state to drive.

What can I do? I feel so useless and he can't even speak through the pain. I know he can't turn up at the hospital with sunburn and he keeps saying not to phone NHS111 because they'll think he's being dramatic (he's really not I can see the pain in his eyes)

Salycinnamon11 Sun 18-Feb-18 21:57:37

Should have said he's taken ibuprofen and paracetamol and they haven't touched it

ChaChaChaCh4nges Sun 18-Feb-18 21:58:22

Of course he can turn up to A&E with sunburn. He needs medical treatment.

FannyWisdom Sun 18-Feb-18 21:58:34

If he has sunstroke he will be suffering
How did he manage to stay on too long?
Cool him down, damp towels.

BIWI Sun 18-Feb-18 21:58:42

Why can't he go to A&E? This sounds like a serious burn, so he should absolutely go there.

But what was the salon he went to, doing?!

Backenette Sun 18-Feb-18 21:58:53

Hospital. There’s nothing the pharmacist can do. He may have serious burns which can get infected and if his core temp is deregulated he needs attention.

mnistooaddictive Sun 18-Feb-18 21:58:54

If it is that bad he does need to go to A and E. Phone 111, it could be serious

TitsNnails Sun 18-Feb-18 21:59:38

Get him to hospital. This is potentially very serious. How long did he stay on it for?

Isadora2007 Sun 18-Feb-18 21:59:48

Are the white spots blisters? How much of his body is burnt? I think you should definitely call 111. He could be very unwell and get dehydrated, can he drink ?

Salycinnamon11 Sun 18-Feb-18 21:59:57

The thing is he's terrified of hospitals so I think that's the real reason he doesn't want to go.

He said he didn't feel that bad during it, when he got off he said he felt a bit burnt and around an hour after he was in full blown agony.

Salycinnamon11 Sun 18-Feb-18 22:00:33

Sorry he did 9 minutes, has fair skin. I did tell him not to

PsychoPumpkin Sun 18-Feb-18 22:00:42

Call 111 anyway. He can’t put in a stiff upper lip about something like this. Just call for help

retirednow Sun 18-Feb-18 22:00:52

Poor guy, he must be in absolute agony, he needs medical help.

CurtainstoCurtains Sun 18-Feb-18 22:01:12

How is he manage his to stay in a subbed so longill!!!

It basically his own stupid fault, but that doesn’t mean he shouldn’t get help. He needs lots of water and a very cold shower ASAP!!

ChaChaChaCh4nges Sun 18-Feb-18 22:01:43

9 minutes did that?

twinone Sun 18-Feb-18 22:02:00

A&E, heat stroke can be dangerous.
You need to cool him down, keep him hydrated.

TitsNnails Sun 18-Feb-18 22:02:03

At the minimum, call 111. Can someone help you get him to hospital? This really is very serious.

GummyGoddess Sun 18-Feb-18 22:02:47

You need to take him, he probably feels embarrassed as well as scared of the hospital.

Is he drinking? Will he put aftersun or aloe vera gel on the really bad bits if you have any? If you don't then you need to go to A&E as you can't get anything from the shops for hours yet. They can always send him away if it isn't serious.

brownelephant Sun 18-Feb-18 22:02:52

yes to a&e
you have tried what you can with pain relief at home.

do not put anything other than tepid water on his skin without medical advice.

and tell him to stop whining, either he goes and seeks medical help or he stops moaning.

silly man

Idontmeanto Sun 18-Feb-18 22:03:36

He needs to go to hospital. Soak towels in cold water and cover him with them in the meantime.

Twofishfingers Sun 18-Feb-18 22:03:39

Can you take a taxi to a&e. He needs proper medical care.

He really needs to. Severe sunburns should be treated as regular burns. If it's red and no blisters it's a first degree burn so he can have cool showers, and put on fresh aloe vera ointment straight from the plant or you can get a tub from a pharmacy or health shop.

If there are blisters it's a second degree burn and he absolutely needs to see a doctor.

brownelephant Sun 18-Feb-18 22:05:05

burn blisters can appear after many hours.

UpstartCrow Sun 18-Feb-18 22:05:10

Take him to A&E. Just do it, dont ask his permission,. If he wont go call an ambulance.

JoshLymanIsHotterThanSam Sun 18-Feb-18 22:08:54

I agree it sounds like A and E. I once had heatstroke (aged 15) and it was horrific-that was without any sunburn.
He needs lots of water and I favoured wet towels that had been frozen whilst I was suffering with the heat stroke.

Janleverton Sun 18-Feb-18 22:09:43

The salon should be reported too. If you have very fair skin/lots of freckles you shouldn’t use at all. If you have a darker skin tone you shouldn’t ever use for longer than 10mins - 9 mins for first time use by a fair skinned person seems ridiculous.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now