Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Awkward situation - adult sulker

(100 Posts)
NQismyhome Sun 18-Feb-18 21:52:19

I’m on holiday with my family. My dsis has brought her boyfriend with her and he is, hands down, the sulkiest adult I have ever met!
Do I tell him to get a fucking grip or just grin and bear it and vow never to go on holiday with him again?
It’s so awkward. Dsis is so lovely and considerate and kind and he’s just a nobhead sad

TitsNnails Sun 18-Feb-18 21:54:28

I'd say something but I can't keep my mouth shut.

Will it make things worse for your sister if you do? Is he abusive in other ways?

MyBrilliantDisguise Sun 18-Feb-18 21:54:41

Just say something. She might choose to put up with his crap, but you don't have to.

A1Sharon Sun 18-Feb-18 21:54:59

Let him have it both barrels, I cannot abide sulking!
You don't have to have a screaming match, just tell him his behaviour is unacceptable and to grow up? And if he can't then go inside or whatever as you guys are on holiday and he is ruining it.
I don't believe this is his only annoying trait either, he must be knobish in other ways too?
What is he sulking about, do tell, I love a good rant!

NQismyhome Sun 18-Feb-18 22:02:47

I don’t even know where to begin!!
He is controlling and manipulative over things that fall fairly low on the scale but these are just the things I see. Goodness knows what else he’s doing that the rest of us don’t see.

NQismyhome Sun 18-Feb-18 22:05:36

I don’t know what to say to him right now.
We’re in a very quiet resort (mostly retired couples) and I think engaging in any conversation with him is not going to end well.
He’s brought his suitcase out of their room and is on his phone. I hope he leaves tbh.

Aprilshowerswontbelong Sun 18-Feb-18 22:07:01

Offer to book him in the kids club!!

Sar500 Sun 18-Feb-18 22:08:36

Gosh he sounds like a nightmare

Sarsparella Sun 18-Feb-18 22:10:22

Start pulling him up every time, can’t stand a sulker- what’s up with him exactly?

FannyFifer Sun 18-Feb-18 22:13:31

I once had a flat mate who had a boyfriend just like that.
We all nicknamed him The Incredible Sulk. grin

NQismyhome Sun 18-Feb-18 22:16:47

Tonight’s episode kicked off because he couldn’t find anything he fancied on the menu at the restaurant.
Last night's and the night before was because no one wanted to sit in the bar and get shitfaced - we’re on holiday with my 76year old mother and 15 year old ds ffs!!
He’s almost 50 and just wants to get hammered every night.

NQismyhome Sun 18-Feb-18 22:19:38

I don’t understand how a grown adult can be so ridiculous

NQismyhome Sun 18-Feb-18 22:28:14

Damn it, he’s not leaving, I think he’s just planning to sleep in the living room sad
I’m currently on the balcony - better go in incase I get locked out !!

feska5 Sun 18-Feb-18 22:28:14

Nothing worse than a sulky man child. Ignore him and try to enjoy the holiday with the rest of your family. Obviously don’t go away with him again. Holiday time is to precious to spend with a sulky knob. Speak to Dsis once you get home.

NQismyhome Sun 18-Feb-18 22:31:29

I’ve been trying to ignore the behaviour for the last two days. This has put a serious downer on things.
This is absolutely the last time I will go anywhere with him again. Unfortunately, that will mean spending less time with dsis and that makes me very sad - for her, mostly but also for the rest of us because we’re all so close. Or at least we were.

Jammycustard Sun 18-Feb-18 22:33:20

I thought you were going to say he was about 19.

NQismyhome Sun 18-Feb-18 22:34:44

Nope hmm (hmmis aimed at him grin)

MotherofaSurvivor Sun 18-Feb-18 22:35:25

Take him to one side, adopt MN heat tilt and put him well & truly in his place. Don't allow or enable him to ruin the rest of your holiday!

Nip it in the bud now!!!! Xx

feska5 Sun 18-Feb-18 22:35:28

How long has Dsis been with him? Hopefully it won’t last. She sounds lovely and may not put up with his behaviour - especially if he causes a rift with the rest of the family.

NorksAreMessy Sun 18-Feb-18 22:36:20

I suspect he won’t change his behaviour whatever you do sad

Ignore, ignore, ignore...and maybe plan some fun things to do just with your sister, the poor woman probably needs some love

Redwineistasty Sun 18-Feb-18 22:37:54

Have you told your Dsis that he is ruining your holiday —and that he’s a twat—

Parsleyisntfood Sun 18-Feb-18 22:38:15

Nothing a sulker hates more than you seemingly not noticing the sulk. Don’t concede but just “oh well dear, we are too young too old to sit boozing, maybe you can find some friends your own age, such fun” Usually ends up in a dramatic stomping off and then you can get on with your holiday.
My best friend is married to one, and in I’ve had the screaming matches (which is pointless because you can’t argue with unreasonable) so now you’d think I ate a daily unicorn. Gets you through the holiday.

Redwineistasty Sun 18-Feb-18 22:38:24

Argh cross out fail

SD1978 Sun 18-Feb-18 22:39:49

It’s hard. But I wouldn’t be able to help myself. Would your sister stop seeing you if he told her to go NC with you, if you did have a go? That would be a factor me, as she’s already in a shitty situation, and losing all contact would be harder for her if she does finally decide to leave him. He sounds like an absolute arsehole. I’d ignore him and his sulking, talk round him and don’t let him spoil what’s left of your holiday.

Crispbutty Sun 18-Feb-18 22:42:28

Sulkers generally thrive on attention so I would completely blank him for the rest of the holiday.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now