Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

46 yr old and losing my hair- HELP!

(11 Posts)
Oldowl Sun 18-Feb-18 21:46:43

My hair is that thin you can see my scalp.

Went to the pharmacy and he recommended using Johnson's baby shampoo rather than L'oreal's hair thickening stuff.

He said to book a Dr appointment if worried. Next non-urgent appointments are in April at my Drs. Eldery mother and teenage daughter both have a thick head of hair. Every time I brush my hair loads comes out and what I do have is thin.

Any advice?

Flippidyflap Sun 18-Feb-18 21:50:40

I’ve been using Waterman’s and it’s made a huge difference to how much hair I lose in a day. I don’t like the conditioner so just use the shampoo. I was really sceptical about it but it’s definitely done something!

Whywonttheyletmeusemyusername Sun 18-Feb-18 21:52:08

Plantur 39 tonic is brilliant

SnowGoArea Sun 18-Feb-18 21:57:16

See if iron supplements make a difference while you wait for go appt.

SnowGoArea Sun 18-Feb-18 21:58:35

This isn't the sort of thing that a special shampoo will fix BTW, not if it's all coming away when you brush.

I would also phone gp when you can case of cancellations.

filipafellipa Sun 18-Feb-18 22:01:54

peppermint oil is scientifically proven to help regrow hair and better than specific medial treatments

peppermint oil mixed with castor oil (another excellent hair regrowth thing)!( left on overnight)

few drops peppermint oil mixed in with your handful of shampoo and left on for a couple of minutes every wash

destress as much as possible

use alpecin or plantur

scalp massage daily

biotin supplements

GruffaloPants Mon 19-Feb-18 01:50:12

April?! Any functioing GP surgery you could transfer to? What constitutes urgent? Have you told them your hair is falling out?

AuntyElle Mon 19-Feb-18 02:42:28

Could you get a nurse practitioner appt earlier, they may be able to request blood tests? Then ask for the actual result of ferritin test. The clinical cut off for iron deficiency is approx 15, but there is research to show that you need ferritin of over 50 to halt hair loss and over 70 for regrowth.

Coyoacan Mon 19-Feb-18 03:17:41

It can be a symptom of a thyroid problem.

Oldowl Mon 19-Feb-18 18:15:47

Thank you for all your advice.

I went to see another pharmacist and she mentioned 'Regaine for Women'. I also bought Plantur 39.

I am eating red meat and lots of spinach so I would be surprised if I am iron deficient.

Petrichery Mon 19-Feb-18 18:32:07

My DM had this as a result of the menopause. She panicked about it so i researched it for her at the time and from what i could see it is a hormone-caused problem that menopause can cause for some.

By that i mean it didn’t go on happening until baldness (like male hair loss), it happened for a while and then stopped happening. I can’t swear that her hair got thicker again (it was always thin so hard to tell) but it did stop dissapearing after a while without intervention.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: