Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Does anyone still buy tinned fruit?

(307 Posts)
TossDaily Sun 18-Feb-18 21:19:52

I've just had some tinned pears and it felt like I'd gone back in time!

I bought them on a whim - I was brought up on tinned fruit on Sunday evenings, but it's just not something I usually buy these days.

One bite and all the memories came flooding back. Tinned pears with chocolate Angel Delight...tinned mandarin oranges with evaporated milk...fruit cocktail with ice-cream...

I think it's time for a revival.

Perendinate Sun 18-Feb-18 21:21:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lucysmam Sun 18-Feb-18 21:21:38

Yep, we always have a selection of tinned fruit in the cupboard!

Most popular atm is pineapple smile

Meandmy4 Sun 18-Feb-18 21:22:56

Meeeee !... peaches,pears and pineapple

GoAndAskDaddy Sun 18-Feb-18 21:23:15

I keep it in for when we run out of fruit.

AnyFucker Sun 18-Feb-18 21:23:27

I love tinned pears

Fresh pears are a faff not worth the trouble. Ditto pineapple.

Minestheoneinthegreen Sun 18-Feb-18 21:23:45

I buy tinned grapefruit. I love grapefruit but they do tend to languish until wizened. Tinned is less effort and have lots of juice.

WindyWednesday Sun 18-Feb-18 21:23:47

Yes, timed pears or peaches and cream is a perfectly acceptable family pudding at the weekend.

implantsandaDyson Sun 18-Feb-18 21:23:56

I never stopped grin We eat a lot of tinned peaches in this house - kids have them for breakfast, sometimes they bring some in for lunches in school. I use tinned pears in salads, mango as well.

AtleastitsnotMonday Sun 18-Feb-18 21:24:33

Very rarely but occasionally buy a tin of pineapple to make a kind of crushed pineapple relish to go with gammon. Oh and tinned peach and pineapple crumble is fabulous.
And once a year a tin of raspberries for the truffle at Christmas!

ChishandFips33 Sun 18-Feb-18 21:24:34

Me! I've just tucked in to a tin of pineapple

Always buy in juice not syrup though 😇

CMOTDibbler Sun 18-Feb-18 21:24:56

Yes - I love tinned fruit cocktail, and pineapple, mango, prunes, cherries and peach are very popular here

SnackMaBitchUp Sun 18-Feb-18 21:25:09

I love a del monte fruit salad! My kids love tinned peaches and ice cream.

XmasInTintagel Sun 18-Feb-18 21:25:12

Yep, handy as it doesn't go off, and available all year :-)

numbereightyone Sun 18-Feb-18 21:25:16

I have just started to buy tinned fruit again. It's really good.

TossDaily Sun 18-Feb-18 21:25:24

Yes, that's what I thought about fresh pairs. They're always so disappointing.

Fruit in general can be a bit hit and miss when it's fresh. I feel like I've hit on something.

(God, with this and the milk deliveries, I'm turning into my nana).

treaclesoda Sun 18-Feb-18 21:25:37

I love tinned pears. They are never too hard or too soft, always just right.

Also love tinned mandarins. And prunes.

I love tinned fruit in general actually, although only individuals fruits, I don't like fruits mixed together...

Namechangedtoscream Sun 18-Feb-18 21:25:49

Yes. I've been living off tinned peaches in syrup due to HG

yorkshireyummymummy Sun 18-Feb-18 21:26:15

Yes! Tinned pineapple is very good and much more reasonable than buying a pineapple and throwing it out three weeks later!
Tinned apricots are lovely for tarts aux (insert fruit name) with a frangipane. Tinned pears are always ripe and YUM!
My mum used to do a pudding with mandarins.........drain the mandarins and put in a soufflé type dish. Make custard with egg yolks, cornflour, sugar and milk. Pour on top of mandarins. Make a meringue with the egg whites and put on top of custard. Bake in medium oven for about 20 mins till golden! Yum yum yum.

AndNoneForGretchenWieners Sun 18-Feb-18 21:26:24

Yep - DH is having chemo at the moment and doesn't have much of an appetite, but can always manage a bowl of tinned pears and tinned fruit cocktail with Birds instant custard. He can't have fresh fruit or fresh custard at the moment as he's on a neutropenic diet, so it feels like a real treat to him. It takes me back to being a child at my nan's, we used to have tinned peach slices with evaporated milk for pudding.

strawberriesaregood Sun 18-Feb-18 21:26:49

I always have tinned pineapple for pizza, and for this one Chinese noodle recipe I make sometimes. Fresh pineapple doesn’t work so well.

Ploppymoodypants Sun 18-Feb-18 21:26:52

Oooh yes, tonnes peaches and double cream. Yummy.
Also make a crumble out of tinned peaches if I have run out of frozen summer fruits or apples (don’t like fresh but out of season fruit from supermarket as it tastes hard)

Pumpkinisland89 Sun 18-Feb-18 21:27:33

Love warmed pears with ice cream and cinammon. Yum!

LtGreggs Sun 18-Feb-18 21:28:08

Yes we get them - makes a good pudding (just on its own, or with ice cream if lucky). I also put in to packwd lunches (decant in to single portion tupperware). I shop once a week - good to have for later part of week.

We like pears, apricots, peaches, pineapple.

TossDaily Sun 18-Feb-18 21:28:09

I only go for the ones in juice, not syrup.

I'm excited by the prospect of tinned mango! I adore mango, but it's so often disappointingly hard and dry when it comes prepared in plastic, and fresh ones are such a messy faff.

And, there's the added bonus of being prepared for apocalypse...win win!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: