Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Psoriasis: poor ds1 has it

(13 Posts)
Cobblersandhogwash Sun 18-Feb-18 20:30:32

I'm gutted for him. My grandfather had it really badly.

Ds1 is 12. He has had it on his scalp for ages. We use GP prescribed shampoo and that's stopped working now. He says it's spreading over his arms and legs. We have to go back to the GP this week.

Is there any advice or experience that anyone could post that might help?

I feel so sorry for him. He's such a self conscious shy boy as it is.

ShangriLaLaLa Sun 18-Feb-18 20:56:22

Poor boy - I’ve had it since the age of 6. The good news is that with careful management, it can be kept at bay. Medication can do wonders with an outbreak but I generally use natural products year round. Dead Sea black mud soap is fantastic for washing, as are regular soaks in Dead Sea salt in the bath. When it flares, Balmeum bath oil is great, so soothing. You can get it on prescription and also order it from the pharmacy. Shampoos vary: I like orange oil and if you have a Neal’s Yard nearby you can get them to mix up a mild cleansing shampoo with an orange oil base. Tea tree is a good standby too.

My best tips are at the first sign of a flare up, take long salt soaks. I also benefit from the sun and my skin reacts badly to orange juice in quantity. I hated my psoriasis but it’s so much more common now and people tend to understand. Keep his skin moist and comfortable whenever you can and if possible, expose the skin and let the air get to it.

I hope it stabilises quickly and causes the minimum upset.

MrsMooks Sun 18-Feb-18 21:00:00

Ask the Dr for Enstilar. Its a new foam steroid. Completely got rid of it on my elbows and it's not come back. Worth a try. Google it and read the reviews about it. It works much better than creams.

Cobblersandhogwash Sun 18-Feb-18 21:01:37

Oh thank you. He's feeling quite desperate.

He wants to shave his head for the summer so that the sun can really get to his scalp. He has very thick hair.

I will ask the GP about the options you suggest.

When you say moisturise, what should I use on him for that?

Cobblersandhogwash Sun 18-Feb-18 21:02:13

And he loves orange juice! Is that a common trigger?

MyBrilliantDisguise Sun 18-Feb-18 21:03:06

I find sugar is a real trigger.

PragmaticWench Sun 18-Feb-18 21:04:08

My oldest friend has it and I have eczema so we chat about skin a fair bit! She finds that keeping on top of exfoliation means it looks better, so the scaly patches are less obvious, and helps any topical medication to reach the underlying skin better.

I've heard from a dermatologist friend that biologic treatment is the new big thing but you usually have to go through other treatments first.

GingerKitCat Sun 18-Feb-18 21:07:54

Sounds weird but the L'oreal Elvive for men gets great reviews for treating psoriasis.

this one

Has to be the black and orange one smile

anothernetter Sun 18-Feb-18 21:11:32

I've got psoriasis in both sides of my family (DH and my dad). It tends to go through times when it's worse and then there is a latent phase when it isn't so bad. I keep hearing amazing feedback about a creme from Child's Farm - I was just mentioning to DH today actually. He hasn't tried it yet but is going to give it a go. I don't think it costs very much either. I think diet can help too. Sorry your poor son is going through this

anothernetter Sun 18-Feb-18 21:12:25

Just to add both of them have found that it gets worse when they are under a lot of stress

Tweetypie88 Sun 18-Feb-18 21:15:28

I was ready to comment with info about child's farm, have seen above poster mention it too. Search them on FB as people leave comments and pictures about how much the cream has helped them etc... cheap and cheerful shampoo and baby moisturiser that is great for sensitive skins and apparently a miracle for eczema and psoriasis.

DGRossetti Sun 18-Feb-18 21:39:28

Coal tar ?
Aveeno to moisturise.

ShangriLaLaLa Sun 18-Feb-18 22:29:57

Yes, moisturise after bathing to keep the skin comfortable.

The orange juice thing may be individual to me. It is particularly noticeable during an extreme flare up. Drinking it seems to exacerbate the redness and itching and makes the plaques worse. I now avoid it at all times. Red wine is similar, although I do struggle to go without that!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now