Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Films that really got to you and why?

(127 Posts)
Mindhunter Sun 18-Feb-18 13:54:09

I know it's probably been done to death but hey I'm ill in bed and don't have to pick the kids up till later. So thought I would ask.

I've just been watching The Babadook and god it's scary. I wouldn't say because of the monster more the way it depicts the isolation and hardship of being single mother. Maybe it's the illness talking but I've felt that dark feeling from time to time and watching this made me feel really uneasy.

So as the title says what films have really got to you?

Unevenbeard Sun 18-Feb-18 14:17:37

The pursuit of happiness always gets to me, especially when they sleep in the subway. It's inspiring how he overcome such adversity, a fantastic film

TossDaily Sun 18-Feb-18 14:21:06

The Arrival - the way Amy Adams' character goes ahead and has her daughter anyway despite knowing the eventual outcome.

I just found it unbearably moving and couldn't stop crying for ages after it.

SleepingStandingUp Sun 18-Feb-18 14:24:15

We watched A Monster Calls. The last half hour we just sat in silence it was that hard hitting.
Also Lion is just stunning and evocative

alltoomuchrightnow Sun 18-Feb-18 14:25:18

The Elephant Man, so sad, beautifully artistically filmed (Lynch at best) and knowing it's based on truth

Children of Men. Brutal and thought provoking.

LetsGoFlyAKiteee Sun 18-Feb-18 14:29:04

SleepingStandingUp snap! About to post those 2.
A monster calls for the obvious reasons. That was hard. The message from the tree as well.. His truth just :-(

Lion because the ending. Finding home after all those years and then finding out about the brother. How the mum waited all that time. The book got to me as well.

SleepingStandingUp Sun 18-Feb-18 14:30:38

Ki thought A Monster Calls would be a little scary, a little funny. I didn't expect heartbreaking. I thought it was wonderful!!

Lion I just cried consistently through most of it haha

HildaZelda Sun 18-Feb-18 14:33:05

Not a film, but 'Long Lost Family' absolutely destroys me. I can't watch it without bawling. Probably due to having a shitty upbringing myself and also the fact that I have an inkling that I may have a half sibling out there but no way of knowing for sure.

happinessischocolate Sun 18-Feb-18 14:33:35

I thought the babadook was hilarious, and I'm s single Mum too.

Not a film but a tales of the unexpected from 30 odd years ago,it ended with the family being locked in a remote house unable to get out because the door and windows had electric current going through them. It put me off a house we wanted to move into recently as the house reminded me of the one from TOTU it dud then make me think the family could have dug through s wall to get out

Pinkprincess1978 Sun 18-Feb-18 14:43:37

This Boys Life

My step dad wasn't anywhere near as bad as Robert De Niro's character but his actions resonated with me and I found it hard watching. Still makes me cry and brings back feeling of unfairness I had living at home as a teenager.

busyknee Sun 18-Feb-18 14:46:11

Manchester by the sea.

Still suffering with post traumatic stress from watching it months ago.

So upsetting. I wept and wept.

busyknee Sun 18-Feb-18 14:47:17

It's the numb scene at the police station where he explains everything. So matter of fact. So underwhelming and yet so utterly devastating.

88mph Sun 18-Feb-18 14:49:23

The Lobster. I can't even say what it is about it, but I found it so hard to get out of my head afterwards.

Screaminginsideme Sun 18-Feb-18 14:52:48

Me before you - I sobbed all the way home from the cinema, and I very rarely cry at films etc.

SneakyGremlins Sun 18-Feb-18 14:56:10

The Boy In The Striped Pajamas sad

Eminybob Sun 18-Feb-18 14:59:14

I found The Impossible so incredibly harrowing. The idea of being separated from your family like that. Weird as I watched it before I had dc, I don’t think I’d be able to watch at all now.

beargrass Sun 18-Feb-18 15:05:58

"Philomena" was very upsetting. But if I give you the "why", it would spoil it for others

SleepingStandingUp Sun 18-Feb-18 15:12:16

Oh God The Boy In Stripped Pajamas, I watched it the night I finished reading The Book Thief. I was soooooo gone.
Also saw it as a ballet and blubbed my heart out

SaltedCaramelPopcorn Sun 18-Feb-18 15:12:20

Schindler's List - the ending where they put stones on his grave. The camera pans out to show a queue of people stretching way over the hillside of all the descendants of the people he saved. Really puts what one person can do into perspective

Marinade Sun 18-Feb-18 15:16:19

21 grams is heartbreakingly moving. I also thought Interstellar was very thought provoking and something about it lingers with you afterwards.

Marinade Sun 18-Feb-18 15:18:20

Never let me go is incredibly unsettling to watch.

justkeeponsmiling Sun 18-Feb-18 15:20:58

"The way I live now". I thought it eas a brilliant film but it haunted me for weeks, especially one scene which nearly broke me and I still have nightmares about. But still was worth watching it.

beela Sun 18-Feb-18 15:26:01

The time traveller's wife. I cried at the book, then I cried and cried at the film (I was 8 months pg at the time. But not when I read the book).

lolaflores Sun 18-Feb-18 15:26:43

The Edith Piaf film with Marianne Coitallard (i think.)
I rarely watch a film twice but each time I just bawl. Proper, mouth open, heaving, snot strings crying. And I love it.
cathartic.
I don't know why it makes me cry it just feels like a kick in the guts.
Will never watch Schindlers list because I know it will be too difficult.
Same Sophies Choice
NOt that hard to make me cry so I shouldn't even try and make a list.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: