Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

If you have a kitchen island, what’s on it?

(21 Posts)
99bluebuttons Sat 17-Feb-18 22:34:03

Is it like mine and cluttered, no matter how often you clear it? Or do you have a lovely clear surface with a nice centrepiece, be it flowers, plants, candles or fruit? My island is clear now and that is how it is going to stay but it’s a big area and needs something in the middle ... just not a fruit bowl because that was filled with notes and toys, not fruit!

Anyone care to inspire me?

Bluntness100 Sat 17-Feb-18 22:37:29

Mines always clear. Right now I have a very large vase of cream roses on it.

Pinkponiesrock Sat 17-Feb-18 22:40:13

Pinterest it!

My friend who makes everything look good usually has a framed picture of a drawing the kids have done, a hurricane type vase with tiny wire lights in it, a plant or flowers.

However if I put stuff like that on my table it just looks like it needs tidied away blush

CakeNinja Sat 17-Feb-18 22:49:07

Always clear as are the worktops. Everything is in cupboards or drawers. My exceptions are either one large candle or a vase of flowers.

Longdistance Sat 17-Feb-18 22:51:47

I have a double island. It’s full of shit. I really need a black bin bag to dump it all, except dds wouldn’t be too pleased that their school bags, Brownies/rainbow shite and stationery will all end up being dumped. Sigh...

cakesonatrain Sat 17-Feb-18 22:53:40

Oh, a big pile of paperwork crap, an empty cake box, a pair of DH's (clean) trousers, DH's keys, an oven glove and a teatowel.

Pastaagain78 Sat 17-Feb-18 22:57:39

A load of random tat. In random piles each end because I have wiped the middle.

BreakfastAtSquiffanys Sat 17-Feb-18 23:01:52

My fruit bowl gets filled with crap too!

onemorecakeplease Sat 17-Feb-18 23:02:02

My butler sink and some hand soap.

On the other side a huge fruit bowl so the kids can reach it.

My friends island is full of crap you can’t even get near it or sit down at it. Hate that - put it away!!!

99bluebuttons Sat 17-Feb-18 23:09:50

Oh I looked at Pinterest, Ponies. Beautiful islands, sparkling with wooden trays containing plants, candles etc, all artfully arranged. My artful would never look like that, not in a million years!

It’s lovely to read of other, similarly messy islands and am envious of that belonging to Cake. I did go hunting for a lovely big 3 wick candle yesterday -anything I saw was too small and would be lost in the expanse of granite. The lovely lady in HoF recommended this but I think I would be heading for the divorce courts if I spent that on a candle! I need something with a good diameter rather than tall. Actually, there are three pendant lights over said island ... would three pillar candles be better?

HildaZelda Sun 18-Feb-18 00:40:20

Aldi had the three wick candles in for Valentines. There might still be some left. I think they were around a tenner. What about one of those?

Smokeyrobinson Sun 18-Feb-18 00:52:08

Mine has a large vase of daffodils, several candles and 3 wooden chopping boards with decorative cut out hearts on them. I try and keep it clear and tidy.

PwynethGaltrow Sun 18-Feb-18 00:57:23

Absolutely nothing apart from the induction hob, tappanyaki,pop up knife block and sockets and built in scales. 3m x2m of clear worktop.

I do have a wall shelf with a fruit bowl, iPhone speaker/charger and candle

llangennith Sun 18-Feb-18 01:13:36

Kitchen too small for an island now but when we had a bigger house with an island in the kitchen it was usually a hot spot for homework, school bags, mail etc. I loved the look of it when I cleared it but it didn’t happen often.

Corcory Sun 18-Feb-18 01:14:23

The sink and drainers on one side and a Poinsettia and the dishes waiting to go into the dishwasher on the other. Oh and a pile of mismatched socks!!

NamedyChangedy Sun 18-Feb-18 07:54:07

Mine gets cleared every night, so there's just a big orchid and a little tray with hand soap etc. But right now it's littered with half the weekly shopping delivery, two lots of homework, various gadgets and the class bear.

Iggity Sun 18-Feb-18 08:04:23

An Alexa and that’s it. I’d prefer not to have the Alexa there as I like it being clear. A vase of flowers stuck the middle of it would be annoying and always need to be moved. We use it as our main worktop so either eating at it, food being served or home work being done. My DH also uses it to knead dough when making bread. It looks really messy when things are left on it. It has three drawers and 2 cupboards on one side for storage.

JMAngel1 Sun 18-Feb-18 08:10:10

Mine has a domed cake stand, beautiful inlaid tray, gorgeous fruit bowl, vintage mirror leaning against wall, flowers and bluetooth speaker. Bloody love it - it allso has a huge vintage chandelier hanging over it.

Spillette Sun 18-Feb-18 08:16:52

Built in scales??! [swoons]

Autumnchill Sun 18-Feb-18 08:18:54

Sink and DAB radio. During the week it gets filled up and today will be clearing his crap off it

CakeNinja Sun 18-Feb-18 11:53:42

99 my large candle is one my mum buys me every year from Costco, it’s a big 3 wick cinnamon and lasts months. I leave it lit most days every day and it just gently scents the whole of the ground floor. I was gutted yesterday as one of the wicks had completely gone and I could tell the other 2 were pretty much on their last legs. I’m laid up at the moment with a dodgy back and MIL turned with a little present to cheer me up - it was a large 3 wick white company candle! It was like fate! grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: