Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Banned wet wipes in public loos

(156 Posts)
PollyPerky Sat 17-Feb-18 21:35:44

I noticed that some places incl one J Lewis store have a notice saying do not put wet wipes down the loo.

So what exactly are you supposed to do with them?

I like a clean bum for hygiene reasons and use them; I also have slight IBS and sometimes poo away from home.

Are we supposed to put them in the san bin container of what?

I understand about blocking sewers, but surely there is a way round this?

woodlanddreamer Sat 17-Feb-18 21:37:24

Carry nappy bags & dispose of them afterwards.

woodlanddreamer Sat 17-Feb-18 21:38:00

What do you do with them at home?

brownelephant Sat 17-Feb-18 21:39:33

yes, put them in the bin.
or use loo paper and spray water on them. (mini spray bottle from a chemist travel section)

Mummyontherun86 Sat 17-Feb-18 21:39:46

It honestly would never occur to me that anyone flushed wipes! Gracious, that will block toilets in a hurry.
In your situation carry nappy sacks, bag up and put in Sanpro bin or nappy bin if available.

gamerchick Sat 17-Feb-18 21:40:45

You’re joking right? grin you don’t really put wet wipes down the toilet do you?

WhatWouldLeslieKnopeDo Sat 17-Feb-18 21:42:11

The way round them not blocking sewers is not to flush them.

None of them are safe to flush. Only loo roll.

If you really must use them then put them in the bin.

MrsJoshDun Sat 17-Feb-18 21:42:32

Yes, you’re supposed to put them in the sanitary protection bin, it’s quite simple.

NailedOn50 Sat 17-Feb-18 21:42:51

It’s fine to flush wipes labelled “flushable,” but only one or two at a time. You can’t flush Huggies etc.

MrsJoshDun Sat 17-Feb-18 21:43:36

Also the toilets may be a macerator system and these get clogged very quickly with wipes, which I imagine is why the signs are up.

gamerchick Sat 17-Feb-18 21:44:03

It’s not fine to flush things labelled as flushable hmm just because they manage to flush away doesn’t mean you should.

WhatWouldLeslieKnopeDo Sat 17-Feb-18 21:44:11

Nailed unfortunately even the supposedly flushable ones can cause sewer blockages

brownelephant Sat 17-Feb-18 21:44:37

It’s fine to flush wipes labelled “flushable,” but only one or two at a time. You can’t flush Huggies etc.

it's not fine. how companies are still allowed to put that on the packaging I don't know.

Perendinate Sat 17-Feb-18 21:45:23

Put them in the san bin.

So called flushable wipes aren't. They are causing huge problems.

user1486076969 Sat 17-Feb-18 21:45:26

Wet wipes don't go down the loo.....ever!

gamerchick Sat 17-Feb-18 21:46:29

Personally I think councils and services that deal with the crap that builds up because people have no common sense sued the arse off manufactures who put flushable on their products, it might sort the problem out sharpish.

JennyOnAPlate Sat 17-Feb-18 21:48:09

You can't put wet wipes down any loo. You're not flushing them at home are you??

WhatWouldLeslieKnopeDo Sat 17-Feb-18 21:49:57

It always seems especially unfair that it's often not the person who flushes inappropriate things that ends up with the sewage problem, but someone further down the street.

Ollivander84 Sat 17-Feb-18 21:56:45

You can get a toilet tissue spray, one is called fresh x. Keep that in your bag? Or some nappy disposal bags for the wipes

Moominfan Sat 17-Feb-18 21:58:16

It was only the other day someone was asking who in this day and age flushes wet wipes and we know

londonista Sat 17-Feb-18 22:00:45

This is a wind up, right?
Surely there can't be anyone left alive that knows flushing baby wipes is not right.

lljkk Sat 17-Feb-18 22:03:26

I toured some sewage works recently (my job is so glam...). The engineers have to clear the "rag" as in textiles (as in baby wipes) out of sewage muck by hand. The 'rag' can destroy machines that cost £60,000. So obviously Yes, a lot of people really are that ignorant. Just in case you wondered why your water rates are so high.

Crunchymum Sat 17-Feb-18 22:05:26

Yes OP, what do you do with them at home? shock

WhatWouldLeslieKnopeDo Sat 17-Feb-18 22:08:46

londonista I think most people know about baby wipes. The problem is with the "moist toilet tissue" wipes, which claim to be flushable, and are marketed as something everybody needs.

MammyHester9116 Sat 17-Feb-18 22:09:11

Only the 3 Ps allowed down the loo - pee, poo and paper!
Another person who has been to the sewage works (teacher).
One of the experiments is to test paper, wet wipes and flushable wipes. Paper disintegrated, wet wipes stayed exactly the same, disposable wet wipes partially disintegrated (holes in the wipe but not enough to not cause damage)!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now