Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Curtains? Blinds? Do I need net curtains? Don't know what to choose!

(21 Posts)
losenotloose Sat 17-Feb-18 21:16:32

I really like shutters but have heard they block out a lot of light and can be expensive. I like curtains but would I also need net curtains? Venetian blinds seem practical but are they naff?

Please help me decide what to do!

Flyingprettycretonnecurtains Sat 17-Feb-18 21:39:26

Venetian blinds are a complete pta to clean. I have one set in the bathroom. Grrrr. Rest of front windows have shutters. Love them. So so useful. I leave them over window with slats open when at work. When opened fully you get loads of light. If you turn slats upwards for holidays, means no one can look in. Go shutters! Bare in mind to beat down any quote and don't use Thomas Sanderson as utterly over expensive. Majority of shutters are made in China so wait time is quite long.

Plumsofwrath Sat 17-Feb-18 21:40:12

Whatever you do, not the vertical blinds.

Slanted blinds are a pita to keep clean, and imo only look acceptable in a kitchen or bathroom.

You could go for sheer roller blinds behind actual curtains.

But plantation shutters are as good as the money you spend on them. I think they look good in some rooms, less so others. All a matter of taste.

Plumsofwrath Sat 17-Feb-18 21:40:57

Slatted not slanted

losenotloose Sat 17-Feb-18 23:46:18

Do shutters let in enough light? Maybe I'll have to stick to curtains. Not sure about roller blinds, and hate net curtains!

Davros Sun 18-Feb-18 00:00:57

Plantation shutters let in plenty of light and you can always fully open them or only have them 2/3 up the height if the window?

Dowser Sun 18-Feb-18 00:49:03

Definitely not nets

safariboot Sun 18-Feb-18 03:54:06

Yeah, I think Venetian blinds would look out of place in most rooms. OK for kitchen, study, DC's study-bedroom.

You only need nets if you want to have lots of natural light and also have privacy. They're kind of unfashionable now. At the moment our living room has some thin unlined curtains that let in plenty of light even when closed, but of course they won't be very good for insulation.

SharkSave Sun 18-Feb-18 07:20:29

Do you need anything other than curtains? Are you particularly overlooked? We only have normal curtains or a blind in and nothing else. We don't get a lot of people walking past peering in though

Nyetimber Sun 18-Feb-18 07:34:45

Nobody needs net curtains! They are ghastly, dirty common items.
Definitely not vertical blinds. Unless you live in an office.
You can buy Venetian blind dusters.
It would entirely depend on the style and age of house as to the best window dressing. We have a very old part of our house that would look ridiculous with shutters (and would contravene consents).
It depends also on the room. Blinds might be acceptable for a kitchen but not a bedroom or sitting room? A dining room calls for heavier, more luxuriant curtains than a bedroom. Heavy velvet curtains would look silly in a kitchen.

Allsloppy Sun 18-Feb-18 07:38:58

I would not anything with slats they are just dust collectors. I have a roller blind in a sheer fabric that you can see out but people cannot see in. They are like a modern net curtains. Got mine from Hilary's online when they were on offer.

Flomy Sun 18-Feb-18 07:45:17

Net is not acceptable unless you say voile.

Anyway I have plain nets in upstairs bedrooms with a 90" drop.

I have white walls, beautiful duck egg
bluey/green curtains with the nets & they look lovely. Very light for the sun coming in and they can go in the washing machine.

CherryMaDeary Sun 18-Feb-18 07:57:43

Voile curtains are a must for me as people do look in a lot into the living room.

nocake Sun 18-Feb-18 08:08:24

We used to have a house with the front window close to the pavement and we had Venetian blinds. They looked good and weren't a pain to clean.

Net curtains look terrible IMHO.

Doodlebug5 Sun 18-Feb-18 08:39:02

I have triple track curtain rails with a pole. So I have white sheer curtains on a track which I can close if I am watching tv and the sun is shining through then I have my normal curtains.

It works really well

Justgivemesomepeace Sun 18-Feb-18 08:44:44

I went for this blind from Ikea. I thought nets/voiles aren't really my style, wooden blinds wood keep the light out so tried this. Looks modern and clean, let's all the light through but people can't see in.

losenotloose Sun 18-Feb-18 12:10:44

I like the idea of the sheer roller blind. We are quite overlooked so do need something. Picture is of our living room. Bit messy but we've recently moved in!

Foxyloxy1plus1 Sun 18-Feb-18 12:16:21

You can easily dust Venetian blinds if you put an old sock on your hand and just slide along the slats.

NameChanger22 Sun 18-Feb-18 12:21:59

Definitely not blinds or nets - they're ugly and dated. I would go for light cotton or linen curtain, in a very pale colour, the light still comes through but you can't see in or out.

safariboot Sun 18-Feb-18 16:43:10

Those sheer roller blinds posted earlier do look good.

mercurymaze Sun 18-Feb-18 16:48:06

We have plain nets like your last photo option without them id just be looking out on the neighbours manoeuvring their cars

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now