Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

A&E tomorrow or WIC Monday - possible broken foot

(16 Posts)
Namechangedtoscream Sat 17-Feb-18 19:48:38

Dc smacked their toe on Friday- that is black and strapped to the next one - however they've developed a pretty impressive bruise on the top of their foot (at the base of the toes stretching back half way up the bridge with some discoloration on the sole) and are saying it's very painful but coping on paracetamol. My layman's experience of a broken metatarsal was the bruise was through and through like this so I'm inclined to be sympathetic to the hobbling and complaining.

We have 2 choices. WIC only xrays for 2 hours a day Monday to Friday so we can wait and hope to get in on Monday or up bright and early and schlep to a&e for what may amount to just a bad bruise.

HopscotchShots Sat 17-Feb-18 19:49:26

For a child? A and E.

Slartybartfast Sat 17-Feb-18 19:49:35

sunday morn A & E ?

brownelephant Sat 17-Feb-18 19:51:07

go now.
bones in children heal quickly and if they don't heal together properly you might end up with long term issues

Canwejustrelaxnow Sat 17-Feb-18 19:51:20

I was advised that bones start healing immediately so you need to get it seen asap.

Icklepickle101 Sat 17-Feb-18 19:55:26

I’d go now. First thing tomorrow it will Be busy from ‘the night before’

Namechangedtoscream Sat 17-Feb-18 19:57:52

A mix then!! Our paeds a&e is separated from the main one so I'm hoping Sunday am will be reasonably quiet. Saturday, for an injury sustained on Friday, they will kick us out knowing our hospital

Poodletip Sat 17-Feb-18 20:00:00

A&E now!

HicDraconis Sat 17-Feb-18 20:02:26

Problem is if he’s broken something other than a toe he might need it K wiring to stop it healing out of alignment. I would go to A&E now rather than wait overnight.

Slartybartfast Sat 17-Feb-18 20:09:52

why dont you ring them?

HopscotchShots Sat 17-Feb-18 20:22:05

Or ring 111 for advice?

whosahappyharry Sat 17-Feb-18 20:28:27

I've been a paediatric nurse in A&E and our busiest day is always a Sunday! But we are less busy in the mornings so go first thing. If he's in a lot of unmanageable pain or cannot weight bear or you're really worried about how it looks, get him seen tonight. Otherwise keep him topped up with painkillers, ice and elevate overnight and get him in first thing in the morning. Encourage him to rest it for now just in case it is broken.

MakeLemonade Sat 17-Feb-18 20:33:21

I would go to A&E tonight, I left my DD’s arm overnight and it was a broken but not severely and I got a mild ticking off for not bringing her in sooner - they said with potential broken bones it’s best to err on side of caution.

Namechangedtoscream Sat 17-Feb-18 21:07:39

I called them and they said to avoid going tonight as it's so busy and dc will be a low priority but go tomorrow before 9. I'm taking that to mean about 7-8am. Dc is going to hate us!!

Namechangedtoscream Sat 17-Feb-18 21:14:31

Thanks for your help btw. We have been doing RICE since it happened.

Slartybartfast Sat 17-Feb-18 21:37:18

Good luck tomorrow

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now