Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Is anyone else making their child's World Book Day costume?

(168 Posts)
lucysmam Sat 17-Feb-18 17:08:22

Dd2 wants to be Maleficent this year so I'm about to load Pinterest for a horn and staff tutorial. Hopefully I can cobble a dress together from something we already have in the dressing up box with some added bits. I'm thinking of chopping up the Halloween dress she's almost outgrown maybe.

No idea yet what dd1 wants but I'm hoping she decides soon so I can diy rather than pay a fortune for something she's only likely to wear the once.

What about you lot? Are you making, buying, not bothering? smile

dontsufferfools Sat 17-Feb-18 17:09:44

Nope. I just haven't got the time (or inclination).

Ebay for me.

Crunchymum Sat 17-Feb-18 17:10:19

Absolutely not.

We'll do what we do every year. Gruffalo jumper and Gruffalo puppet. Have invested in a new jumper though!!

LadyDeadpool Sat 17-Feb-18 17:13:42

Parts of it, he wants to be a tooth fairy so I'll be making a tooth applique for a white t-shirt, a tooth wand and a tooth pouch to fill with coins. The rest - tutu, wings and leggings are coming from amazon.
This is our first world book day and I'm only disappointed he didn't choose something more interesting so I could get the sewing machine out grin

OuchBollocks Sat 17-Feb-18 17:53:47

Don't know if DD's nursery are doing it. If they are I will make some paper dolls and put a butterfly hairslide in her hair, job done.

GailLondon Sat 17-Feb-18 17:58:47

I’m making a very simple stick man outfit for 3yr old ds. Have bought a brown long sleeved t-shirt and leggings, will draw on a wood grain pattern with sharpie, and glue on a few leaves cut out of green felt.

DelurkingAJ Sat 17-Feb-18 18:05:12

DS1 (5) wants to be Captain Underpants...he’ll wear normal clothes with a pair of pants on the outside and I’ll make a red cloak. Delighted!

FlyingGoose Sat 17-Feb-18 18:08:46

I will be making a highway rat costume. Have bought all the things I need and I hopefully I won't screw it up!

PerfectlySymmetricalButtocks Sat 17-Feb-18 18:12:25

No, because the one year we did that, DD didn't get into the class photo. She specifically asked for a shop bought costume. 😠

FallenAngel89 Sat 17-Feb-18 18:12:47

I'm thinking of braving Stick Man! Bring on the cardboard contraption 😂

PerfectlySymmetricalButtocks Sat 17-Feb-18 18:12:53

This year, I should add.

silver1977 Sat 17-Feb-18 18:16:46

PerfectlySymmetricalButtocks ooh my son has decided on the highway rat, how are you putting that together?

BitchQueen90 Sat 17-Feb-18 18:16:51

Am I heck!

DS's school have specified to come in pyjamas for world book day. Massive relief for me. grin

silver1977 Sat 17-Feb-18 18:18:25

Sorry I meant FlyingGoose!

PerfectlySymmetricalButtocks Sat 17-Feb-18 18:20:09

Not me! That's FlyingGoose!

TeddyBee Sat 17-Feb-18 18:22:39

We haven’t had our instructions yet! But yes, I always make. It’s my one non-slacker parent moment.

FlyingGoose Sat 17-Feb-18 18:30:06

I am making the trousers from purple crushed velvet. Cape and mask from old black velvet dress I will never fit in again 😢. An oversized school shirt, cut off cuffs and collar and add lace trim to both and down the front of the shirt. And I bought the hat and sword. I am only a novice so winging it for the most part.

MiaowTheCat Sat 17-Feb-18 18:31:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Commuterface Sat 17-Feb-18 18:33:53

DD wants to be Stickman and won’t go for anything shop bought. So it looks like I’ll be cobbling something together this years 😬😬

64BooLane Sat 17-Feb-18 18:35:28

Oh god, it’s really soon isn’t it? Bollocks.

Just looked it up. If anyone else is wondering, it’s Thursday 1 March

lucysmam Sat 17-Feb-18 18:36:54

grin there are some definite no's here...I don't mind the creative stuff!

Any ideas how to attach horns to one of these hats? I'm dithering between trying to do that and attaching horns to a headband once I make them.

UnderTheSleepingBaby Sat 17-Feb-18 18:38:09

I am but I wish I didn't have to this year as I have a baby that is literally never off me and we are mid minor home renovations which have created a huge amount of mess!

DS wants to be Toby spell dragon though and I can't find anything suitable without spending a fortune.
So far in 3 days I have managed to cut 2 triangles of fabric to start the tail, wish me luck or preferably send me some extra time!

LadyDeadpool Sat 17-Feb-18 18:44:47

You could cut slits into the turban and attach the horns to acetate or card with long edges then slip them in the slits with the edges glue gunned to hold it in place?

Buglife Sat 17-Feb-18 18:51:01

My DS is only 3 and a half and wants to be Dinosaur Roar so I’ve just bought a T Rex onesie as that’s much easier than constructing a T Rex costume. Plenty about. When he’s older and if he asks for anything a bit different or obscure I’ll make it!

ISpeakJive Sat 17-Feb-18 18:54:59

I would attach the horns to a small headband, make slits in the hat and thread it through the inside.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: