Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Work WWYD?

(23 Posts)
OlafLovesAnna Sat 17-Feb-18 16:33:43

I've posted about their before (sort of) but I just need another opinion or 2 or thoughts on how to proceed.

I am interviewing for a job a couple of grades up on Wednesday and am confident I've got a good chance of getting the post which is a fixed term contract until Dec 2018.

The problem is that my DH is very likely to be offered a foreign posting for 2 years from August 2018 and if he got the job I'd go with him.

Do I bow out of the interview? Do I tell them about the time constraint or do I go for the job and not mention the possible move? If it makes any difference it's in the organisation I currently work in just a different department.

CoffeenoTea Sat 17-Feb-18 16:37:34

if it is a maybe not a definate move then don't mention it. if it definate ask them if it matters?

Els1e Sat 17-Feb-18 16:38:28

I would go for the interview and not say anything about possibly leaving in August. There is a lot of maybes to go through yet. Good luck.

PsychoSyd Sat 17-Feb-18 16:40:17

If you got the job, would DH be able to go ahead without you and then you join him in December?

FogCutter Sat 17-Feb-18 16:40:40

Go for the job and don't mention it. They may use the possibility of your moving as a reason not to give you the job. Evan if you do move in August you can do the new job for 6 months.

OlafLovesAnna Sat 17-Feb-18 16:49:48

It's a strong possibility- maybe 85% likely.

I don't want to burn bridges but the uplift in pay and grade for cv would be a help. Not apart from the fact the job itself looks great.

OlafLovesAnna Sat 17-Feb-18 16:51:29

It just feels dishonest not to mention it I suppose, but as with all jobs I doubt any big organisation worries too much about the employees on a personal level.

Alanna1 Sat 17-Feb-18 16:59:00

Go for the job! Who knows what will happen with your husband. August 2018 very quickly becomes October 2018 and you might decide to follow him a few months later - I would, for a significant step up in my career too.

AntiHop Sat 17-Feb-18 17:06:21

I wouldn't mention it.

OlafLovesAnna Sat 17-Feb-18 17:34:20

If anyone manages teams how would you feel if I wanted to hand my notice in half way through a fixed term contract covering maternity leave? Would you feel deceived or just file it under 'that's life'?

OliviaBenson Sat 17-Feb-18 17:39:15

Could your DH not delay the trip by a couple of months? Could you join him in December?

OlafLovesAnna Sat 17-Feb-18 18:17:06

Can't delay as it's a government job and I'd like the DCs to start school at the beginning of September.

FogCutter Sat 17-Feb-18 22:33:41

If one of my team resigned before the end of their FTC I'd kind of expect that as a FTC is not a permanent role so I'd expect staff to be looking elsewhere.

People leave jobs all the time and can be easily replaced so it's no big deal.

Thistlebelle Sat 17-Feb-18 22:35:04

Take the job.

cwtchesandprosecco Sun 18-Feb-18 09:16:13

Take the job- nothing is guaranteed and foreign postings get pushed back all the time. Also, any chance you can work remotely?

DelurkingAJ Sun 18-Feb-18 09:39:58

Go for it and don’t mention it. All you’ll have if you don’t is regrets and how annoyed would you be if you didn’t go for it and DH’s placement got delayed?

headintheproverbial Sun 18-Feb-18 09:42:20

I wouldn't mention. A man wouldn't think twice about this.

Go for the role then do a great job of it while you're in the post. Then if you have to resign, you resign. Honestly - why would you damage your own career in this way?

ForgivenessIsDivine Sun 18-Feb-18 09:46:49

How old are your children? Could DH go with the children and you follow? Will you work while DH is on his 2 year contract? Is the overseas location within 2 hours flight?

I would take the job, hire a nanny and finish the contract. ..

TellsEveryoneRealFacts Sun 18-Feb-18 09:48:24

He hasn't been offered the posting yet. So on today's info, there is no posting. If it happens, then make a decision based on actual facts.

Fosterdog123 Sun 18-Feb-18 09:55:54

Stop fretting about if, buts or maybes. Go for the interview and don't mention anything about it.

DropZoneOne Sun 18-Feb-18 09:56:20

That's the risk with FTC - that you can't offer good people a firm position so they may leave to go elsewhere before the end. Frustrating but that's life.

I wouldn't mention it at interview. If I had two good candidates and one had told me upfront that they wouldn't be able to complete the contract, I would count that against them.

CantSleepClownsWillEatMe Sun 18-Feb-18 10:04:04

As a manager I always assume that anyone on a temp/fixed term contract already has one foot out the door tbh and I wouldn't blame them. If the company isn't in a position to offer a permanent role then staff will have an eye on other opportunities.

Unless finishing out the contract would be absolutely amazing for my career, I certainly wouldn't stick around to finish it sending my family on ahead!

OlafLovesAnna Sun 18-Feb-18 10:22:11

Thanks for the input- as pps have noted

a) the job is very likely but in my DHs like of work everything can change in an instant and we have seen no paperwork yet just informal conversations

b) I'm borrowing trouble by over thinking it and people leave jobs for various reasons all the time.

I'm currently on a FTC in the same organisation which I'd be leaving if I got the higher grade anyway and when I discussed applying for the new post with my line manager she was sanguine about it.

I'll be polishing up my presentation and taking the job if I get it I think.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: