Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Things School taught you that were wrong?

(175 Posts)
crunchymint Sat 17-Feb-18 14:30:49

I was taught at school, in the equivalent of PHSE, that computers were going to free up lots of our time and mean that most people would work part time in the near future. And that the biggest issue was what we were all going to do with all of that leisure time. We had to write an essay about what we thought we might do with all of our leisure time.

Mumoftwoyoungkids Sat 17-Feb-18 14:33:07

To flush tampons and pads down the loo. grin

Birdsgottafly Sat 17-Feb-18 14:37:18

We were told a lot of incorrect stuff in regards to the Nazi's and Concentration Camps.

Also a lot of lies about Colonialism and the minimising of both.

Also, if course, Women being cut out of history.

Which in effect means that White Men's history was also incorrect.

I'm only 50.

redexpat Sat 17-Feb-18 14:37:24

That the great fire of london wiped out the rats and therefore the plague. According to QI thats not true.
That if you spill red wine you should pour white wine on it. Again - QI.

redexpat Sat 17-Feb-18 14:38:27

birds what were you told that was incorrect about concentration camps?

crunchymint Sat 17-Feb-18 14:39:14

Also that you should brush your teeth every night OR eat an apple. They showed us a little public information film telling us that.

LaundryMountain Sat 17-Feb-18 14:40:39

That poor people were either stupid or just hadn’t tried hard enough.

KatyMac Sat 17-Feb-18 14:47:51

Something about centrafugal (or centrapetal) force (neither of which is spelt right) that my grandad insisted was wrong and spent 3 yrs telling me school was wrong

But tbh I never really understood why or what or whatever...blush

Mumoftwoyoungkids Sat 17-Feb-18 15:13:55

That the great fire of london wiped out the rats and therefore the plague. According to QI thats not true.

I was taught that! It’s not true?!?

butterfly990 Sat 17-Feb-18 15:23:07

I grew up in Australia and we had a lot of American reading books.

The classic being "birds fly south for the winter" hmm

Again in Australia, a Canadian lecturer was asking the class a very simple question and nobody replied so he siad "You lot are as slow as molasses in January!" to which someone quickly piped up "but its Summer in January"

coffeeclouds Sat 17-Feb-18 15:23:17

One of our teachers used to tell us we needed to learn how to do mental arithmetic because we wouldn't be carrying calculators with us all the time. Now most people have a phone glued to their hand permanently.

CauliflowerBalti Sat 17-Feb-18 15:24:40

Never start a sentence with ‘And’ or ‘Because’.

PandaPieForTea Sat 17-Feb-18 15:32:26

I went to an all girls primary and we were told that we needed to practise dictation at school as we’d all be secretaries or teachers. I haven’t kept in touch with anyone from primary school, but I’m fairly confident that didn’t turn out to be true.

Birdsgottafly Sat 17-Feb-18 15:39:23

redexpat that the women and children weren't sent to them, no mention of the gas chambers, there was a minimising of the whole thing.

We did have a couple of Teachers who thought that the perpetrators shouldn't be charged. It was the early 80's and there were a load of top Nazis found and arrested.

Bits of the Empire's history was twisted to paint a rosier picture.

TellsEveryoneRealFacts Sat 17-Feb-18 15:41:38

computers were going to free up lots of our time and mean that most people would work part time in the near future

I do work part time from home, my lack of commute means I can do loads of extra hours of actual work each week, leaving me earning a full time wage whilst working 4 days a week. it is ace!

TheQueenOfWands Sat 17-Feb-18 15:41:51

That alcoholics lie in bed in their own vomit and can only move to reach for the next bottle of whiskey.

Your period stops when you go swimming.

MyGastIsFlabbered Sat 17-Feb-18 16:19:59

I was never taught BODMAS so most maths problems confuse the hell out of me now.

redexpat Sat 17-Feb-18 16:20:51

Fire of London on QI

OutyMcOutface Sat 17-Feb-18 16:24:34

Another one for your period stops in water.

Quadrangle Sat 17-Feb-18 17:07:57

Tear a sanitary towel in half and flush it (80s) resulted in our drain getting blocked

StealthPolarBear Sat 17-Feb-18 17:10:36

My Dcs' school taught them that a circle has one side. Im sure it has infinite sides

HulaMelody Sat 17-Feb-18 17:13:50

I remember being about 7 or 8 and my primary teacher being adamant that the word was spelled ‘ingrediants’. she was not happy when I tried to correct her!

theluckiest Sat 17-Feb-18 17:40:25

That homosexuality was a '20th century disease' hmm

Catholic school. That phrase was the opening to a chapter in a highly questionable textbook we were told to read & has been etched on my brain ever since.

I remember looking up at my classmates in amazement and then disappointment when I realised no-one else thought this was wrong.

Also taught not to question anything we read or were told was true.

Not remotely Catholic anymore grin

Fluffyears Sat 17-Feb-18 18:07:49

We weren’t taught long division as we were told we wouldn’t need it...,my brother found that was untrue at uni when he needed it in the first week.

My period flow does stop in water (it’s something to do with the pressure of water I read) but it doesn’t stop completely it comes back as soon as I get out of bath or pool.

strawberriesaregood Sat 17-Feb-18 18:11:23

Not to thread jack but I believe the period-water thing was discussed in some detail in a previous thread, and consensus was in some women it does and some it very much does not.

I was taught that it was totally fine to stop studying history and geography completely aged about 10 in order to take advanced maths. It really wasn’t.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now