Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Your ideal house?

(113 Posts)
mustbemad17 Thu 15-Feb-18 19:38:12

If money were no object. Imagine you have a plot of land (size is up to you), and you can build any house you want, no limit. What would you build?

Mine would be a 4 bed (double bed rooms) with a nice kitchen with lots of work surfaces. One lounge, one bathroom, maybe ensuite in one of the rooms.

I'd try to minimise the amount of land i took up because i'd then use the rest of it to create top of the range kennels - my dream is to open boarding kennels with EB spaces too. And some fully functioning outhouses for smaller animal rescue.

If i didn't have DC i'd have a caravan on the land haha but given space & money no object, i'll concede a nice house for them

MaisieDuke Thu 15-Feb-18 19:41:53

5 double bedrooms all ensuite.
Large kitchen diner. Utility room
Will keep buying the lottery tickets grin

MaisieDuke Thu 15-Feb-18 19:43:44

And if I did win the lottery I would buy lots of houses to rent.
But they would be excellent quality with very low rents for people in need.
Would love to help women's aid in this way .

mustbemad17 Thu 15-Feb-18 19:48:17

Maisie i always said if I won shed loads on the lottery have to play first i'd make sure my family & friends had houses each then i'd buy to rent at low cost. I was lucky enough to get a council property when i was made homeless; without it i'd have struggled massively!!

amymel2016 Thu 15-Feb-18 19:53:13

I'd have 6 double bedrooms, 4 with ensuite and 1 family bathroom (big enough to have a free standing bath in the middle of the room). A large kitchen with an island and 2 ranges next to each other. 2 large downstairs rooms and a smaller snug. I'd also have a big workshop for DH and an amazing tree house. Not too much to ask for wink

ScreamingValenta Thu 15-Feb-18 19:54:02

I'd want a quirky design with more than one staircase, and lots of different levels, inner passageways in unexpected places. A galleried hall/landing would be a must. And I'd want a swimming pool with a removable roof so it could be indoor or outdoor. Small but private garden space. 4 bedrooms would be fine with 2 ensuite; I'd like a study, 2 receptions and separate kitchen/dining room and cellar converted into a bar. A balcony facing west for evening sunshine. The whole feel of the house to be quite rustic; stone floors, big fireplaces etc. Well, I can dream!

Katurah Thu 15-Feb-18 19:55:48

Period detached or semi detached house with 4 double bedrooms, one ensuite and a beautifully tiled bathroom. Light airy lounge and a big kitchen diner with bi fold doors leading on to a nice terrace with a lawn beyond. I'd love a separate office for my husband who works from home, a utility and a downstairs loo.

PatchworkWomble Thu 15-Feb-18 19:55:58

Basically the same as yours only I'd swap house for a cabin (all on one level) and in place of dogs I'd have a variety of rescued animals.. Pigs, ponies, donkeys, cows, cats...

When can I move in??

Changednamejustincase Thu 15-Feb-18 19:56:29

I think I would just keep the house we have now. It's in a good area, the location suits us, near work and school and though we could definitely get a bigger house we do have enough space. I love it here so I would use the money for something else like getting my DC houses when they are old enough to need them.

misscockerspaniel Thu 15-Feb-18 19:56:31

I would love a master suite with a sofa, a dressing room and a beautiful en suite. And a heated indoor 25m swimming pool and a gym.

mustbemad17 Thu 15-Feb-18 20:02:29

PatchWork eventually i'd extend to pigs et al...let's combine forces!!

Lowdoorinthewal1 Thu 15-Feb-18 20:06:13

I’d have 6 double bedrooms, 4 ensuite. In the master I’d have a massive ensuite with an amazing double shower. Big kitchen with an island and a farmhouse table. Big entrance hallway ‘room’. Boot room. Floor to ceiling windows in most spaces. Studies for DH and I. Outside I’d have a MUGA and a woodland area with dens and mountain bike track for DS and a space for some small animals for me.

MaisieDuke Thu 15-Feb-18 20:06:43

That would be my dream.
To help people out like that would be amazing.
Long tenancy and good quality houses. In great locations.

MayhemandMadness01 Thu 15-Feb-18 20:06:47

Country cottage but not a thatch. 4 Beds, good size but not massive. Small room upstairs that could be converted to a laundry room. Good size kitchen with orangery attached. Posh lounge with french doors into the garden. Boot room with an area to wash the dog down. Study to run my incrediably succesful farming business from. Long driveway with trees that meet in the middle.

GardenGeek Thu 15-Feb-18 20:09:03

Detached period house on acres of land with an orangery and lovely big windows

GardenGeek Thu 15-Feb-18 20:09:38

Oh shit I have to build it myself?!

Minestheoneinthegreen Thu 15-Feb-18 20:10:03

I dream about this a lot.

Stone cottage, thick walls. Two double bedrooms, a beautiful bathroom with a window with a view from the bath. A cosy living room with a fire place. A freestanding kitchen with an aga and a big wooden table. Double doors on parliament hinges leading to a courtyard terrace and then onto a big garden with trees and room for a veg patch and lots of flowers.

Earslaps Thu 15-Feb-18 20:12:05

Four double bedrooms, two ensuite, plus a small study upstairs, then an open plan kitchen diner with a seating area, a separate snug lounge, playroom and a giant utility room with extractor fan, powerful fan and washing lines to line dry when it's inevitably raining! All nicely insulated with underfloor heating throughout and log burner in the snug lounge.

A detached double garage to store all our general rubbish, driveway for a couple of cars and a fairly flat garden that's nice and easy to maintain with trees for shade. A nice covered seating area outside.

A nice street with no arsehole next door trying to knock down the lovely house and build bloody flats angry

Gazelda Thu 15-Feb-18 20:13:35

Period Detached. Parking spaces for 2 cars. Downstairs cloakroom and study. At least 2 Reception rooms (so MIL can visit and sleep in one). 3 double bedrooms, 1 en suite, 1 family bathroom. Lovely spacious and welcoming hallway with a tiled floor.
Quiet road, but with friendly neighbours. Trees. Medium sized garden without pond.
Bay windows where I could build a window seat.
Large attic.
Utility room.

Earslaps Thu 15-Feb-18 20:13:52

And ensuite would be wetroom style. Family bathroom with walk in shower and a Japanese style bath.

NextInLine Thu 15-Feb-18 20:14:06

5 double bedrooms, master with ensuite
Big kitchen with an island
Dining room
Good size living room
Loads of storage cupboards
Big bathroom with jacuzzi bath
Good size garden
Double garage
Detached, with a long private drive.

mustbemad17 Thu 15-Feb-18 20:25:02

GardenGeek no i'll allow you a team of builders & architects etc 😂 You just have to design it.

Maisie absolutely spot on. I'd have some for military vets too, grouped or individual depending on need. Money no option, if ex soldiers needed disability adaptation, they got it. No banning of pets, just a mutual respect.

drofrub Thu 15-Feb-18 20:27:07

If money were no problem,

I'd like a barn conversion or Georgian house. There are some great Tudor houses where I live with real character (think wonky door frames, the lot), but not sure even as a millionaire I'd be brave enough to take one on, even though they are stunning.

zzzzz Thu 15-Feb-18 20:31:17

7 double bedrooms all with dressing rooms and ensuing bathrooms. A huge eat in kitchen. Lots and lots of light and a big outside area with a bbq and table and a heated pool....

In RL if the shower could stop leaking it would helpgrin

DelphiniumBlue Thu 15-Feb-18 20:41:45

6 decent size bedrooms, utility room, big kitchen diner, annexe on ground floor with bedroom, shower room, kitchenette and living room for my mum; would also like art/ sewing studio, a library, a swimming pool, and a dressing room. Maybe a games room. Big entrance hall, and a cloakroom. And an orangery. I'd want working fireplaces and a good sized garden with comfy seating, some shade, and bbq area. And a greenhouse.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now