Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

What self help books have you read that actually helped?

(26 Posts)
Efferlunt Thu 15-Feb-18 16:17:10

For me it was Marie Kondo. Changed the way I think about stuff. Not followed the whole thing but house is a lot less cluttered and easy to keep clean.

I’d love to know of any others that actually changed peoples lives. I’ve heard the Paul mackenna weight loss one is recommended on here and I’d thought I’d try that for my biscuit habit.

andalittlebitofpixiedust Thu 15-Feb-18 16:40:21

Loved Marie Kondo!

Also really rate 'Reinventing Your Life' which is a shit title but an amazing book.

smurfy2015 Sat 17-Feb-18 19:14:57

Defeat Depression: 52 Brilliant Ideas for Healing a Troubled Mind - 52 Brilliant Ideas by Dr Sabrina Dosani

Short chapters with tips and explanations of what could be happening and what and how to turn it around in easy to understand language, covers all sorts of things which are all safe to try

Also when she was a medical student she experienced mental ill health herself which inspired her to work in psychiatry so has seen both sides of the desk

FaithEverPresent Sat 17-Feb-18 19:27:45

Marie Kondo was the first one that sprang to mind. Also ‘Brain over binge’ by Kathryn Hansen (although I think I need to re-read it as old habits are creeping back in). I just finished ‘The No Spend Year’ which isn’t strictly self-help but was enlightening and had changed my spending habits.

Grumpbum Sat 17-Feb-18 19:29:22

The life changing magic of not giving a fuck

Vitalogy Sat 17-Feb-18 19:31:22

Eckhart Tolle - The Power of Now

Pinkyponkcustard Sat 17-Feb-18 21:34:24

I second brain over binge - fabulous book

MyBrilliantDisguise Sat 17-Feb-18 21:40:18

Jason Vale Kick the Drink Easily. I stopped drinking without noticing!

ferriswheel Sat 17-Feb-18 21:58:06

The Secret

Made me much more positive and accepting.

RedPandaMama Sat 17-Feb-18 21:59:40

Feel The Fear and Do It Anyway. Great for anyone who wants to personify their anxiety or worries. Now when I feel anxious and feel it taking a hold of me I think about how The Fear is not bigger than me, it is a small annoying thing that makes me think and feel bad things but it is not bigger than me and it cannot control me.

ohbitchplease Sat 17-Feb-18 22:04:00

The Worry Trick.

Screaminginsideme Sat 17-Feb-18 22:04:52

After the affair

welshmist Sat 17-Feb-18 22:05:01

Feel the Fear no 1. The Road less travelled 2nd choice. Both helped me so much at different times in my life.

LorelaiVictoriaGilmore Sat 17-Feb-18 22:05:43

Is it a bad sign that I feel like I need all of these books?!

NewYearNiki Sat 17-Feb-18 22:10:16

The Places That Scare You: A Guide to Fearlessness in Difficult Times

by Pema Chödrön

Theconifers25 Sat 17-Feb-18 22:12:23

Atkins diet 18 years ago when low carbing was new and not trusted by many people I knew. Low carbing and then an extension of this- ketosis has changed my health for the better.

Marie kondo. My home is a much better place as a result of following her advice.

NewYearNiki Sat 17-Feb-18 22:12:33

Feel like posting this on many a thread.

😂

ohbitchplease Sat 17-Feb-18 22:13:51

Love that, @NewYearNiki

Graphista Sat 17-Feb-18 22:21:37

Came on thread to say "feel the fear and do it anyway"

I have several anxiety conditions and I found this really helpful in a non-patronising way.

Not doing well at all at the moment so should read it again.

Andromeida29 Mon 19-Feb-18 00:52:26

Loved the Marie Kondo book and also "CBT will change your life" by Corinne Sweet

ShovingLeopard Mon 19-Feb-18 00:56:22

Niki great shout, a lot of wisdom in Pema Chodron's work. Also agree re Tolle.

'Self-help for your nerves' by Clare Weekes is now quite old, but still completely on the money.

hellokittymania Mon 19-Feb-18 02:00:42

I'm reading When at the moment, Im a nightowl and it talks about when you should do tasks depending on what chronotype you are.

Leilaniiii Mon 19-Feb-18 02:03:57

Be Your Own Life Coach.
What to Say when you Talk to Your Self (sic)

I am about to start Miracle Morning, apparently it's life changing. Has anyone read it?

TowerOfJoy Mon 19-Feb-18 07:26:21

Any recommendations for a good book for dealing with a separation (one that has been forced upon me that I don't want)?

Decemberqueen Mon 19-Feb-18 07:53:17

Not (I think) a book about separation but a few years ago Women who love too much opened my eyes and set me on a new path.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: