Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Half term

(56 Posts)
DavetheCat2001 Thu 15-Feb-18 15:30:12

How is yours going?

I'm fed up with it already and looking forward to Monday grin

Crunchymum Thu 15-Feb-18 15:35:39

I'm so over it.

Mine have been shipped off to Granny's for the day as I needed a break (to be fair I've got a 4 week old baby too and it's been pretty boring for the older 2 as we've not done much!!)

I was so looking forward to not doing the school run, but not doing the school run so isn't worth having them at home all week grin

I'll be more organised for the Easter holidays!!! I'll have plenty planned to tire them out and stop the bloody arguing.

MrsJonesAndMe Thu 15-Feb-18 15:43:51

Been pretty good, but I will be pleased to wave everyone off to their normal routine on Monday grin

ginteresting Thu 15-Feb-18 15:44:51

Sorry to brag but really well. We've had a few days out that weren't totally hell and they're currently playing whilst I drink coffee and ignore them.
Full disclosure, October half term had had me in tears.

DavetheCat2001 Thu 15-Feb-18 15:45:07

Oh to be able to ship mine off to a grandparents for a day! Unfortunately OH's parents l've over 3 hours away and my mother is too old and frail.

My two have just bickered, screeched and argued through the week so far. The weather has been shite on the whole too so anything indoorsy has been packed and horrible.

Tried to get them to sit down a watch a film this afternoon having been out all morning, and they are incapable of sitting still for more than about 3 minutes at a time, preferring to roll about on top of each other/play fighting which ultimately leads to one hurting the other and then floods of tears.

Just want to crawl under my duvet...

KateGrey Thu 15-Feb-18 15:46:40

I’m exhausted. Two are autistic though one is only allowed in school for three hours a day. But still it’s a bit of a break. Its been intense and it can be quite hard taking the three kids out together so we’ve not done a lot.

DavetheCat2001 Thu 15-Feb-18 15:46:53

..made OH take the day off tomorrow so he can bloody share the 'fun'!

CakeNinja Thu 15-Feb-18 15:48:47

I’ve been laid up with a bad back and fortunately our lovely family and friends have rallied round and taken the dc out to make sure they aren’t all stuck in. We are very lucky, lots of people like moving away from their ‘hometown’ and see staying there as unadventurous etc, and sometimes i agree and I can see the other side too. But weeks like this make me ever so grateful we are dull and unadventurous and have jobs we can do based where we are, our families have been amazing.
I feel crap for not being able to do anything nice with them but I’m glad they’ve been out and about and done some nice things.

Rosiie Thu 15-Feb-18 15:51:39

Wow, I thought I was the only one. To be fair we haven't done much either, like Crunchymum I'll be more organised around Easter and will do more things with them.

Just out of interest ginteresting why were you in tears? nosey

NotEnoughCushions Thu 15-Feb-18 15:55:01

This half term is my least favourite school holiday. I've been working as normal and DC have been at holiday club.

We don't have enough holidays to cover all of the school holidays and taking a week in February seems like such a waste. The weather's not great, we've only just got past Christmas and the evenings are still dark.

Have done a few things in the evening - cinema and pub teas but I'll happily sit this one out and wait for Easter.

ginteresting Thu 15-Feb-18 16:15:37

Rosiie- oh nothing serious, they just tested me to the edge. All thoughtful 'fun-filled' planned events, I had put time into making it a great week, were met with 'this is boring' 'hate this' I want to go home' 'can I not just have my ipad' usual fighting and squabbling over every little thing.

WitchesHatRim Thu 15-Feb-18 16:16:13

Not started yet.....

tomhazard Thu 15-Feb-18 16:18:45

I enjoyed it till approximately now. Dc have started whining and fighting and I've run out of money to entertain them!

Pengweng Thu 15-Feb-18 16:26:27

One of mine has chicken pox and the other has an ear infection (and is bound to get the pox when we all head back to school and then i'll have to take a week off and spend another week confined to the house).

I'm looking forward to tomorrow night as i'm going out to drink lots of wine! grin

Lavenderdays Thu 15-Feb-18 16:53:21

Oh, thought it was just me...usually I don't mind the holidays - although, I find the Summer holidays can be a bit long. I have a pre-teen and pre-schooler so it is sometimes difficult to find activities to suit them both, although I seemed to have escaped the bickering talked about because of the age gap (always pro's and cons). The weather has been rubbish, the dc's went down individually with a heavy cold and a hacking cough - good enough reason to lie low...main reason though is that I'm heavily pregnant and have been struggling big time getting out and about...so this has not been the best and with no lovely family or friends to provide a few hours entertainment i.e get them out of the house, although older dc did go and play with a friend one afternoon. Younger dc has so much energy...looking forward to them going back to pre-school next week just to burn some of it off x

DavetheCat2001 Thu 15-Feb-18 16:55:43

My DS to be fair is pretty easy going. Can entertain himself to some extent and is happy to do most things.

My DD on the other hand is volatile and prone to tantrums and can be extremely defiant and difficult.

She also has one volume...LOUD. The shrieking and squawking really drills into my cranium.

DrMadelineMaxwell Thu 15-Feb-18 18:50:05

We're enjoying it here. *

Mon - DD1 and I did a clubbercise class, then had a chilling out day
Tues - Breakfast out, then cinema tickets (cheaper now our Vue does all tickets at £5 each AND still does meerkat codes.
Wed - Dentists for the DDs. Then to a branch of Kaspa's as DD1 wanted to treat me for my birthday
Today - Quiet morning, then met a friend for a cuppa at the local hotel where the DC chatted with her DC and went in the gardens if they wanted. My birthday so we've had kids party food type tea and a friend or two are coming round later for a drink.
Tomorrow - I've got an exercise class, then taking DD2 ice skating. Then we are at the cheap local (not Vue) cinema.
Weekend - will just chill out.

*DDs are 13 and 17 and far lower maintenance than ever before, although they do still bicker!

DavetheCat2001 Thu 15-Feb-18 19:15:55

Yeah, mine are 4 and 7 so a bit of a handful!

We've had some decent bits too. Im just weary of all the arguing and nouse!

GetTheGoodLookingGuy Thu 15-Feb-18 19:27:52

I'm a TA so I've been loving it, and sad it's almost over!

(I actually love my job, but both halfs of last term were so long it's actually really nice to get a break before we're all on our knees really really desparate for it).

LBOCS2 Thu 15-Feb-18 20:12:46

A complete washout. DH and I have both had tonsillitis so we've not been up to ANYTHING - I literally laid in bed and cried on Monday morning when I realised I had to look after both DDs feeling as horrendous as I did.

So. Monday was hell, made worse by DD2 developing an earache in the afternoon. Tuesday was better because my Dad came and collected DD1 and whisked her off for a couple of days at the seaside with Grandma and Granddad (but not DD2 because she wasn't well). Yesterday was ok; DD2 was mostly recovered but wanted to be on me the whole time - either having 'duddles' or 'buh'. Today has been tiresome, I'm better but not 100%, DD2 is better but liked having my full attention and an all-areas access pass to milk and cuddles so has been milking that all day. DD1 is back and loud, and I STILL have a full day to fill with them which I suppose should involve leaving the house to do something more interesting than go to the supermarket. Ho hum.

Still, back to normal on Monday!

Lavenderdays Thu 15-Feb-18 20:20:14

LB...another one who hasn't been feeling too good this half term...I used the two dds (separate illnesses) as a complete excuse to hide behind and lie low as currently heavily pregnant with no nice family to alleviate the situation. DH has taken a couple of half days leave (today and tomorrow) and we have gone out which has helped enormously but we are trying to save as much of dh's leave as possible for when baby comes along, feel like I have scraped through these holidays but fortunately the dds have seemed glad of the rest x

kath6144 Thu 15-Feb-18 20:30:03

WitchesHatRim - same here, we in NW, think we in a minority having HT next week. Last school year for us, DD is in second year of 6th form, DS at uni, so no more half terms after this year.

The days of primary aged kids are a distant haze for us, but for those struggling, the years do pass so quick, try and enjoy, even if they are arguing (and believe me, they can still argue at 18 & 20!!!)

Juanbablo Thu 15-Feb-18 20:30:39

It's been pretty good. Dh is away so that's been a bit lonely in the evenings. Kids have been super busy with seeing friends, sleepovers, we had a day out. The only downfall has been ds1's attitude and rudeness. That's been quite upsetting.

LBOCS2 Thu 15-Feb-18 20:41:23

DSS is on half term next week too (north Midlands). It seems to be a bit of a north/south split this year. And of course, it's made our childcare arrangements super easy 🙄

CPtart Thu 15-Feb-18 20:44:32

We were lucky enough to escape to Lanzarote for a week in the sun, fly back tomorrow to a pile of homework. It's been lovely.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: