Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Two siblings in same year but not twins

(57 Posts)
Sophisticatedsarcasm Wed 14-Feb-18 21:49:54

When I was at school I had 2 sisters in my year who had different birthdays. My son has the same in his. One was born in September and another in July. I just spoke to my cousin who said her DD had the same in her class. I’m wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

PaperdollCartoon Wed 14-Feb-18 21:51:59

Really not that uncommon. My best friends kids are 11 months apart, but won’t be in the same school year due to where their birthdays fall. If one was born 2 weeks later they would be.

MsAwesomeDragon Wed 14-Feb-18 21:53:09

It's not that unusual. We get a family like this ever few years at my secondary school.

I once had a family where I taught 3 siblings in the same year group, although they were all half siblings rather than full siblings, and dad had multiple other children in the school as well.

whiteroseredrose Wed 14-Feb-18 21:55:52

One of my colleagues had daughters born in September and the following August. I was amazed she let her DH near her 3 months after the birth of her first!

She called them Irish twins but I think that's a no-no nowadays.

TinklyLittleLaugh Wed 14-Feb-18 21:56:10

Yes my DS had siblings in his class in primary school and also different siblings in his class in high school.

However in high school the kids were from an African country and later (when the lad was being scouted for a football team) it turned out he was actually a year older.

BobbinThreadbare123 Wed 14-Feb-18 21:56:14

Yes, pair of sisters in my year at school. Very different appearance but very similar personalities. One born end of Sept and one born the following end of July/beginning of August.

storynanny Wed 14-Feb-18 21:58:25

I once taught sisters born 9 months apart!

brizzledrizzle Wed 14-Feb-18 21:58:43

What would be really unusual would be twins in different year groups - there were a pair at my DCs old school.

Chienrouge Wed 14-Feb-18 22:01:37

Yes, not all that unusual I don’t think. We had a brother and sister, one born in September and one the following August so same school year.

formerbabe Wed 14-Feb-18 22:02:30

Yes I know someone who had two siblings in the same school year...I don't think it's especially unusual

LinoleumBlownapart Wed 14-Feb-18 22:03:57

How was that? One before midnight on the 29th of August and one after on September 1st? You'd think they could bend the rules a bit. My son has twins in different years at school but that's because we're abroad and one failed the year.
In the uk when they were at primary school there were twins and a younger sibling all in the same year. 10 months between the three of them!

Nifflerbowtruckle Wed 14-Feb-18 22:04:40

I have a friend who was in the same year as her older brother. What's weirder is there are only 7 months between them. She was conceived when he was 2 months old and was born prematurely at 5 months gestation.

KermitsLoveChild Wed 14-Feb-18 22:05:13

Not the same school year but the same year. Girl born January and boy November.

TheNecroscope Wed 14-Feb-18 22:07:12

There's 10 months between me and my sibling, we were different school years but same calendar year. Many many people thought we were twins when we were younger.

holycityzoo Wed 14-Feb-18 22:08:47

My boys missed out being the same year my 6 weeks. One on September 8 and one on October 13 a year later.

fulltimeworkingmotherof4 Wed 14-Feb-18 22:09:01

My middle 2 are 11 months apart. Not the same school year as June and may but would have been if were born in September and August. They really are the best of friends. 9&8 now.

Sophisticatedsarcasm Wed 14-Feb-18 22:11:55

My DS has been with them since nursery and I remember saying to him one time something about the twins. He said no mummy they are not twins. I thought he was getting confused until I later spoke with thier Mum and she was telling me and another Mum that they were born 9 months apart but only because the youngest one was born 8 weeks prematurely.
I’ve no2 been informed the oldest one is the DS gf.... I’m quite shocked as even though he’s close with both him and the younger one were inseparable and the older one is a bit more protective.

Awwlookatmybabyspider Wed 14-Feb-18 22:13:44

What about the twins in separate years.
One born 31.8. and the other born 1.9

Sophisticatedsarcasm Wed 14-Feb-18 22:15:31

My little brother is only 9 months older than my DS. It was a bit confusing for them when they were younger but they both understand. They get on very well. Although when we go out sometimes people think they are brothers and that my DS is the oldest because he is soo much taller than my lil bro. My lil bro always says it’s embarrassing when your nephew is taller than you 😂

Justgivemesomepeace Wed 14-Feb-18 22:15:45

My ds has a sister and brother in his year group. Little girl in his class, her brother in the other reception class.

umizoomi Wed 14-Feb-18 22:15:46

DS1 has that in his class

One born sept, the other August.

They have different Fathers too

MikeUniformMike Wed 14-Feb-18 22:19:10

3 kids under 1!

Sprinklestar Wed 14-Feb-18 22:20:57

We had this at high school. My friend also had two born within the same year.

dustarr73 Wed 14-Feb-18 22:22:35

Ye my son has that.Theres 11 months between them.But one is going to be held back.He cant keep up with the work.And hes more emotionally immature.

Its going to be hard as they where always together.

MikeUniformMike Wed 14-Feb-18 22:23:34

Oh yes, I remember the 'twins' at school. They looked almost identical, and could have passed for identical twins. Same year, same class, same dad, different mums.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now