Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Valentine’s Day, yay or nay?

(118 Posts)
Emboo19 Wed 14-Feb-18 09:54:50

Just a nosey really as to everyone’s plans. Are you a full on celebrate the day or a Valentine’s is made up rubbish and don’t even do a card!

Not a massive V day fan myself but don’t see the harm in a little romance. Always did something with the ex but not one for expensive gifts etc.
Going out for brunch with two of my favourite people (mum and my dd) but only because we are both home and not busy. Newish bf is coming round tonight, once dd is in bed and he’s cooking. Got a him nice bottle of wine but that’s it. I don’t do cards but wonder if I should do something more......but what I’ve no idea what!

howthelightgetsin Wed 14-Feb-18 09:57:07

Nay. Can’t think of anything cheesier really although I did buy a card (don’t expect one in return) because I found one that amused me a lot (and what other reason do you need?).

Pfftkids Wed 14-Feb-18 09:57:49

Stick a bow on your head

We get each other a card and that's it

strawberrysparkle Wed 14-Feb-18 09:58:08

I secretly love it... blush

I don't want to go for an expensive meal or anything but a card and a rose is lovely.

iVampire Wed 14-Feb-18 10:00:26

I’m messily separated and so will not be celebrating (even though I would love a fuss to be made had things been different)

But all is not lost, Mr Ocado should be bringing me daffodils later today

SaskaTchewan Wed 14-Feb-18 10:01:19

I don't do Valentine's at all, unless we use it as an excuse to go away for a week on a beach!

I think a bottle of wine for your new bf is plenty, not too much to scare hiim but a little something.

LoniceraJaponica Wed 14-Feb-18 10:01:51

No. DH is a lovely husband - I couldn't wish for better, but he doesn't do Valentine's Day. He made that pretty clear early on in our relationship that he wouldn't.

MrsJayy Wed 14-Feb-18 10:02:09

Nay we used to in our courtingrin days but not anymore. I have nothing against it personally and if couples want to buy each other fluffy teddies and go out for dinner then crack on,who am I to piss on their chips

dementedpixie Wed 14-Feb-18 10:02:47

We gave each other a card and some sweets/ chocolate. Not spent much more than £5

BikeRunSki Wed 14-Feb-18 10:02:56

We don’t do it. Wedding anniversary soon though.

CakeForBreakfast Wed 14-Feb-18 10:03:37

Nay.

It’s for teens

DollyMcDolly Wed 14-Feb-18 10:04:50

I bought the M & S dine for 2 valentine offer so I'm cooking that tonight with some wine. Also a card but that's it.

nobutreally Wed 14-Feb-18 10:05:15

Personally, I think any excuse to pause and focus on people you love is good. Dh did cards and presents this morning (nothing huge) and will do a nice meal this eve with the kids. We've been together 25 years, but a little reminder we like each other is still good.

I also get the kids a card with a couple of Hersey's kisses - although I know lots of people massively don't approve of that!

nobutreally Wed 14-Feb-18 10:06:05

Otoh, Dh's mum was a florist so he'd never buy flowers on V Day - although I often get them a day or two after!

TheArtOfNoise Wed 14-Feb-18 10:07:01

Nay, load of bollocks!

LoniceraJaponica Wed 14-Feb-18 10:07:21

It's the Hershey I don't approve of grin
It tastes like vomit

purplelass Wed 14-Feb-18 10:08:20

I gave DP a card and sent him a quick message on WhatsApp.

He replied with a cartoon of people throwing up...

He's not a romantic chap when it comes to cards and flowers but he makes me tea and cake after work every Friday which counts for lots more in my opinion smile

Situp Wed 14-Feb-18 10:09:14

Nay but we both agree. Problems arise when you are not in sync.
We don't do gifts for birthdays or Christmas either.

dementedpixie Wed 14-Feb-18 10:10:37

This is the romantic card I got dh. I hate the soppy vomit inducing ones

BarbaraofSevillle Wed 14-Feb-18 10:11:55

Nay. I'm anti consumerist and hate stuff/tat/packaging, waste etc so it would be damn hypocritical of me to expect cards, out of season, shipped from the otherside of the world, flowers or any of the disposable valentines crap.

I also hate the constant cycle of 'spend money on this event' in the supermarkets. A lot of the people buying cards and presents will be doing so because they feel obliged to, not because they want to. And if that's the sentiment behind it, why bother?

If you're secure in your relationship day to day, treat each other well and your actions etc demonstrate that you love that person, presents and cards are neither here nor there and if you set the strength of your relationship by what your partner buys you when big buisness tells them to, you have bigger problems.

I'm happy with no presents for adults for any event, except perhaps a token bottle of wine or box of chocs for Christmas and Birthdays. I want to choose my own things and shop around to get the best price.

PigletWasPoohsFriend Wed 14-Feb-18 10:12:41

We give each other a card, that's it.

I'm more than happy with that.

HeelsHurt Wed 14-Feb-18 10:17:23

Yeah I celebrate it. I got some lovely flowers and a nice bar of chocolate but he wrote inside the card “I love you more now than I ever have “
He doesn’t do romance really so I was touched at that .

FaintlyBaffled Wed 14-Feb-18 10:19:21

Not at all, it seems so over hyped these days <scowls>

demirose87 Wed 14-Feb-18 10:20:21

We celebrate it but don't go mad. It's just another day really, but there's no reason why we both can't make the effort to buy each other a card and small present. We would have liked to go out for a meal but I'm dieting and our youngest is 5 months, so we're having steak watching a film tonight.

lastnamefirstfirstnamelast Wed 14-Feb-18 10:21:24

I love it when i get stuff, hate it if i dont xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now