Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Anyone trained as a breastfeeding counsellor/supporter?

(11 Posts)
FFSenoughalready Tue 13-Feb-18 15:20:17

If so, could you say what training you did and with which organisation?

I think it's something I would really like to do, but looking into it there seem to be a lot of options, and with each different option a lot of difference in costs etc.

Would you recommend it?

StylishMummy Tue 13-Feb-18 15:38:17

Get in touch with La Leche League smile

FFSenoughalready Tue 13-Feb-18 15:42:45

Thanks StylishMummy, I have emailed them!

Also emailed Breastfeeding Network and one local to where I live.

NCT seem to offer a foundation degree. Anyone done this?

RockCrushesLizard Tue 13-Feb-18 15:49:34

NCT is very expensive!
The ABM (Association of Breastfeedig Mothers) is another to consider: it's online & distance learning, so not reliant on having existing supporters near you in the way the LLL/BfN

The quality of training is similar with all, so it depends how you want to learn and where you are.

Peer support/mother support courses are a great place to start, and give you a feel for whether that type of course is working for you.

FFSenoughalready Tue 13-Feb-18 15:56:40

Rock yes I contacted ABM as well (clearly contacted so many I have forgotten who I have emailed!). I thought their online stuff looked good and reasonably priced too.

Are peer support/mother support courses the same as the ones I have seen and asked about? Or are they more going into existing groups and helping out?

Troels Tue 13-Feb-18 15:56:47

I trained as a La Leche League leader many moons ago. Loved it, the training took as long as you wanted it to.

FFSenoughalready Tue 13-Feb-18 16:59:34

Troels do you have to pay to train with LLL?

RockCrushesLizard Tue 13-Feb-18 19:53:50

This image is quite handy to tell what the various courses/titles mean, because there's such a variation...

susiegrapevine Tue 13-Feb-18 19:56:09

I am a volunteer breastfeeding peer supporter. I trained with the nhs and now volunteer for them but i assume you don't really mean that.

Troels Tue 13-Feb-18 21:20:19

I didn't pay, I was a member for years before training.
The other LLL leader I worked with was also an International board certified breast feeding consulatant. I think she had paid for that, she would do private consulations seperate to being a LLL Leader.

MaybeDoctor Tue 13-Feb-18 22:39:02

Look carefully at what the infrastructure is in your local area - pm me for further thoughts if you like.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now