Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Can we boycott David Walliams

(436 Posts)
Mookatron Tue 23-Jan-18 23:52:55

For hosting this misogynist shit show? amp.ft.com/content/075d679e-0033-11e8-9650-9c0ad2d7c5b5?__twitter_impression=true

He even raffled off characters in his next book to the slithery-handed fuckers. Never buying his books again.

LittleBearPad Tue 23-Jan-18 23:54:06

Tempting - the whole story is horrifying.

DriggleDraggle Tue 23-Jan-18 23:55:16

it is behind a paywall. what's the story?

BertrandRussell Tue 23-Jan-18 23:56:04

Yes. Easy for me-I have no children the right age for his books!

64BooLane Tue 23-Jan-18 23:57:58

I already don’t much like what I perceive to be his unfunny, classist, racist, disablist books, so yes I certainly can ... What’s he actually done, though (if the above’s paywalled)?

Jozxyqk Tue 23-Jan-18 23:59:03

Could you post details of the story please OP?

antimatter Wed 24-Jan-18 00:00:00

Is that the charity where hostesses were groped?

Viviennemary Wed 24-Jan-18 00:00:25

I just heard a bit about this a few minutes ago on Sky News. Some sleazy party for men only and over 100 'hostesses' a lot of them young students. And stories of groping. Politicians there too apparently.

Mookatron Wed 24-Jan-18 00:00:49

Arg I can't work out how to post without the paywall (presumably deliberately!) It'll have to be this DM link, sorry www.google.co.uk/amp/www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5304655/amp/Hostesses-flashed-groped-Dorchester-gala.html#ampshare=http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5304655/Hostesses-flashed-groped-Dorchester-gala.html

antimatter Wed 24-Jan-18 00:02:26

Yes, it was discussed today on Newsnight

KenForPM Wed 24-Jan-18 00:03:01

It’s also in Feminism Chat. Sounds fucking horrific.
Not much of a fan of David Walliams anyway.

southboundagain Wed 24-Jan-18 00:03:04

"I already don’t much like what I perceive to be his unfunny, classist, racist, disablist books"

Can you expand on that? I haven't read any of his books myself, have only seen one adaptation, so I'm completely ignorant about what's in them.

Mookatron Wed 24-Jan-18 00:03:33

I'm so angry this stuff still goes on.

MontyPythonsFlyingFuck Wed 24-Jan-18 00:04:18

If you google

Men Only: Inside the charity fundraiser where hostesses are put on show

it will take you straight to the article. And make you want to stab people.

DriggleDraggle Wed 24-Jan-18 00:06:37

urgh.
revolting.

scummy bastard.

Battleax Wed 24-Jan-18 00:08:29

Oh that's grim sad

thegreatbeyond Wed 24-Jan-18 00:23:55

Never liked him. I'm not woo, but he sets me off.

BewitchedBotheredandBewildered Wed 24-Jan-18 00:54:04

Unfuckingbelievable, as OP says, that this shit still happens.

With a woman facilitating it.

We should all vocally support mainstream media who are exposing it.

MLMsuperfan Wed 24-Jan-18 00:55:03

Repulsive.

gluteustothemaximus Wed 24-Jan-18 00:55:03

It sounds so backwards!

God. Creepy pervy men, with money, and female only hostesses who had to be ‘tall, thin and pretty’.

And signing the non disclosure agreement beforehand (wonder what it said...)

How are we no further forward in 2018?!?!

HelenaDove Wed 24-Jan-18 00:57:05

And were made to hand over their phones. Many were students.

Rich men taking economic advantage of young women.

Ugh I feel sick.

LovelyJubly111 Wed 24-Jan-18 01:17:38

"Rich men taking economic advantage of young women."

Um, they didn't exactly have a gun put to their head? I find your implication that we are weak, unthinking victims incapable of making our own decisions more insulting than the article.

TattyCat Wed 24-Jan-18 01:23:47

Can we boycott David Walliams for hosting this misogynist shit show?

No.

Koala72 Wed 24-Jan-18 01:38:17

My daughter (9) and I are very selective with his books. She quickly pointed out some of the unpleasant (and pretty uninventive) threads in some of the books - particularly the business about mocking/despising people (including children) for being 'fat', the derision of the elderly, and the pretty weird and warped incarnations of (often disappearing or otherwise incapable) mothers. I think he got a better editor in the later books because a lot of that rubbish has gone - 'Bad Dad' (recent) is far better (apart from the terrible 'mum' who is drawn to leave her son for the money offered by a bullying gangster) (but she does achieve self-knowledge and redemption in the end ...).

'Ratburger' was so unpleasant we ditched it by mutual consent after about a chapter and a half. 'Billionaire Boy' is v. bad on the 'fat' front, and quite grotesque and a pretty daft story (sorry, David). 'Gangsta Granny' isn't bad but there's a heck of a lot of the physical foulness of the elderly theme in there. There's a lot about disgusting food, as there is in I think B Boy with the dinner lady.

'Bad Dad' is the best. We read it first. Everything after that (i.e., previous to it) has been patchy or downright unpleasant. Oh and there's also a crazy inverted snobbery thing going on, too - anybody 'posh' is ripped to shreds, and there's also a good bit of anti-educational rubbish (all the teachers are monsters) (and similar monsters reappear time and again) (e.g., the headmasters are always ancient and very thin).

I concluded that:
David may have gone to a posh school and wished he'd been in a state school.
And/or at some point he was in a state school and felt different there, as well.
The school food somewhere was horrendous.
The headmaster was ancient and very thin.
David's grandma liked cabbage and lived in a bungalow.
Someone in his life died and he feels that children should confront and accept death and this is a recurring theme (including hamsters).
Either his mum or some other woman or women in his life really fxxked him up.

That's what I would suspect, from what I've read. Of course may be completely wrong. ...

AssassinatedBeauty Wed 24-Jan-18 01:40:44

It's easy for me to boycott him as I've never liked any of the books for the reasons outlined above. Now I'm definitely not going to be buying any.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now