Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Ursula Le Guin has died

(18 Posts)
Buxbaum Tue 23-Jan-18 23:33:04

Sad to hear this. I’ve always loved her writing.

scaryteacher Tue 23-Jan-18 23:36:49

I have loved her writing too....that is very sad.

LittleFeileFooFoo Tue 23-Jan-18 23:45:26

Oh no! I saw her recently, so sad she is gone! She is/was so inspiring!

GetDownDog Tue 23-Jan-18 23:49:01

This is so sad.
Will reread the Earthsea books I think.

Degustibusnonestdisputandem1 Wed 24-Jan-18 00:07:44

😢

SleightOfMind Wed 24-Jan-18 00:08:32

Oh no!
Such a loss. That’s very sad.

AssassinatedBeauty Wed 24-Jan-18 00:10:50

This makes me sad. I loved her books so much as a child, I must find time to re read them.

Battleax Wed 24-Jan-18 00:11:37

Oh gosh that takes me back.

A long, successful life then. Hopefully a very happy one too.

I loved the Earthsea books.

ObscuredbyFog Wed 24-Jan-18 00:31:16

Amazing lady, incredibly creative. She'll be forever known for Earthsea, I've read and re-read many of her books, enjoying each one.

nooka Wed 24-Jan-18 01:08:56

Oh that's sad. I'm actually currently reading one of her books. Love both her science fiction and her children's books. Still she had a long and successful life so that's something to celebrate too.

RainOnATinRoof Wed 24-Jan-18 01:10:58

genuinely gutted about this.

nocoolnamesleft Wed 24-Jan-18 01:51:47

Only in silence the word
Only in dark the light
Only in dying life
Bright the hawk's flight
On the empty sky

Pemba Wed 24-Jan-18 02:29:29

Oops sorry OP I started an identically titled thread under 'What we're reading'. Should have done a search first, I guess.

Probably my favourite writer. She'll be missed . sad

SavvyBlancBlonde Wed 24-Jan-18 02:31:12

Oh no! I just started The Other Wind yesterday. RIP to a wonderful writer. I shall finish Other Wind and then restart Earthsea again

allthatmalarkey Wed 24-Jan-18 07:25:53

One of my big heroes. Earthsea as a teenager, The Disposessed and The Left Hand Of Darkness both mind-blowing as an adult. Can't remember how many times I've recommended her to people.

Nefer795 Wed 24-Jan-18 07:35:10

An amazing, underrated writer. I stil remember the impact reading The Tombs of Atuan had on me aged 8 and the thrill of discovering 2 years on that it was part of a trilogy.

Buxbaum Wed 24-Jan-18 09:30:55

I heard of her death from the Letters of Note FB page, which had reprinted this fabulous letter. She was, I think, a uniquely respected female voice within her genre.

She apparently died peacefully at home at the age of eighty-eight. When my time comes I hope it looks something like that.

I'm currently pg. Sex unknown but I wonder if I could persuade DH that Ursula is a pretty brilliant name.

TinklyLittleLaugh Thu 25-Jan-18 10:35:55

Ursula has crossed over the stone wall.

She has been my favourite author for the last 40 odd years. I borrowed the Earthsea Trilogy from my primary school library as a little kid and only last week downloaded The Word for World is Forest onto my kindle.

I think she had a life well lived though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now