Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

I can't hold down a job and I don't know what to do now

(89 Posts)
feelinghopelessagain Tue 23-Jan-18 23:05:34

How do I survive? I survived on PIP which has been taken away, I'm appealing but it takes a year or more.

I lost another job again today. I'm too slow and the worst person at the job they have ever had. That's a quote. I started crying. I can't pay the rent after next month, I have nowhere to go, no friends or family who can let me stay, the council won't help because I'm not classed as disabled anymore even though my illnesses and health are still the same.

I don't know how to meet basic human needs like shelter and eating, let alone maintain quality of life. My quality of life was very good with PIP and working part time, and now I can't afford basics.

I live in London at present and moving to a cheaper city or town or village would be better but nowhere will accept me as a tenant with no job? I have £200 left so not exactly six months rent up front. (Please note, I am NOT begging or asking for money in any way by mentioning money I have at the moment. I am trying to write down some of the shite in my head because I am distressed and can't slow my thoughts down.)

What would you do in my situation? What is the minimum £ an adult needs to live in the cheapest part of the UK and how could someone make that per month?

Sonofficx Tue 23-Jan-18 23:11:30


What sort of previous jobs have you had and what are your job requirements? What were you doing when you worked part time and received PIP? What were you being slow at, according to your employer?

Is it an option to house or pet sit for someone for free while they are away?

Is it an option to occupy a room in a shared house where you do not have to pay 6 months upfront?

Akire Tue 23-Jan-18 23:16:47

Hi Op you should be entitled to JSAwhile You look and while you try and appeal PIP. I know in some cases you have a day if you have been sacked but think that’s more punching your boss as appears to physical not capable to keep up.

You should still be able to claim
Housing benefit on JSA or ESA (I presume they say you are too well for this)

feelinghopelessagain Tue 23-Jan-18 23:19:29

Thank you. All shared houses still don't want someone on benefits, and still need a deposit. I feel hopeless about being able to move.
I don't know anyone to house sit for but I can look online and see if I can find any adverts.

Slow at word processing and excel, and I suck at finding relevant information. I prioritise wrong. I ask too many questions. Jobs have all been office admin type roles because I can't stand for long and have problems with my joints.

I can't do hard physical work which is really frustrating me or I'd look for a live in role as a gardener somewhere away from London.

apacketofcrisps Tue 23-Jan-18 23:19:53

What sort of work were you doing?

feelinghopelessagain Tue 23-Jan-18 23:21:42

"I know in some cases you have a day if you have been sacked but think that’s more punching your boss as appears to physical not capable to keep up. "

hi thanks for your reply. The line above, I'm not sure what it means?

feelinghopelessagain Tue 23-Jan-18 23:22:29

Admin work and proof reading.

feelinghopelessagain Tue 23-Jan-18 23:24:22

I don't think I can claim JSA. The company are being very kind and letting me say I resigned for personal reasons so I don't have to ever say I was sacked on application forms in future. But resigning means not eligible to claim JSA.

NoSquirrels Tue 23-Jan-18 23:28:45

I’m not sure that is kind of them. JSA now would be of more benefit to you than a CV blip in a short-term job.

Ask them to formally sack you.

BlackRod6 Tue 23-Jan-18 23:28:59

Have you considered writing to your MP to see if they can advise you or help at all?

MonaTheMoaner Tue 23-Jan-18 23:30:14

If you are physically incapable of work, you can make a claim for ESA. If your employer would make a statement claiming you were too unwell to do your job adequately that would go a long way but with ESA in the early weeks before assessment you need a doctor to effectively write sick notes claiming you’re too unwell to work.

Your first port of call is to call ESA and get a GP appointment ASAP. You can claim ESA without PIP or while PIP is under appeal.

Would your current home accept housing benefit? You can claim housing benefit while claiming ESA and you can also claim it without it. It may take a few weeks to come through but it will be backdated.

I’m unsure if Universal Credit is in your area yet or how that works so hopefully someone more knowledgable will be along to advise.

DonnyAndVladSittingInATree Tue 23-Jan-18 23:32:31

Do not accept their “kind” offer of allowing you to resign! Make them sack you. Seriously, don’t screw yourself over out of politeness. It’s not a kindness.

Akire Tue 23-Jan-18 23:33:05

Sorry I didn’t explain it well. I meant if you try sign on because you have been sacked by being rubbish and making your boss sack you just to claim Benefits. Then they can say no. Not when you just can’t manage it but have been trying.

If work is happy to state to job centre that you left because you physically couldn’t cope or keep up with demands of job that should be fine. Sometimes you just don’t know you can till you try especially with health concerns.

You can still put down you left for personal reasons on your C V if they are happy to say the same.

feelinghopelessagain Tue 23-Jan-18 23:40:21

Thanks for the replies. I don't want to talk to them anymore though to ask them to sack me now. I'm so ashamed and don't want them to know anything about how fucked I am now. The HR person went to school with my cousins and they are still friends. I know their family to see and I just don't want them knowing I'm flat broke, ill and signing on.

feelinghopelessagain Tue 23-Jan-18 23:44:18

I've checked and housing benefit will cover just over half the rent. But I still don't know what to do about food or the bills. It feels hopeless.

MonaTheMoaner Tue 23-Jan-18 23:44:26

Unfortunately, by not talking to them about this issue you may not be able to sign on at all and could end up homeless.

I know your pride is all you have right now, I really do. I have a chronic illness that means I can’t hold down a job and the only reason I can pay my bills is due to me going back to university to study and receive loans and a measly amount of PIP per month but you really need a statement from them that you were formally fired for the government. You can say between yourselves on your CV that you resigned but formally, you need to have been fired.

Bluntness100 Tue 23-Jan-18 23:49:09

You're going to have to swallow your pride and say you will not resign. You do not have to ask them to fire you, simply say you will not resign. It's either that or be homeless.

DonnyAndVladSittingInATree Tue 23-Jan-18 23:51:05

OP seriously! You can’t pay rent with pride. This is too important. HR can’t disclose anything to anyone else about you btw. They’re not allowed to.

feelinghopelessagain Wed 24-Jan-18 00:00:21

I don't care enough. I'm going to end up in the gutter anyway because I still can't pay the rent, bills and eat with housing benefit so I'm only prolonging it all painfully. I'll be homeless by the time the next rent payment is due anyway.

I'm a lodger, have no rights, it won't take long for them to chuck my stuff out if I don't pay. It's not a process with formal eviction that can go on for a while.

Honestly they think I'm so stupid I can't have them crowing about how stupid I am and how I have to sign on.

feelinghopelessagain Wed 24-Jan-18 00:01:15

I can't go back in there and ask to refuse to resign. I will look mad because I will be crying while at the same time, asking them to please let me stay until they properly sack me.

DonnyAndVladSittingInATree Wed 24-Jan-18 00:03:35

You don’t ask to refuse to resign. You just don’t resign. Just keep turning up to work and they have to go through the process of sacking you.

MonaTheMoaner Wed 24-Jan-18 00:04:54

^^ this.

Akire Wed 24-Jan-18 00:07:27

If housing benefit only covers half rent is it very expenses? Dosnt sound like it’s a one bed with tenancy contract more informal bedroom lodger. In which case rent should be cheaper.

Do you have any contract or lease? Please contact shelter about advise.

feelinghopelessagain Wed 24-Jan-18 00:08:06

i can't sit there crying having repeat panic attacks, I cannot make an exhibition of myself.

Today I've cried on the street twice. i cant handle the idea of crying around everyone in the office at my desk.

DonnyAndVladSittingInATree Wed 24-Jan-18 00:10:19

If it is a choice between having a bed to sleep in and a bench to sleep in I would cry and snot over every single person I had to. Really, you have to see how important this is? What exactly is going to happen if you get kicked out of your room? Literally what happens?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now