Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Spelling/laughing

(6 Posts)
Cupcakes21 Tue 23-Jan-18 22:19:01

Why is it fair game to make fun of people's spelling mistakes. They may have learning difficulties. They may have dyslexia. There's things such as sexism ageism etc etc. But it's ok to laugh at people that find it difficult to spell. Why is that ?

MarklahMarklah Tue 23-Jan-18 22:23:47

Among my friends, the only people who cannot spell have no issues other than self-confessed laziness. My several friends with learning disabilities (including dyslexia, dyspraxia, autism, etc) all tend to check their writing with far more attention, and don't tend to make mistakes, despite their diagnoses.

Ombot Tue 23-Jan-18 22:25:24

Spelling mistakes can be very funny. It depends if someone is laughing at the error or the person. I wouldn't laugh at someone...just the error itself if it was funny.

MrsAmaretto Tue 23-Jan-18 22:25:39

Agree with Marklah.

Cupcakes21 Tue 23-Jan-18 22:43:54

I guess I kind of get the laughing at the mistake rather than the person.

I don't get the double checking things though. Because some people spell things how a word sounds. Sometimes it might not look right but then it does not mean they can get the spelling right.

MarklahMarklah Wed 24-Jan-18 08:32:53

My issue is that when I am with my peers, who have been through the same education system as me (and who don't have learning disabilities) cannot spell things.
One problem, perhaps is that people do not know the meaning of the word they want. Certainly understanding this helps.
I spoke with a dyslexic friend recently who said they had never been taught the actual difference (in meaning) between there/they're/their. They managed to find out, and now, understanding the meaning allows them to use the correct word.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now