Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

I hate my Edwardian 3 story house

(134 Posts)
iskegness Tue 23-Jan-18 20:54:22

Heating has been on all day, and it's still just so cold I'm with a blanket and three layers on the sofa just to keep warm.

Everyone says how beautiful it is, but I want a newish build semi that's boring but practical sad

300-400 quid a month on heating that just takes the edge off

WeeBeasties Tue 23-Jan-18 20:55:52

Are your diamond shoes too tight as well?

QuickSod Tue 23-Jan-18 20:56:46

Can you sell it and move?

ivykaty44 Tue 23-Jan-18 20:57:07

What have you done to insulate?

Doubletrouble99 Tue 23-Jan-18 20:57:13

Is there any way you can improve the insulation?

Ummmmgogo Tue 23-Jan-18 20:57:42

aww op are your diamond shoes too tight as well?!

you are so lucky to have a big house and 400 to spend on heating!

buy a onsie to wear and put your house on the market life is too short to be miserable and cold. good luck xx

Ummmmgogo Tue 23-Jan-18 20:58:25

lol @weebeasties great minds think alike

ivykaty44 Tue 23-Jan-18 20:59:38

Solar panels and storage heaters

RatRolyPoly Tue 23-Jan-18 21:00:30

Do any rooms have fireplaces so you can just have one nice, hot, cosy room and let the rest of it freeze?

finnmcool Tue 23-Jan-18 21:00:56

WeeBeasties that was harsh! I hope you were joking?
I was about to ask about insulation, heavy curtains?
It's horrible being cold.

iskegness Tue 23-Jan-18 21:05:02

Bah some of you..

Yes we've got fireplaces, but my usual log guy is out of wood and had a new delivery last week and it isn't seasoned. I bought a bag from lidl for 2.99 and that lasted a few hours but realistically I can't do that often just for one room.

The top floor has insulation but we've turned off the heating there and aren't using it at the moment. Curtains are quite thick but its just like the entire house is a giant heat sink. I can feel the cold radiating from the walls and floor

Kursk Tue 23-Jan-18 21:05:10

Given it’s age there must be fireplaces that you can light

Kursk Tue 23-Jan-18 21:05:42

Cross post! Can you get some coal?

GinandGingerBeer Tue 23-Jan-18 21:07:58

We’ve just replaced all our radiators in stages over 3 floors. The difference is bloody amazing, we have a warm house for the first time In Years.

finnmcool Tue 23-Jan-18 21:09:01

Can you get some large rugs? If it's draughty, do you have draught excluders?
What is your window situation?

Margomyhero Tue 23-Jan-18 21:09:27

It isn't always so simple to insulate an older house.

My house is a Victorian cottage. Lovely and cool in summer but despite double glazing and central heating it gets pretty chilly on the winter. Especially upstairs as apparently our loft space is impossible to insulate .

Also hankering after a house with less 'character' wink

finnmcool Tue 23-Jan-18 21:11:30

Oh and if you do have central heating, but it's not warming up properly, you might need a system flush.

Ylvamoon Tue 23-Jan-18 21:13:02

Maybe one of these will help to keep you warm...
www.thecostumestoreonline.co.uk/Edwardian.html

AnyFucker Tue 23-Jan-18 21:15:17

It must be the draught up those kitchen stairs

Gingersar23 Tue 23-Jan-18 21:16:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

wonkylegs Tue 23-Jan-18 21:17:19

You need to think about what you can do to change that

We moved into a leaky cold expensive Victorian Villa 4 years ago -
Today it's now cosy, comfortable and warm and doesn't cost a fortune to run

We insulated under the timber ground floor (through the crawl space - not a fun job but real difference) & in the roof space (much easier & round the loft hatch

New double glazed sash windows - main difference is these are draught proofed so no howling gale when the wind blows. Good long lined curtains add another layer.

Chimney sheep (balloons) in unused chimneys, fixed damper in one we use and close it when not in use.

Rehung and draught proofed front & rear door

When we fitted a new more efficient boiler & rads we also added a smart thermostat system so we can control temperatures on a room by room basis and turn off rooms we don't use

We've also sought out random draughts & holes and sorted them out - the house is never going to airtight but is so so much better and warmer

It's been so worth it. It can be done but it may be hard work and require some expense.

Next step is to sort out the conservatory but I suspect that requires a knock down rebuild approach

finnmcool Tue 23-Jan-18 21:19:46

wonklegs I want a chimney sheep! grin
I do agree though, I have a chimney balloon and it made the world of difference.

mrsBeverleyGoldberg Tue 23-Jan-18 21:20:01

You might need to get your central heating flushed. Also get cavity wall insulation.

Yogamatcat Tue 23-Jan-18 21:20:19

Try a chimney sheep to block the chimneys when not in use. Made a big difference to our similar house.
Thick curtains, shut all doors and draft excluders.

finnmcool Tue 23-Jan-18 21:21:58

Am really giggling at the chimney sheep grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now