Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

How do I survive the summer holidays?

(23 Posts)
HomeMeasurements Tue 23-Jan-18 16:56:46

I know this has been done to death but I'm already stressed out about summer hols.

I thought we'd be able to go on holiday this year but just don't think we have the cash. We could probably stretch to about 1k for a holiday maybe but there are six of us (DC all small) so not sure. We happily camp but youngest DC is a small baby so I'm a bit less keen.

DC aren't keen on doing holiday clubs usually but maybe could find one to do for a week.

Got a couple of countryside friends we could stay with for long weekends (probably not welcome longer than that).

London based so can do some days out.

But what else?? The summer is so so long and DH works long hours/is away. Last summer the DC were so incredibly bored even though I did try really hard to make it fun. But I think they were quite jealous that all their friends had had two week holidays in the south of France etc.

NancyDonahue Tue 23-Jan-18 17:02:29

There have been a couple of good threads about UK holidays lately. Lots of members are finding west country cottages etc for well under 1k for a week

madeyemoodysmum Tue 23-Jan-18 17:02:52

Could you book a travel lodge or something for a few nights. Book early and you can get a good deal.

Caravan park At last minute might have something if your prepared to drop and run.

I use owners direct cottages and find prices are very varied so it's worth looking Choose somewhere out of the norm and you could get lucky.

formerbabe Tue 23-Jan-18 17:06:32

Its really hard isn't it if you don't go away...it's a long six weeks to fill. Last summer the weather was rubbish so we didn't even have the long lazy days in the park with a picnic I'd imagined.

Watching with interest.

ladybirdsaredotty Tue 23-Jan-18 17:12:21

Watching too. This year I'll have a 6yo, a 4yo (who will be entitled to 22 hrs a week at nursery but won't send her in every session so don't have to drag others out, plus starts school in Sept), and 8/9mo. We work shifts so only 1 of us about at any 1 time. Probably can't afford a holiday. Hmm...confused

madeyemoodysmum Tue 23-Jan-18 17:12:45

https://t.hmwy.io/r2kd/PEduYKNHWJ

Ohyesiam Tue 23-Jan-18 17:13:04

Air band b place on the coast?
I used to find camping with a baby / toddler better than being at home. No problems when the food all ends up on the floor etc!
Nice hippy campsite where you can have camp fire, no club house, close to a beach. Dorset coat around Bridport has a few nice ones, and not a massive drive from London.
And when you are home picnic lunch in the park every day, get the kids to help make fruit kebabs with wooden skewers. BBQ if b you can in your park or garden.

madeyemoodysmum Tue 23-Jan-18 17:13:40

https://t.hmwy.io/r2kd/Ojz1rKGHWJ

madeyemoodysmum Tue 23-Jan-18 17:14:06

https://t.hmwy.io/r2kd/SBxVdxyHWJ

madeyemoodysmum Tue 23-Jan-18 17:14:44

https://t.hmwy.io/r2kd/Nl4uUcTHWJ

madeyemoodysmum Tue 23-Jan-18 17:15:25

Wales seems to be good prices. Also sent one for Hastings and Dorset. All good distance from London.

TefalTester123 Tue 23-Jan-18 17:18:08

Take a look at the family rooms in Youth Hostels. Also some have camping cabins. Some family rooms sleep up to 6, can then self-cater and keep costs down. Also you can camp in the grounds of some hostels but still use their kitchens etc, even cheaper. Free breakfasts for U10s was on offer a few years ago.

converseandjeans Tue 23-Jan-18 17:28:39

- Go on eurotunnel/ferry over to Calais - there are a couple of nice sites really near the port & they have pre-erected tents and mobile homes. Guines - camping la bien assise or St Valery - domaine de drancourt. I would be surprised if they came up as more than 1k. They will have been 'abroad' but on the cheap. Try canvas holidays.
- National Trust membership.
- YHA have some really nice hostels with family rooms big enough.
- organise some play dates well in advance
- try camping (honestly little kids love camping)
- library challenge
- picnics
- kids am at cinema
- see if anyone will do house swap (if you are near London they might?)

probablynotthesame Tue 23-Jan-18 17:45:43

Can you/ would you consider a house swap? Especially if you’re in London your location will be desirable, that way you won’t have to pay for accommodation at least and you’re not limited to the uk.

Bobbybobbins Tue 23-Jan-18 17:51:38

As a pp suggested, we have just booked a week chalet camping in Normandy for your budget, including ferry. Now fingers crossed for good weather! My sil spent more on a cottage in Wiltshire last summer so I don't think it's too bad.

Canklesofglitter Tue 23-Jan-18 18:15:56

The prices in Cornwall have been creeping up for years. I looked this year and a fortnight was £3k. I've done lots of searching for seaside places in cheaper areas and found Cumbria and Dumfries and Galloway to be very good value. I've just booked a sea view, 3 bed, 4 star cottage for a fortnight for £1300 so a week would be around the £700 mark.

For other ideas look at the National Trust and English Heritage websites as they often do activities in holidays which are free for members. Used regularly, membership can prove very good value.

It's also worth looking at museum websites and the 2 for 1 deals you often get with train tickets. Clubcard and Nectar points might also yield a day out if you look at the offers.

Fettuccinecarbonara Tue 23-Jan-18 18:20:51

Make a list (with the dc) of places you’d like to go/ things you’d like to do, and a seperate list of people you’d like to see.

I book mine into the (local church, very cheap) holiday club for one week.

One day each week we visit an attraction (if the weather is good) off our list of places we want to visit.

One day per week is a tidy up at home/cooking day

One day is an outing with friends (to park/beach/Woods etc) we take a picnic

One day I work, so they do go into holiday clubs

The other day we either arrange play dates here (for each of them) or do something like swimming, cycling etc.

I find that if I plan, the dc are firstly, happy to be at home when they are in for the day, secondly appreciative of visiting places, and thirdly they REALLY enjoy the holidays!

confusedofengland Tue 23-Jan-18 18:24:02

I had similar last year. 3 DSes age 8 & under, just me at home with them for most of the holidays, no holiday & no money!

What I did was to make a list of local places I wanted to visit with them - parks, woods etc. I asked local friends for their recommendations & made detailed notes of cost, location, facilities etc. We visited a couple of new places each week, mixed in with some old favourites such as the local playground. We also met up with schoolfriends a lot.

For the week that DH was off, we used our Merlin passes to do a few days out - London, theme parks & Warwick Castle (staying with family who are only an hour away).

Days at home were filled with crafts, board games, paddling pool in the garden & playing in the playroom.

soberexpat Tue 23-Jan-18 18:27:50

I’m overseas and we had 11 weeks summer holiday last year, in 52 degree heat!

And DH and I both work.

We had a list of ‘new’ places to visit and did one a week. I saved up lots of new toys and games to do inside the house. DH and I each took a day off a week. We managed a week away.

I was actually surprised by how fast it flew by.

Sleephead1 Tue 23-Jan-18 19:06:59

Hiya we had really good summer last year i only have a little boy so easier hope this helps. We did go away for a few days glamping last year which was so good and might be better for you with a baby ? Apart from that we did lots of day trips to big parks so took public transport and a picnic and spent the day there. We have a local park which has a water park part so we did that a few times and the beach as we very local. We also took the ferry over the water and had a day out there. We went to a country park lots to do but they also had events on like treasure hunt, bug hunt, den building so we booked those. Libary have craft sessions on, our local sure start had activities on during week stay and play type things. Local museums had events on some free or very small charge. Then went to another museum for the day that was amazing. We also went to a English heratige site when they had a knights event on , we've been to a pirates one in the past. We also printed things of nature detectives and did nature trails and bug hunts. We planted things in pots and did craft things / baking ECT.

AppleAndBlackberry Tue 23-Jan-18 19:19:35

I think you could camp in France for under £1k or rent a static caravan or a cottage in the UK. We stayed in a 3-bedroom house in the Peak District for £700 for a week a few years ago, the decor was a bit dated but it was a great location.

Otherwise maybe try to meet up with friends as much as possible to make it more fun for your older DC?

Notasperfectasallothermners Tue 23-Jan-18 19:24:27

Camping with a baby is great!! Cat net over the travel cot!! Old clothes for crawlers /onesie over nice stuff!! Let the older one push the buggy around!! Ikea high chair!!

Lavenderdays Wed 24-Jan-18 20:59:44

Hi HomeMeasurements
I almost dread the approach of the Summer Holidays since having dc2 (now 4) because I found myself pushed out of some activities that I was easily able to do with dc1 (now 11). Some friends didn't seem so keen to accommodate dc2 in the mix and it is finding activities to suit the two different age groups - junior cinema was o.k as was swimming because dc1 was much older/swims like a fish. However, to complicate things further we are likely to have a newborn in the mix this Summer. Our usual camping holiday is out and we have just booked a shorter hotel break. I tend to focus on sorting dc1 out with activities (they have a hobby they like to pursue, so not impossible) and then dc2 will have to fit around this. We do craft sessions, visits to the park, visit a local farm park, cinema (junior films), put a tent up in the back garden etc. Not sure how its going to pan out this year with three in the mix, definitely not so mobile...use to go here, there and everywhere with only dc1. Watching this thread with interest but when the Summer Holidays do arrive - it is never as bad as the anticipation - a bit of planning does help though I find, so it is good to source ideas. Money isn't really the issue for us (although there are limits of course) it is more the logistics and I have no external support in the holidays other than dh who works full-time, no extended family etc and I am a sahm so main care provider, dc2 is super energetic and has no fear...really not sure how this is going to work...will be spending loads of time in the park with picnics I think to break the day up a bit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now