Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

What are the roads like in your area?

(55 Posts)
treaclesoda Tue 23-Jan-18 16:12:24

In 25 years of driving I have never experienced such poorly maintained roads. They are just getting worse and worse. Dangerously bad in fact. There are stretches of road I use where it's not just potholes (although there are plenty of those as well) but areas of road where the entire top layer is gone and you are driving on gravel.

Is it the same in your area?

CMOTDibbler Tue 23-Jan-18 16:18:52

In my county, brilliant. They have an ongoing proactive road maintenance programme, and so there are few potholes. The next county (5 miles away) and they are terrible

idontlikealdi Tue 23-Jan-18 16:19:41

Awful. Huge potholes. We live very near a borough border and they are way worse o one side than the other but both bad.

MavisPike Tue 23-Jan-18 16:21:44

really bad and yet they want to build thousands more houses bringing more cars

treaclesoda Tue 23-Jan-18 16:24:35

I honestly don't understand how a country as wealthy as the UK can be so hopelessly short sighted when it comes to spending on infrastructure and just trot out 'we can't afford to fix it' time after time.

The barely used rural roads in France are better than some of the main roads here confused

ToadOfSadness Tue 23-Jan-18 16:30:26

Apparently we have been listed as one of the most affluent areas. I fail to see why. In my road alone there is a pothole so deep it could be used as a pond, and several others almost as bad. The speed bumps are also starting to crumble.

Due to supposed affluent area we pay a lot of Council Tax for our non-maintained roads. I read an article a while ago about a man who paints male genitals around the potholes and somehow they get fixed. I think I will try it.

user1466690252 Tue 23-Jan-18 16:32:15

pot holes not too bad, but my god the traffic. in the past 2 years it has gotten so so so much worse. a 10 min journey takes 50 mins. it's pure insanity. This is mainly because more and more houses are being built, and no-one wants to pay for the infastructure to support these houses.

thepatchworkcat Tue 23-Jan-18 16:32:30

Horrendous near me. I’ve only been driving 2 years though but I do feel they’re worse than they used to be. Massive holes all over.

GladysKnight Tue 23-Jan-18 16:36:11

Terrible

- rural sw, tory council that doesn't like spending. Much worse since the frosty weather - happens every year. They'll patch up the worst bits but by next January it will be worse than ever

GladysKnight Tue 23-Jan-18 16:37:24

I daresay labour councils are just as strapped mind. Great news for the tyre shop though!

raindropsandsunshine Tue 23-Jan-18 16:38:10

Rural east anglia here, I have noticed a recent decline although they're never great to be honest. More pot holes lately, worse after every cold snap.

thenightsky Tue 23-Jan-18 16:38:57

Absolutely awful pot holes. I fear for the lives of cyclists and bikers.

verystressedmum Tue 23-Jan-18 16:47:09

We had snow and ice and again the roads are horrendous full of massive holes

TillyVonMilly Tue 23-Jan-18 16:53:49

Grim, loads of potholes, some of which are more like trenches and following on from the snow and ice, they’re getting worse. Many on the roads around me are narrow and it’s very hilly, Pennines, but we get lots of lorries many of the larger ones struggle with sharp bends or end up grounded on the steep inclines. The traffic has increased a huge amount over the last ten years but the maintenance hasn’t sad

BitOutOfPractice Tue 23-Jan-18 16:55:07

Funny you should post this as we were just talking about this last night.

All of a sudden, LOADS of really nasty potholes have opened up - almost overnight!

shoofly Tue 23-Jan-18 16:58:57

Utterly shocking here. But then we've had no local government in over a year, and prior to that they didn't even manage a budget. Meanwhile my local MP is giving Boris Johnson, a run for his money, in the who is the bigger idiot stakes...and suggesting a bridge to Scotland. confused How about they sort out the state of the roads first?

mumonashoestring Tue 23-Jan-18 16:59:10

Dreadful across Oxfordshire - rural roads are peppered with potholes that can knock your wheels out of alignment, city roads are rutted and ridged from heavy buses and lorries on main routes and covered in potholes and unfinished edges in residential streets. Misery to drive or cycle on.

I don't think it's just weight of traffic either - recently resurfaced bits of the city centre are already knackered. I think the general quality/hardiness of the materials used has got worse.

dannydyerismydad Tue 23-Jan-18 17:03:52

Bloody awful.

And even more frustrating that potholes fixed a few weeks ago are gaping chasms again. If they invested a tiny bit more and did it properly they wouldn't need to keep doing the same patch up jobs every 6-8 weeks.

Oldraver Tue 23-Jan-18 17:04:25

We live in West Oxfordshire and the roads are appalling. Some of the potholes are great gouges in the road. The car regularily goes bang when you hot unsuspecting ones.

You see people driving down our main road zigzagging down the road.

I need to get our allignmnet checked as I am sure it's been knocked out. Almost new car as well.

RhubarbAndCustards Tue 23-Jan-18 17:06:08

I’ve reported 3 today within 100 metres of my house. Rural roads with increasing traffic on. In fact one is so bad that neighbours have put cones next to it warn drivers.

Oldraver Tue 23-Jan-18 17:09:38

Also...a section of road in our town has recently has been very badly top surfaced..The driving surface is worse than it was. The next village had top surfacing before Christmas at a junction with a mini roundabout....a couple of weeks later it had worn away to reveal the roundabout markings underneath (neither areas of top surfacing have had road markings re-done...just a small triangle painted on the road humps

Whoever has the contract for this is doing a really bad job

ShotsFired Tue 23-Jan-18 17:09:54

Curate's egg round my way.

Some are fab, some you almost need crampons to get through.

My LA are tolerable at repairs when reported.

tapdancingmum Tue 23-Jan-18 17:10:54

I was going to say I live in Bucks and you can tell when you get into Oxfordshire as the roads are better but oldraver and mumonashoestring would obviously disagree with me! They are an absolute disgrace and you wonder what our council tax goes on.

Gazelda Tue 23-Jan-18 17:11:15

Terrible (Hertfordshire). A few of the worst were repaired a couple of weeks ago, and they're already deteriorating.

tapdancingmum Tue 23-Jan-18 17:18:52

Just found this article which was written last year.

www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry/potholes-how-much-they-cost-uk-and-how-they-are-fixed

Apparently all councils are to have £50m a year for five years (starting last year). It would be nice to know if this is true and it was spent on repairing pot holes and road surfaces.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now