Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

How to manage / cater to Millenials?

(20 Posts)
octonaught Tue 23-Jan-18 02:28:19

Genuine question. I haven't wohm for a decade.
I will be picking up the strands of a business (travel based) in a few months and some of the people I will employ on a casual basis will be 20 somethings; Millenials. Also future customers; instead of being baby boomers which I know, will be Gen X'a and younger.

So how do you cater for / employ people who live & breathe technology; perhaps have higher expectations of what they are entitled to. Want experiences, not work?

ciaa Tue 23-Jan-18 02:34:40

Why would you need to treat them differently?

EssentialHummus Tue 23-Jan-18 02:38:44

With respect, I’m not sure it’s your problem. You’re employing these people, and the rules/requirements of work are the same whether one is 20 or 60.

WhatToDoAboutThis2017 Tue 23-Jan-18 02:39:56

have higher expectations of what they are entitled to.

Don’t judge them, for a start. Even if you don’t say it verbally, they will sense it if you have such an attitude.

They’re people just like anyone else; they don’t need to be treated differently.

LookImAHooman Tue 23-Jan-18 02:44:55

have higher expectations of what they are entitled to.

Bit of an odd hour to be a GF.

midsomermurderess Tue 23-Jan-18 03:05:13

Aren’t most millennials in their mid 30s? What on earth is so alien about them?

EnidButton Tue 23-Jan-18 03:17:37

You realise you're being ageist right?

BoomBoomsCousin Tue 23-Jan-18 03:29:23

OP I think if you haven't been in the commercial world for quite a while you are sensible to be wondering how it's changed. I don't think it's just gen-xers and millennials who will have different expectations from those around at the turn of the century or earlier though. Everyone has moved on some. I would look at how the business is currently run to familiarize yourself with the technology (or if you are supposed to be breathing new life into it, look at its competitors). For instance, for many businesses the online side of things is critical to success.

For employees, labour laws have changed somewhat and people seem to be more aware of how abusive some workplaces can be. I'm not suggesting you would run an abusive workplace, but I do thing some norms over behaviour and language have changed a bit because of this and you might want to be a little careful how you refer to people if your own current norms are still 20+ years old. Also, I think a lot of people are used to a fairly fast turn around on communication (thanks to technology!) if you weren't used to email and voicemail as a part of the working world this might be a bit of a surprise. I think workplaces are a bit less formal, on the whole, than they used to be (more true in some industries than others). If it suits your industry people might be inclined to a more flexible work schedule with things like working from home being more popular than it used to be (also thanks to technology!). I think on the whole younger people also tend to respond better to more positive language, personal attention and to opportunities to take the initiative.

BUT all of this depends very much on your business and who you meet/work with/target. Things are very diverse. For instance, while I think it's true that Millenials, in particular, respond well to more positive language, it's an average, it's not true of every last one of them. I think your best bet is probably to try and spend some time in the office of this business (or a similar one) you're picking up and see how it works and how it's different from your past experience.

Anymajordude Tue 23-Jan-18 07:04:51

Millennials are just people like anyone else. Don't fall for all the rubbish you see in the press about them being entitled avocado toast eaters. That's designed to let DM readers feel justified in not feeling sorry for them because young people can't afford to buy a house, pay back their student loan and have a pension.

pigeondujour Tue 23-Jan-18 07:10:38

What the fuck are you on about?

BIWI Tue 23-Jan-18 07:12:16

You might like to watch this Millennial interview grin

riledandharrassed Tue 23-Jan-18 07:12:39

The rules and requirements of work aren’t the same 😂

I work in tech and we have lots of work from home / remote policies , tech allowances, stocked fridges, days off for charity projects etc ! We have to give a great package to support people who are young and highly skilled

BIWI Tue 23-Jan-18 07:13:09

... but on a more serious note, PP are right. If you're their employer, they work to your rules and criteria. Thinking that you should be treating younger employees any differently from others is ageist.

wowfudge Tue 23-Jan-18 07:17:34

For starters you might want to learn to spell Millennials correctly, but honestly they are all people.

octonaught Tue 23-Jan-18 08:18:08

Yes, I just saw that video on Facebook, which I know was a joke, but it got me thinking. My business is homebased and i have had some younger people working for me in the past; I think I have been a good employer, the work was flexible, there were lots of non work related activities & plenty of food! I got good feedback and people who came back.

When I say I am picking up the threads, it is a business I started with my exH. It is not unique, but now i will be continuing on my own.

octonaught Tue 23-Jan-18 08:40:53

(Have had to resort to my netbook as I was not getting very far, stabbing away with one finger on my phone.)

I guess from an employer point of view, I will be ok.
However, I am also trying to future proof the business, so that it can adapt to attract a demographic who have grown up in a different era.

Basic things like having high speed internet everywhere. I had a 20 something say to me, the internet is like electricity (ie she couldn't imagine not having it). And that just about sums it up.

I have been researching a bit on line, and it has given me some ideas. However, when I worked in an office, we were given so many training courses. An office based friend said that she recently went on a course which taught her how to manage her team which ranged in age from early 20's to 55, and they needed different approaches. So I feel as an employer, to maintain good people, it cannot be a "one size fits all" approach.

BIWI Tue 23-Jan-18 09:56:43

Well yes, but that approach is the same for everyone, regardless of their age.

Employees these days do expect a lot more from their employer. When I first started work - back in the Jurassic age grin - the only refreshments we had provided for us was via a vending machine. And we had to pay for that ourselves!

Now, the company I work for provides breakfast cereals, various different teas and coffees, dairy milk, almond milk, soy milk, oat milk, various fruits and also - for Fridays, when we finish a little earlier, beer, wine, gin, crisps and snacks!

And as a Baby Boomer, I feel just the same as your Millennial does about the internet/access to WiFi/broadband. Without it, it feels like my left arm has been removed.

octonaught Tue 23-Jan-18 10:54:54

OK so I am catering to a different world, not a demographic

DonnyAndVladSittingInATree Tue 23-Jan-18 11:08:00

Wow! Maybe drop your prejudices that that they have monitors for heads, demand you wipe their bums, and have no interest in actually working. hmm

CMOTDibbler Tue 23-Jan-18 11:20:00

I work for a silicon valley based company, who fairly recently spent a lot of money finding out what Millenials wanted (tbf the job market in the Bay is bonkers).
Unsuprisingly, what they wanted was recognition for what they did, flexible working patterns, and a career path. Just like us oldies then!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now