Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

3 days before menstruation Depression - anyone else?

(25 Posts)
babyturtles Mon 22-Jan-18 22:19:08

Every single period without fail I get 1-2 days of overwhelming depression, 3 days before I'm due on.

I know PMS is very common, but does anyone else get exactly this, exactly like clockwork every month?

It's become almost a running joke to me, I feel listless and have suicidal thoughts and think - ah, must be due... check the calendar, and yes, it's 3 days before I'm due on.

It's obviously not bad enough for anti-depressants because it is literally 1/2 days of it but I'm feeling lonely and wondering if anyone else has the same kind of thing.

IHaveACuntingPlan Mon 22-Jan-18 22:39:23

There is such a thing as premenstrual dysmorphic disorder that can cause severe depression before your period that's worse than the usual pmt rage. Could you have this?

Whatabanana Mon 22-Jan-18 22:41:58

Omg I had this today too. For me it is seven days exactly. I don't know if it has happened all my life (possibly) as I only worked it out relatively recently. Handy for knowing when period will arrive but terrible in every other way!

Akire Mon 22-Jan-18 22:45:57

Yes I have this, had since started 30y ago. Been more noticeable times than others. Always just linked it with x and y was happening and then had my period. Not thinking the trigger was period. Started on Prozac 7 days before I’m due for few months. Seems to be helping.

Was worried as lots of talk about coming off them slowly and start stopping seemed to go against what everyone did. Worth talking to your GP and seeing what you can try. My cycle been up creek so it’s not always easy to take 7 full days is cycle is shorter or longer than it should be but having something to help easy out the bumps seems help. I also would feel rotten but only one day when things were horrific (not sure what particular hormone leak or drop it links too).

Akire Mon 22-Jan-18 22:47:57

I always managed to convince self it would pass but it’s just horrific knowing you are going feel like that and nothing physically you can do to lift it. So don’t think well I’ve never hurt myself it’s not that bad!

Nousernameforme Mon 22-Jan-18 22:54:10

Dd gets this for the two days before she comes on. It's awful to watch it's proper black hole despair and then period starts and she feels a bit daft. Getting her through those days is the main thing it helps her to know it's purely hormonal and she will feel better very soon but she still has to go through it.

ProfessorPickles Mon 22-Jan-18 22:55:38

Yep! Usually 1 or 2 days before I get my period I feel absolutely miserable and have suicidal thoughts. I wonder what the point in living is, then a few days later I come on and feel massively relieved!

Draylon Mon 22-Jan-18 22:56:29

It helped me enormously to understand that the reason I suddenly hit such a low was because my period was due. I realised (with a degree of feminist anger!) that I was in thrall to my hormones, and that I'd feel better tomorrow.

LuluJakey1 Mon 22-Jan-18 22:58:24

Yes, sad, think about depressing things, anxious, can cry at the drop of a hat. Every month when I get my period I think 'Oh that's what it was!' It never occurs to me when it is happening.

LuluJakey1 Mon 22-Jan-18 22:59:43

Lasts about 3 days before period. Ends withing a day of period starting.

sparklesbarkles Mon 22-Jan-18 23:09:52

Yes! 2-3 days before I feel so hopeless and low

MalcolmsBrokenWalrusMoneybox Mon 22-Jan-18 23:12:22

Have you tried taking oil of evening primrose? I used to get horrible self hatred about a week before AF, oil of evening primrose really really helped.
I've not taken it recently and am in a "getting emotions back" phase, but Friday I really wished I didn't exist anymore.

GretaBritain Mon 22-Jan-18 23:16:23

Yes, yes and yes!

Came on today and I feel ok now but the last few days have been awful. Listlessness, tears, no motivation and generally just feeling weighed down and hopeless.

I keep meaning to look into it and here is a thread about it. It is definitely a thing isn't it?

Akire Mon 22-Jan-18 23:25:05

Defo a thing! Just because you put up with it doesn’t mean there isn’t things to help. If it’s effecting work or home life. How much difference would it make if you didn’t feel that awful?

Akire Mon 22-Jan-18 23:27:13

For me it’s not just tearful or sad it’s seriously questioning why you are alive and who would notice if you were dead. Then period arrives and boom 12h later it’s like it never happened.

GretaBritain Mon 22-Jan-18 23:35:03

That is awful Akire sad.

I remember listening, a few years ago, to an interview with Denise Welch where she descibes similiar. She credited hormone treatment via a Harley Street doctor as being a lifesaver.

I am off to google....

bluejelly Mon 22-Jan-18 23:39:46

I had similar. Desperately sad, 5 days before period. Just wanted to cry alone in a room. Hated my partner, family and myself.
Low dose Prozac has helped enormously. I take it for around 10
Days before my period. I'm a changed woman and feel so much happier all month round.

GretaBritain Mon 22-Jan-18 23:41:11

Interesting article in relation to this...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/lifestyle/11698416/HRT-instead-of-anti-depressants.html

Ribrabrob Tue 23-Jan-18 01:20:35

Oh yes I get this 2 days before my period, it's awful. The sense of despair and depression is overwhelming. But sure enough, as soon as my period arrives it disappears. In fact for the first few days of my period I actually feel content and happy, however this doesn't make up for the severe depression beforehand.

I don't have much advice I'm afraid op and I hope it's nice to know you're not alone, but one thing I find helps is that I never ever make a decision during the time of pms. I always wait until after it has disappeared to make any decisions about my life.

Whatamuddleduck Tue 23-Jan-18 04:50:43

Yup me too. 2-3 days before period. It comes on quite suddenly and feels like a big black cloud has landed. Usually duicidal thoughts. It really helps to know what it is and that it will pass. Currently pg and enjoying the respite!

mizu Tue 23-Jan-18 07:21:19

This really is more common than people think.

I suffered for years pretty much getting PMS after ovulation so 10-12 days each month of feeling drained, emotional and just awful. Very heavy bleeding too.

Tried everything, cutting down on sugar did help a bit, no alcohol too.

Had a full hysterectomy over 2 years ago at 42 ( interestingly my mum had one at this age too and her mum) and am a different person.

My sister has bad PMS too and takes St John's Wort.

Saysomethingnice Tue 23-Jan-18 08:04:34

Yesterday's me too, not 2, 3 day but severe depression.. I asked doctor tomorrow refer to meet tomorrow talking therapy, no questions they asked ne were relevant to me and in the end after talking to supervisory the call operator there said I wasn't bad enough for therapy like that confused. Although I said when I get it, it seems severe.
Interesting that there is extreme form of it.
My biggest issues is pcos and irregular periods means harder to track it down to it

RainbowPastel Tue 23-Jan-18 08:56:16

I get this too. Think everyone hates me. Go over how I could commit suicide.

Draylon Tue 23-Jan-18 18:41:22

How interesting- so, ladies, why isn't this a thing?

If every bloke got these emotions for 2-3 days a month (plus possibly PMT...) don't we all think it would be 'out there' and dealt with??!

babyturtles Tue 23-Jan-18 20:09:16

Possibly just because it's a combination of 2 slightly taboo subjects - periods and mental health?

Thank you everybody for replying last night, it did make me feel better to know I wasn't alone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now